BW's 600 millions

fender

Featured Posts

Today read VS's column in NBW.

He asserts BW has claimed a total of 600 million visitors visit the canals each year.

I cant find a source for this claim.

Anyone know?

I don't expect he can either!

He asserts BW has claimed a total of 600 million visitors visit the canals each year.

Anyone know?

Easy!

Population of Gt Britain =60m

Every one of us (including neonates and the dying)) has visited the cut 10 x per year.

Yes it is a source for the 13 million comment but no where does it mention 600 million which is what I would like to see the source for

Same for me, that is what I would like to know!

The figure of 13 million is easy to find. But 600 million?? Its just an utterly impossible figure. If BW has actually claimed such a figure and stated in some document, then the very credibility - or even the sanity - of that organisation must be questioned.

However, if its something cooked up by 'VS,' then its a clear and deliberate attempt to distort facts and therefore the credibility of that very canal news media must be brought into question for cooking up ridiculous 'facts' that many of us would not even dream of concocting.

Anyone know?

Did you know that Desperate Dan is a made up figure in a comic too?

desperate-dan.jpg

Richard

Same for me, that is what I would like to know!

The figure of 13 million is easy to find. But 600 million?? Its just an utterly impossible figure. .

Or is it? There are people counters installed on the towpath near me. I only have to walk past it four times a day (which is easy to do if you walk the dog down the towpath twice) and that's four visits.

I wonder how many 'visits' the people counters in Camden (if they have them) are clocking per day.

Or is it? There are people counters installed on the towpath near me. I only have to walk past it four times a day (which is easy to do if you walk the dog down the towpath twice) and that's four visits.

I wonder how many 'visits' the people counters in Camden (if they have them) are clocking per day.

It is the claim of 600 million that does not account to any sort of reality.

Despite the jokes and muck-rakings that have been coming my way, I have found a document that confirms some of the stuff VS says, though not all of it:

https://www.britishwaterways.candidata.co.uk/

Another BW document says 15 million visit the Forth and Clyde/Union Canals alone!

Thats much much more than the claim they make of 13 million in total visiting our waterways....

Looking through some of their documents it seems they are making utterly mad claims on visitor counts.

The British Museum can only manage 5.57 million visitors a year.

Edited by fender

I make it 821,920 per day for 365 days in a year!

I was thinking in days of 52, but of course it is 365. Silly me.

It doesnt explain the disrepancies in BW's figures though, especially as the generally accepted figure is 13 million pa (or 35616 per day)

Edited by fender

In 2004 BW claimed that 450 million visits were made to our canals.

http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/newsroom/all-press-releases/display/id/1466

"More than 13 million people make some 300 million visits a year to the 2,200 miles of canals and rivers currently cared for by British Waterways."

http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/newsroom/all-press-releases/display/id/1466

It is clear that million visits is different from million visitors. There cannot be 300 million visitors as BW claims. BW should be more clear on what it is implying in its figures.

In 2004 BW claimed that 450 million visits were made to our canals.

http://www.britishwa...display/id/1466

"More than 13 million people make some 300 million visits a year to the 2,200 miles of canals and rivers currently cared for by British Waterways."

http://www.britishwa...display/id/1466

It is clear that million visits is different from million visitors. There cannot be 300 million visitors as BW claims. BW should be more clear on what it is implying in its figures.

If there were 300 million visits made by 13 million visitors then on average each visitor made 300/13 = 23 visits in the year. That is, surely, a perfectly reasonable figure. It would not be impossible for people to visit the canals on average rather less than once a fortnight.

Nick

As Laurence Hogg has reported today, BW stats actually reveal that only 3.8million visitors were procured. Its actually been losing visitors, the last proper figure was just 6.9 million, and BW has lost half that amount.

BW procreate ridiculous stats as its claims of visitor counts show. Not 600 million, not 300 million, not 13 million, but a paltry 3.8 million!

This organisation proffers falsity in its attempts to inflate the amount of grant and subsidy it hopes to get.

Surely many of the grants awarded to BW should be clawed back?

As Laurence Hogg has reported today, BW stats actually reveal that only 3.8million visitors were procured. Its actually been losing visitors, the last proper figure was just 6.9 million, and BW has lost half that amount.

BW procreate ridiculous stats as its claims of visitor counts show. Not 600 million, not 300 million, not 13 million, but a paltry 3.8 million!

So, on one side BW make up stats, whilst on the other side the BW-knockers willfully compare apples with oranges, and expect to be seen as somehow "better" than BW.

Comparing the figure for unique visitors to the figure for distinct visits is mischievious.

In the unique visitor count, I count as 1 Unique visitor.

In the total visits count;

I visit the boat every weekend = 50

Sometimes I come home part way through the weekend, whilst moored away from our home mooring, then return to the boat = 10

I visit a mate on his boat every 2-3 weeks = 20

I make sundry other visits = 10

So, in my case, 1 visitor = 90 visits.

Consider the person who cycles to work along the towpath. 2 Visits each working day;

1 visitor = 400 visits

Or the dog walker, who walks the dogs along the towpath twice each day.

1 visitor = 730 visits

The vast majority of visitors are of the latter type, and it is very easy to see where the numbers come from.

Its all woffle and figures, thats all they do in Watford, they need C U L T U R E C H A N G E and NOW!

Yes, and typing in forums in capital letters with double spacing is the way to go?

So far, the sum total of your case for change appears to be;

1) They've cooked the books

2) DOWN WITH BW

Well, in response;

1) There is no evidence that they have, but there is ample evidence that you are misusing the stats to say they are

2) WHY?

Actually, your posts appear to amount to nothing more than "I don't like Robin Evans"