Is it a butty?

Theo

Featured Posts

I have the impression that a horse boat and a butty are the smae thig except that the butty is towed by a monkey boat and the horse boat by a horse.

Am I right?

Nick

No (in my opinion) a butty is always paired with a motor (buttying up).

I would assume that horseboats that ended up buttying to a motor would then be called a butty.

Happy to be contradicted, btw (and expect to be).

I have the impression that a horse boat and a butty are the smae thig except that the butty is towed by a monkey boat and the horse boat by a horse.

Am I right?

Nick

It has always been my understanding that the term butty derives from an old Northern mining expression meaning friend or workmate, hence it's associaon with partnering a motor boat. Therefore, a single boat, whether bow hauled or towed by a horse cannot be a Butty.

It has always been my understanding that the term butty derives from an old Northern mining expression meaning friend or workmate, hence it's associaon with partnering a motor boat. Therefore, a single boat, whether bow hauled or towed by a horse cannot be a Butty.

My mate's dad always says 'alright chip butty!?' to me when he says hello. Never understood it, but when I found out that Butty possibly meant 'mate' it sort of figured. Maybe 'Buddy' is from the same word.

It's not just northern England, in south Wales a butty is a mate "Chw Mae me butt" isn't an invitation for a bite of me arse but a greeting to a friend. Wye Valley Brewery honour this tradition with a beer named "Butty Bach" or little mate

On one level Theo they are more or less the same vessel with different terminology, although I suspect tht if you started designing from first principles there would be detail differences: a butty is pulled by the boat in front, sometimes on cross straps, a horse drawn boat from the bank, always on a long line

So how about Iona , the horsedrawn trip boat on the River Wey ? She's the GU small woolwich 'Bellerophon' , built and worked as a butty . Now working with one horsepower .

Butty or horseboat ?

Once a butty, now a horseboat.

So how about Iona , the horsedrawn trip boat on the River Wey ? She's the GU small woolwich 'Bellerophon' , built and worked as a butty . Now working with one horsepower .

Butty or horseboat ?

Butty being used as a horseboat.

Butty or horseboat ?

Boat originally built as a Butty, but now used as a Horse boat.

On one level Theo they are more or less the same vessel with different terminology, although I suspect tht if you started designing from first principles there would be detail differences: a butty is pulled by the boat in front, sometimes on cross straps, a horse drawn boat from the bank, always on a long line

A horse boat wouldn't have the tunnel hooks on the rear for breasting up....

I've never quite worked out why motor boats had the mast and luby though, lest it was that early diesels were unreliable.

What's an unpowered boat called when it's being bowhauled.... :unsure:

A horse boat wouldn't have the tunnel hooks on the rear for breasting up....

Why are they called tunnel hooks, then?

Originally fitted when horse boats were towed through tunnels in trains, AIUI.

Ok early horse boats would not have had them ;)

Broken down.

Tim

Am I right?

Nick

Monkey boat?

A heavy, difficult to control, bastard.

As the use of a Tunnel hook would prevent the line to the boat behind from fouling the Ram's Head, which would have been the case if towing from the 'T' stud forward of the pintle, why would early horse boats NOT have had Tunnel hooks?

Or did certain builders leave the hook off as they were not thought to have worked tunnels? That doesn't sound likely to me. Does the practice of horse boats built without tunnel hooks reach back to the 'Legging' years, before tugs took over?

Monkey boat?

Think we've been here before:

Cabins designed by a chap called Monk.

First Motor built by a Mr. Monk.

Lots of kids popping out of cabins like Monkeys.

Bolinder engines making boats jump up and down like the Monkey on an Organ grinders instrument (careful now . . .)

And others.

Umm - how does a boat with no engine break down?

By decomposition whilst sat on the bottom, difficult to move. ;)

As the use of a Tunnel hook would prevent the line to the boat behind from fouling the Ram's Head, which would have been the case if towing from the 'T' stud forward of the pintle, why would early horse boats NOT have had Tunnel hooks?

Or did certain builders leave the hook off as they were not thought to have worked tunnels? That doesn't sound likely to me. Does the practice of horse boats built without tunnel hooks reach back to the 'Legging' years, before tugs took over?

Exactly, no tugs means no need for tunnel hooks.

Tim

It's not just northern England, in south Wales a butty is a mate "Chw Mae me butt" isn't an invitation for a bite of me arse but a greeting to a friend. Wye Valley Brewery honour this tradition with a beer named "Butty Bach" or little mate

Butty is a very old English word for Friend or Companion. The Americans corrupted it into Buddy.

A boatman had his horse and the towed Butty boat A motor and butty worked as a pair.