TO DRIFT OR NOT ADRIFT

bizzard

Featured Posts

If your worried that your mooring pins may be pulled out,or ropes undone whilst your boat is unattended.A good wheeze is;.

Why not tie an anchor or mud weight to your centre cleat and drop it over on the offside of the boat.

So if the pins pull out or a prankster tries to cast the boat adrift,it'll remain more or less where it was.

I doubt whether a prankster would see it,and not brave enough to clamber on the roof even if they did.

The children did this to a boat in. Arthur Ransomes. ''The Big Six'' to prevent it happening.

bizzard.

We very rarely feel the need to drop our anchor when moored up. When moored on the bigger rivers we use all four ropes and tie them all back off on the boat preferably using rings if not ladders or any other suitable item will do. Your average lout wont bother clambering over the boat to unrope you and usually wont be tooled up enough to cut ropes or to cut mooring rings etc.

We very rarely feel the need to drop our anchor when moored up. When moored on the bigger rivers we use all four ropes and tie them all back off on the boat preferably using rings if not ladders or any other suitable item will do. Your average lout wont bother clambering over the boat to unrope you and usually wont be tooled up enough to cut ropes or to cut mooring rings etc.

I don't think you've quite grasped what i meant,Phylis.

Arthur Ransome's book is worth reading.

Regards bizzard.

If your worried that your mooring pins may be pulled out,or ropes undone whilst your boat is unattended.A good wheeze is;.

Why not tie an anchor or mud weight to your centre cleat and drop it over on the offside of the boat.

So if the pins pull out or a prankster tries to cast the boat adrift,it'll remain more or less where it was.

I doubt whether a prankster would see it,and not brave enough to clamber on the roof even if they did.

The children did this to a boat in. Arthur Ransomes. ''The Big Six'' to prevent it happening.

bizzard.

I don't think you're supposed to anchor on canals - only on rivers, but mud weights are fine. I've done this a few times around London when there are no rings to lock the boat to - just don't forget to bring the weights up before you set off!

If you want to chain your boat up in a place where there are no mooring rings, another trick is to knock in two mooring stakes (ones with loops or rings at the top end) across each other at different angles and then padlock the loops or rings together at ground level. Neither stake can be taken out because they have been hammered into the ground at opposing angles.

I know some people will say that these are the actions of the paranoid, but it's not very nice being set adfrift in the middle of the night - especially on rivers where there may be a strong current and weirs downstream.

Edited by blackrose

I don't think you're supposed to anchor on canals - only on rivers, but mud weights are fine. I've done this a few times around London when there are no rings to lock the boat to - just don't forget to bring the weights up before you set off!

If you want to chain your boat up in a place where there are no mooring rings, another trick is to knock in two mooring stakes (ones with loops or rings at the top end) across each other at different angles and then padlock the loops or rings together at ground level. Neither stake can be taken out because they have been hammered into the ground at opposing angles.

I know some people will say that these are the actions of the paranoid, but it's not very nice being set adfrift in the middle of the night - especially on rivers where there may be a strong current and weirs downstream.

Good idea's, but i don't think you've quite grasped my meaning either.

I'll try again. the method is to be entirely independant of the bank,in the event of,pins pulling out or ropes cut.

A mud weight if you like is attached to your centre rope and lowered over on the none bank side of the boat.this will hold the boat in position,even if the aforsaid has happened.If a prankster had pulled the pins or cut your ropes probably would not notice a rope from the centre cleat lowered down on the other side,and if they did,probably not brave enough to clamber on the roof to release it,in case there's someone inside, Therefore will not complete the scullduggery. boat won't move much

even if shoved and so hopefully clear off. How's that. bizzard

Good idea's, but i don't think you've quite grasped my meaning either.

I'll try again. the method is to be entirely independant of the bank,in the event of,pins pulling out or ropes cut.

A mud weight if you like is attached to your centre rope and lowered over on the none bank side of the boat.this will hold the boat in position,even if the aforsaid has happened.If a prankster had pulled the pins or cut your ropes probably would not notice a rope from the centre cleat lowered down on the other side,and if they did,probably not brave enough to clamber on the roof to release it,in case there's someone inside, Therefore will not complete the scullduggery. boat won't move much

even if shoved and so hopefully clear off. How's that. bizzard

I had grasped your meaning perfectly well - as I said, I drop mudweights myself sometimes. No need to explain it twice.

I was also just offering another suggestion for anyone who wants to chain their boat to the bank in a place where there are no mooring rings.

Edited by blackrose

I had grasped your meaning perfectly well - as I said, I drop mudweights myself sometimes. No need to explain it twice.

