Slooowww doooowneeee

DeanS

Featured Posts

Because there's a massive breaking wash and stuff flies of my cooker?

How odd? I've been living aboard for nearly 10 years and I can't recall a single item ever falling from a shelf, table or cooker because of a passing boat. :unsure:

And I've been living on the Thames for the past year where boats are allowed to go at 8kph and regularly speed past faster.

Edited by blackrose

They could have a beast back there but somehow I doubt their 33hp izuzu or whatever has much headroom. Congrats on avoiding the point and being pedantic instead though.

How odd? I've been living aboard for nearly 10 years and I can't recall a single item ever falling from a shelf, table or cooker because of a passing boat. :unsure:

Try mooring between 6 hire bases and see how it goes.

They could have a beast back there but somehow I doubt their 33hp izuzu or whatever has much headroom. Congrats on avoiding the point and being pedantic instead though.

Try mooring between 6 hire bases and see how it goes.

No one was avoiding any point. I have made my views very clear that the wash/wake made by pleasure boats really in the scheme of things is quite insignificant.

You can never please everyone and what you take as being the correct speed to pass moored boats is not ever going to be the same as what the next person sees as the right speed to pass moored boats. Each to their own. Personally I think that life is too short to moan at people all the time. If you suffer discomfort it will only be for a short while. We choose to spend time on boats, boats float in water, there will be some movement, learn to live with it.

I just do not understand this. Like many boaters I moor up 365 days a year as I do not cruise for 24 hours a day I admire you for being able to cruise 24 hours a day for weeks on end. We all cruise for different reason I like to find nice places and then spend time exploring the area (great invention the bus pass)

Correct you clearly don't understand. So you miss the point.

I didn't build the canals and I doubt you did either.

As far as I was aware the canals were built for transport not travel.

Nobody can travel constantly on the canals - that's an impossibility.

If people want to keep their boats moored for the majority of the time rather than move surely that's their business? How is it shameful? Some people have jobs and lives outside of boating which means that they can't "constantly move" as you put it. Anyway, can you imagine the mayhem and congestion if eveyone with a boat followed your advice?

And you have clearly proved my point.

Terence

How do you know they are "flying past at full throttle"?

Because Im normally lobbing lumps of coal at them. I suppose I should fit some fiddles to the floor and slot my boy into them so hye doesn't get bowled over the next time a sbc/hireboat 'unt comes past full tilt. Still, maybe its my fault that I don't stow my baby in the correct way

No one was avoiding any point. I have made my views very clear that the wash/wake made by pleasure boats really in the scheme of things is quite insignificant.

You can never please everyone and what you take as being the correct speed to pass moored boats is not ever going to be the same as what the next person sees as the right speed to pass moored boats. Each to their own. Personally I think that life is too short to moan at people all the time. If you suffer discomfort it will only be for a short while. We choose to spend time on boats, boats float in water, there will be some movement, learn to live with it.

If that water had hit my son it wouldn't have been 'discomfort for a short while'. It would have scared him for life. I guess he could have learned to live with it though, eh?

Charming ! see you have made over 2000 posts are they all in this same tone ?or have you had something positive to add to the discussion.

IMO when you have to resort to swearing at posters remarks to get your point over, you just lost your side of the argument and just shows the "types" cruising the cut.( "Types" used in place of other name so as not to lower myself to your level)

How ironic you tell people to have respect for the "waterways environment" perhaps you should try that with the posters on this site.

That is so typical of you and your kind. Get indignant about how I say it and not listen to what I say. My argument stands on its own, with out your snide rebuttle. Go home little boy! Come out to play when your balls drop.

And you have clearly proved my point.

I think I must have missed your point, Terence, if Blackrose has proved it.

Surely you're not saying that the canals should be the preserve of those who earn a living from them, or use them in the way that they were used, before being rescued by the leisure industry?

Also, with the introduction of ParcelForce and DHL, surely delivering your tinware by boat is a frippery amounting to a holiday?

You earn your living by painting canalware, not by canal freight. Transporting your product by boat is a hobby, not a necessity.

I'm with you on this Maffi.

