ROYAL WEDDING

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

this country still knows how to put on a spectacular event

ps it was at this point in the proceedings during that wedding in 1981, that the national grid nearly went down due to the amount of kettles that were put on.....

.....bet you didn't know that :P

Edited by dizzyknits

Whilst the wives watch at home in peace :-)

Sue

This comment was brought to you via time capsule from 1972.

Apparently not. The Coventry/ Birmingham & Fazely canal was eerily quiet this morning. Between 9.30 and 11.30, I met 5 moving boats, 4 of which appeared to be crewed by singlehanded males like myself. Passing a group of three moored boats, all the men were out fishing while their womenfolk watched telly inside. There were 20-odd towpath cyclists and walkers, of whom two were women, and I'm still not sure about one of those. :)

Mac

I hate going to weddings, and only ever go to immediate families, or friends (edited to ad..grudgingly), so I cannot raise one iota of interest over a pair of complete strangers getting hitched.

This has nothing to do with my republican views, I must add, though if them getting divorced and creating a constitutional disaster that marks the end of the monarchy, I look forward to that day and will be getting the buntings out.

Edited by carlt

I hate going to weddings, and only ever go to immediate families, or friends (edited to ad..grudgingly), so I cannot raise one iota of interest over a pair of complete strangers getting hitched.

This has nothing to do with my republican views, I must add, though if them getting divorced and creating a constitutional disaster that marks the end of the monarchy, I look forward to that day and will be getting the buntings out.

I was just thinking, will we get a public holiday for the divorce?

Monarchy is here to stay I'm afraid; the Bilderbergers will see to that.

Yes just can't wait to have president Blair in charge, God help us..

Yes just can't wait to have president Blair in charge, God help us..

And yet, as this is the first thing that royalists threaten us with, I somehow doubt he would ever be elected.

However, if she was democratically elected, by the citizens of the country, rather than got there by an accident of inbreeding, I would accept Liz Saxe-Coburg-Gothe as head of state.

Nobody does it better.

The French always put on a good show and their royal palaces create significantly more income than ours, despite their occupants losing their heads, some time ago.

In common with Carlt I also hate weddings (including family ones) I cannot with all conscience attend ANY church ceremony. I feel such a hypocrite mouthing (or listening to) the hyperbole and ridiculous claptrap that officers of such organisations spout on such occasions.

Having no particularly strong Royalist views, I do think that the existance of the Royal Family and it's history brings some stability (and tourist dollars) to our society. I think the Queen has done a very good job on the whole*, I fear that Charles will let her down however. The prospect of Camilla potentially becoming queen in the future will advance the republican cause no end in the future. The man and his brother(s) have brought more than enough disrepute on the Royal Family in recent years by their behaviour. I hope that William and Catherine can redress the balance in the years to come. Whatever happens I wish the young couple well in the future.

*She badly misread the public sentiment on the death of Diana.

The future of the monarchy lies in the hands of the British people as it always has done but if we get rid of it I doubt we will be able to ask them back like we did last time, I just hope we don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. You can't just set up a monarchy, it takes a long long time to get where we are now so we need to think long and hard what the consequences might be before we chuck them out.

The future of the monarchy lies in the hands of the British people as it always has done but if we get rid of it I doubt we will be able to ask them back like we did last time, I just hope we don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. You can't just set up a monarchy, it takes a long long time to get where we are now so we need to think long and hard what the consequences might be before we chuck them out.

I wouldn't want to ask them back.

I'm not sure what the "baby" is but, if it is hereditary peers, the majority ruled by the elite, inbred minority and the richest 10% being 100 times better off than the poorest 10% then "Bye bye baby!"

The system, as it stands, is rubbish. I can't see a democratic republic system being anything other than better.

Edited by carlt

I wouldn't want to ask them back. I'm not sure what the "baby" is but, if it is hereditary peers, the majority ruled by the elite, inbred minority and the richest 10% being 100 times better off than the poorest 10% then "Bye bye baby!"

The system, as it stands, is rubbish. I can't see a democratic republic system being anything other than better.

If anyone is in any doubt about the ruling elite, have a look at the guest list and ask yourself who all those nonentities are, what they are for, and who pays for them.