I was also just offering another suggestion for anyone who wants to chain their boat to the bank in a place where there are no mooring rings.

OK,Sorry your reply seemed a little vague as if not fully understood.

Also the Norfolk broads Rond anchors are very good, L shaped with a ring at one end and fluke at the other.Ideal for soft banks and knocked right in cannot be tripped over.I'm surprised not to see more on the rest of the system bizzard

OK,Sorry your reply seemed a little vague as if not fully understood.

Also the Norfolk broads Rond anchors are very good, L shaped with a ring at one end and fluke at the other.Ideal for soft banks and knocked right in cannot be tripped over.I'm surprised not to see more on the rest of the system bizzard

No problemo, perhaps I hadn't explained myself as clearly as I could.

Yes,quite,lots of folk already do all that.but not for the same purpose as mine,which i don't think is commonly known. I explained it again more simply because others may not have properly understood.As i did't think Phylis had.

bizzard

Yes,quite,lots of folk already do all that.but not for the same purpose as mine,which i don't think is commonly known. I explained it again more simply because others may not have properly understood.As i did't think Phylis had.

bizzard

It is fairly well known and has been suggested here several times before

Richard

It is fairly well known and has been suggested here several times before

Richard

Thank's Richard,only their are folk around here, who've been set adrift,and were glad to hear of the method.

saved me, from a tedious exchange. bizzard

& any mention of the Swallows & Amazons can only be good. Proper adventures with imagination.

(I am having Missie Lee read to me at bedtime at the moment, and it makes you wonder why there aren't more latin-lesson-giving pirates in this world.)

& any mention of the Swallows & Amazons can only be good. Proper adventures with imagination.

(I am having Missie Lee read to me at bedtime at the moment, and it makes you wonder why there aren't more latin-lesson-giving pirates in this world.)

I wondered who would be the first to mention S&A - if you dont mind reading through 150 pages of what the children cooked, eventually something does happen - I found it tedious in the extreme. I quote" "John picked up the rope and two of the bottles, Titty picked up the other two bottles, Susan did not carry any bottles." All they did was buy some rope and four bottles of ginger beer, why do we need to know EXACTLY by what mean EACH bottle AND the rope left the shop! and another thing...who the hell calls their daughter Titty !! :smiley_offtopic: Sorry maybe going on a bit, just a fed up Open University Literature student <_<

Kiki was a parrot in Enid Blytons Adventure series. Bizzard.

Blyton managed to completely pass me by, apart from the excellent film adaptation of "Five go mad on Mescalin" so Kiki will always be Hector's froggy neighbour, to me.

An odd,quirky one that from Arthur Ransome, but good though. bizzard

I wondered who would be the first to mention S&A - if you dont mind reading through 150 pages of what the children cooked, eventually something does happen - I found it tedious in the extreme. I quote" "John picked up the rope and two of the bottles, Titty picked up the other two bottles, Susan did not carry any bottles." All they did was buy some rope and four bottles of ginger beer, why do we need to know EXACTLY by what mean EACH bottle AND the rope left the shop! and another thing...who the hell calls their daughter Titty !! :smiley_offtopic: Sorry maybe going on a bit, just a fed up Open University Literature student <_<

Best children's stories ever,although dated now. They must all have got severely egg-bound too.

I have all the books still apart from two. Great Northern and Coot club.

Racundra's first cruise,Arthur Ransomes own adventures,sailing around the Baltic,a good read too.

No not tedious, just the full description to to keep the young minds of the time stimulated. A time when reading was the major pastime. bizzard

I read and re-read the entire Arthur Ransome series as a child and it gave me a life long interest in boats and boating that led to me buying my own boat. I've tried to get my own children interested in them but they'd rather play video games. :(

Best children's stories ever,although dated now. They must all have got severely egg-bound too.

I have all the books still apart from two. Great Northern and Coot club.

Racundra's first cruise,Arthur Ransomes own adventures,sailing around the Baltic,a good read too.

No not tedious, just the full description to to keep the young minds of the time stimulated. A time when reading was the major pastime. bizzard

Sorry he is competing with Blyton there in that ilk, never mind Phillip Pullman, Phillipa Pearce etc......These books are all new to me, as I grew up in Africa where books like this were not available to us, except Enid Blyton. However why I am called after a Frog I am confused ....... :rolleyes:

I think Titty is short for Letitia, which is less...anatomical.

But more Great-Aunt-ish these days, to keep the S&A theme.

I find the whole exact details is part of what makes them good - how things work & how they live & so on, and then the imagination coming in over the top. Having only come to them as an adult, they are much much better than Blyton & I wish Id had them as a child. There were rumours somewhere about a new BBC-type (not sure if it was them or another tv thingy) series base on them.