My mode of operation is NOT to stick to the max speed limit posted on the waterways I use. I have a speed log so I can judge that I don't exceed it but primarily I am guided by my wash. If my wash is breaking on the bank then I am going too fast even if I am below the speed limit so I adjust my speed to suit.

With regard to passing moored boats I don't automatically slow to tickover. Rather I check my wash before I get there. I adjust my speed so that my wash is not much more than a ripple on the bank. That speed can vary according to the width, the depth, and my distance from the bank. I've had narrow boaters pop their heads out when they are aware I'm coming but then smile and wave when they realise what I'm doing. If I get that its a bonus for my day.

I don't have a narrow boat on a canal. I have a three ton, 32 foot long, 10 foot wide cruiser and I use it primarily on the Fossedyke and Witham but I learned my skills on many holidays on the Broads and Thames and I find they transfer very well to my new area. But surely the same principle work for all waterways.

It's not the speed that you use to judge the effect you are having but your wash and that rule applies wherever you are doesn't it?

Your approach is basically well founded, and the natural progression from the "tickover" rule of thumb, for those who are more experienced, is to actually read the effect that you are having, in order to arrive at the optimal speed where you cause no more effect than passing at tickover, but don't slow down nearly as much, and benefit from the boat handling better.

The one problem that you do have is that the thing that you are reading isn't the thing that you should be reading.

Wash is what determines the effect that you will have on bank erosion, because wash creates a continuous rolling scour that removes bank material. The relatively short wavelength of a typical wash will not, however, have very much effect on moored boats at all.

The water movement that causes moored boats to move is the far longer wavelength water level depression that runs ahead of and alongside the moving boat.

As the prop moves water from ahead of the boat. the water level falls, and increases behind the moving boat. It is this that moves boats.

So, don't look behind at your wash. Look forwards to the bank at about midships. Look how high above the water level the bank is wet, and set your speed to minimise this.

If that water had hit my son it wouldn't have been 'discomfort for a short while'. It would have scared him for life. I guess he could have learned to live with it though, eh?

Im still struggling to see how the wake of one narrowboat passing another narrowboat can cause such severe rocking of the moored boat so as to launch the kettle from the hob.

It seems highly unlikely to me given the movement we have witnessed on our much smaller and lighter boat from passing boats. We dont have fiddled tables or gimbles on the hob yet have somehow managed in quite choppy conditions to keep all kettles, pans, plates and mugs either on the hob or in the cupboard.

I suppose the next question of course would be why was your son so close to a lit hob and a kettle of boiling water. But that is another topic in itself.

• Greenie 1

Out of idle curiosity, to all those peeps who who like to quote "where's the rush", "if you're in that much of a hurry you've got the wrong hobby", "it's not a race track" etc, etc, ad nauseam, can I ask if your rate of progress is of such little import, why do you come out of tickover when you've passed the moored boat?

I usually come out of tickover because I am on a river and it is apropriate to do so.

Im still struggling to see how the wake of one narrowboat passing another narrowboat can cause such severe rocking of the moored boat so as to launch the kettle from the hob.

It seems highly unlikely to me given the movement we have witnessed on our much smaller and lighter boat from passing boats. We dont have fiddled tables or gimbles on the hob yet have somehow managed in quite choppy conditions to keep all kettles, pans, plates and mugs either on the hob or in the cupboard.

I suppose the next question of course would be why was your son so close to a lit hob and a kettle of boiling water. But that is another topic in itself.

Watching your son nearly covered in boiling hot water tends to stick in your mind. But hey, carry on calling me a liar and/or blaming me for it if that floats your boat.

Of course, it's all the bloody hirer's fault again! :P

There are plently of hire bases on the Thames.

And the Thames is really wide and really deep, too. Completely different. Plenty of boaters tank it on the Thames but you don't really notice the wash.

The overall average distance between locks throughout the network is roughly 1 mile,therefore, and if busy with boats on the move, as is normal during the summer.The dfference in distance travelled in a day between the tortoise and the Hare is very similar,the differance being The Hare,many weed box visits and burn't a third more fuel.The Tortoise,wallet fuller,and nicer hands. bizzard B)

Watching your son nearly covered in boiling hot water tends to stick in your mind. But hey, carry on calling me a liar and/or blaming me for it if that floats your boat.