And why was it protocol to invite deposed monarchs and kings of non-existent countries long since republicated?

A lot of people must have very odd TV sets that they dont know how to turn off or change channel. I was at a lovely wedding yesterday, and I think its very sad that people would want to spoil someones wedding day or wish people ill. But then some people are just miserable and joyless.

• Greenie 1

Am I allowed to say actually I quite enjoyed it??

Best bit for me was the way the met marshalled the crowd up the mall - very well done.

Oh and the dress.....

A lot of people must have very odd TV sets that they dont know how to turn off or change channel. I was at a lovely wedding yesterday, and I think its very sad that people would want to spoil someones wedding day or wish people ill. But then some people are just miserable and joyless.

Who has mentioned spoiling their day?

I have no interest whatsoever in "their day". It is irrelevant to me.

Just because someone is anti-monarchy does not make them joyless, btw.

I've had a great day, filled with joy and devoid of misery, spent with people I love, not people I'm told I should love.

• Greenie 3

But then some people are just miserable and joyless.

Yep --- that sounds like me :D

I didn't watch it --- sorry, no interest --- but I've nothing against them, even if they are pampered sods.

I would go with keeping the Monarchy --- better the devil you know --- but scaling it right back.

Another of the Queens grandchildren will be getting married soon --- Zara Phillips --- but we will be spared this performance, just because she's a bit further from the throne.

Best bit for me was the way the met marshalled the crowd up the mall - very well done.

Oh and the dress.....

I agree Martin

And I have to say that Pippa, the Maid of Honour, looked absolutely stunning in her simple elegant dress

Edited by Bazza2

Have I just seen Prince William driving away from the Palace in a car with an illegal modification to the number plate? I wonder if he will get pulled up

Is not one privilege of being the monarch or an heir to the throne you don't have to display a valid reg. ???

Who has mentioned spoiling their day?

I have no interest whatsoever in "their day". It is irrelevant to me.

Just because someone is anti-monarchy does not make them joyless, btw.

I've had a great day, filled with joy and devoid of misery, spent with people I love, not people I'm told I should love.

Shouldn't we all love everyone else? Best description of love I heard was 'the concern for others spiritual welfare' So that means extending that concern beyond our immediate circle of friends and family.

Oh and the dress.....

The missus and I thought it was all great stuff. None of the precise and exact stuff that the Chinese and Koreans and the like can put on, very impressive but give me the relaxed and slightly flawed shows we have.

Have I just seen Prince William driving away from the Palace in a car with an illegal modification to the number plate? I wonder if he will get pulled up

I think that will be part of the People's Royal Consummation, due to take place shortly after midnight tonight.

Shouldn't we all love everyone else? Best description of love I heard was 'the concern for others spiritual welfare' So that means extending that concern beyond our immediate circle of friends and family.

No, sorry, I don't subscribe to anyone telling me what I "should" do and I certainly don't love those who would attempt to impose such emotions.

I have no concern for anyone's "spiritual welfare", whatever that means and, whilst I wouldn't wish unhappiness on anyone, I don't feel any responsibility for a stranger's happiness.

I will happily give a stranger the price of a meal/pack of fags/beer/bag but I won't suffer a bleeding heart, once they are out of sight.

No, sorry, I don't subscribe to anyone telling me what I "should" do and I certainly don't love those who would attempt to impose such emotions.

I have no concern for anyone's "spiritual welfare", whatever that means and, whilst I wouldn't wish unhappiness on anyone, I don't feel any responsibility for a stranger's happiness.

I will happily give a stranger the price of a meal/pack of fags/beer/bag but I won't suffer a bleeding heart, once they are out of sight.

I'm not suggesting imposing anything on anybody, I think happiness is each individuals responsibility and bleeding hearts are a waste of energy and emotion. Concern for spiritual welfare is wanting everyone in the world to find a constructive and fulfilling life, a bit of a pipe dream but I believe that is the true definition of love. Giving someone the price of a beer or pack of fags is ok but if you care for that persons welfare and they are alcoholic or in poor health perhaps love means not giving it to them, tough love is still love.

Sermon over.