Water is what floats my boat and I have learnt that water moves, it is not a static body. Placing an item in this non static environment will also result in the item moving. If you dont like that movement remove your item from a fluid environment and put it in a static environment, end of problem.

The overall average distance between locks throughout the network is roughly 1 mile,therefore, and if busy with boats on the move, as is normal during the summer.The dfference in distance travelled in a day between the tortoise and the Hare is very similar,the differance being The Hare,many weed box visits and burn't a third more fuel.The Tortoise,wallet fuller,and nicer hands. bizzard B)

You really are a very strange individual :wacko:

You've never boated on the Oxford canal or similar - it's about as deep as a muddy puddle and really narrow. You really do have to boat with extra care. If you breathe funny when you pass a moored boat on there, you might be able to coax their crockery onto their cabin floor.

And yes we know how to use springs etc.

Because there's a massive breaking wash and stuff flies of my cooker?

Your photo shows a fairly normal narrowboat, so what I cannot understand is how you seemingly regularly get stuff flying off your cooker. It might be worth while looking at what you can do to your own craft to avoid that - as others have said, this is so unusual as to be almost non-existant for most of us. Perhaps your boat is top heavy and rolls badly, or it is tied in some manner that causes this - a line from the top rail down to a spike or bollard perhaps. Maybe it is worth fitting fiddle rails on whatever cooker or shelves etc suffer from this. I really cannot accept that it is all down to passing (hire) boats, nor that shouting at them will stop it happening again.

No one is calling you a liar. They are just saying that your experience seems to differ from theirs. Nothing like that has happened to us ever.

Water is what floats my boat and I have learnt that water moves, it is not a static body. Placing an item in this non static environment will also result in the item moving. If you dont like that movement remove your item from a fluid environment and put it in a static environment, end of problem.

Yes phylis, it's completely my fault for not mounting my cooker on a gyroscope stabilised platform. Well done, you got me.

Your photo shows a fairly normal narrowboat, so what I cannot understand is how you seemingly regularly get stuff flying off your cooker. It might be worth while looking at what you can do to your own craft to avoid that - as others have said, this is so unusual as to be almost non-existant for most of us. Perhaps your boat is top heavy and rolls badly, or it is tied in some manner that causes this - a line from the top rail down to a spike or bollard perhaps. Maybe it is worth fitting fiddle rails on whatever cooker or shelves etc suffer from this. I really cannot accept that it is all down to passing (hire) boats, nor that shouting at them will stop it happening again.

Where did I say regularly?

Have you read lady mucks posts? I'm on the K&A btw, an under-dredged ditch.

Yes phylis, it's completely my fault for not mounting my cooker on a gyroscope stabilised platform. Well done, you got me.

Where did I say regularly?

Have you read lady mucks posts? I'm on the K&A btw, an under-dredged ditch.

Your experience is so blindingly different to everyone elses that you really should look closer to home rather than blame speeding passing boats for all of your problems.

Your experience is so blindingly different to everyone elses that you really should look closer to home rather than blame speeding passing boats for all of your problems.

By everyone, you mean 'one or two other people including yourself'.

HTH

You've never boated on the Oxford canal or similar - it's about as deep as a muddy puddle and really narrow. You really do have to boat with extra care. If you breathe funny when you pass a moored boat on there, you might be able to coax their crockery onto their cabin floor.

The Oxford is no more shallow or narrow than the Macc and I repeat - nothing like that has ever happened to us. Never had a pin pulled out. Never had anything fall off the shelves/cooker etc. So my experience is different to yours and Deleted Accounts. Should I boat with regard to your experience or mine?

Im going to do a little experiment this weeekend. Im going to put a kettle on the hob and voilently rock the boat. I will film the experiment and show you just how much movement it really takes to send a kettle flying from the hob. I doubt you can replicate such movement by passing a moored narrowboat in another narrowboat. And lets not forget that narrowboats are a lot heavier than our boat and also have a lot more hull in the water.