ROYAL WEDDING

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

I was in France when the wedding took place. I bet my partner, Helen, that it would occupy no more then 5 minutes of their news. I lost: it was on all day, in French. Who could deny the spectacle? It was presented and executed brilliantly. The French broadcast drooled over the occasion coupled with a wonderment as to why in the 21st century a nation could bs so enamoured of an ancient outmoded institution like a monarchy. We were asked the next day if we were English, and then congratulated for such a fantastic occasion!

I'm not a strong Royalist, but it would take some pretty miserable person to deny the nation the enjoyment of an amazing spectacle, a holiday and a party with their neighbours.

A bit rich considering they lopped the heads off theirs...

But yes I agree...

A bit rich considering they lopped the heads off theirs...

But an excellent example of a nation providing spectacle and splendour, without the involvement of a monarchy.

'La Grande Moisson' was, without doubt, the most spectacular event I have ever attended and last year's 'Nature Capital' was supposed to have topped that (sadly I couldn't attend).

The assertion that a royal family is necessary, to provide pomp and spectacle, and is an essential prop, for our tourism industry, limits our imagination and reduces them to no more than the equivalent of a Merlin Entertainments gig.

There is no reason for such an entertainment show, however impressive, to occupy the role of head of state.

• Greenie 1

But an excellent example of a nation providing spectacle and splendour, without the involvement of a monarchy.

'La Grande Moisson' was, without doubt, the most spectacular event I have ever attended and last year's 'Nature Capital' was supposed to have topped that (sadly I couldn't attend).

The assertion that a royal family is necessary, to provide pomp and spectacle, and is an essential prop, for our tourism industry, limits our imagination and reduces them to no more than the equivalent of a Merlin Entertainments gig.

There is no reason for such an entertainment show, however impressive, to occupy the role of head of state.

Don't get me wrong I'm a fully fledged Francophile....(I omitted the appropriate smiley)

For anybody on here who did go to the event you might want to see if you can spot yourself on here - impressive picture.

eta - I suspect NOT one for those on dongles or with slow connections.

Edited by MJG

For anybody on here who did go to the event you might want to see if you can spot yourself on here - impressive picture.

It looks scarily like everybody is giving them the nazi salute, until you zoom in and see just how ubiquitous the camera phone has become.

Having caught my first glimpse of the wedding snaps I may have to rethink my attitude to the Royals.

I had no idea that some members had been touched by His noodly appendage...

article-1382791-0BDF88D900000578-425_306x423.jpg

Beatrice, the first royal Pastafarian?

But I can assure you, because I was there, that many of the French are fascinated by it. It wouldn't be on le telly for the whole day and evening otherwise. I agree that we don't NEED a monarchy to create a spectacular event, after all we already have Ken Dodd, Hartlepool FC and Nick Clegg, but it was hard not to be impressed by the occasion and it will surely contribute to the numbers choosing to visit Britain in the near future.

@MJG: chopping off the monarch's head was another British first, 140 years before the French got round to it.

Edited by Dominic M

But I can assure you, because I was there, that many of the French are fascinated by it.

I have nothing against the spectacle and it should be retained, as part of our heritage.

It has no place at the head of a country's modern government, though.

By all means give them work, in the entertainment industry. They seem quite good at that sort of stuff.

I have nothing against the spectacle and it should be retained, as part of our heritage.

By all means give them work, in the entertainment industry. They seem quite good at that sort of stuff.

Its a knockout :lol::lol:

Carl, you are incorrigible! Our views on this will always differ because I would rather have our benevolent system (warts and all) than the style of authoritarian republic so often found elsewhere in the world.

I bet the average citizen of Libya would prefer to have our style of government in preference to Gaddafi's authoritarian regime . . .

Carl, you are incorrigible! Our views on this will always differ because I would rather have our benevolent system (warts and all) than the style of authoritarian republic so often found elsewhere in the world.

I bet the average citizen of Libya would prefer to have our style of government in preference to Gaddafi's authoritarian regime . . .

I would rather have a benevolent system based on a democratically elected head of state (and 2nd house).

Why does the alternative have to be the threat of dictatorship when that is the least likely scenario?

Having caught my first glimpse of the wedding snaps I may have to rethink my attitude to the Royals.

I had no idea that some members had been touched by His noodly appendage...

article-1382791-0BDF88D900000578-425_306x423.jpg

Beatrice, the first royal Pastafarian?

Carl - thats actually a bloody improvement :blink:

I would rather have a benevolent system based on a democratically elected head of state (and 2nd house).

Why does the alternative have to be the threat of dictatorship when that is the least likely scenario?

It doesn't have to be, it is simply that it often is.

A benevolent elected head of state is nice in theory, but like many nice theories, it often falls apart in practice. We have a system that is not so nice in theory, but in practice works rather well.

For so long as it works, then better not to break it.

• Greenie 1

It doesn't have to be, it is simply that it often is.

A benevolent elected head of state is nice in theory, but like many nice theories, it often falls apart in practice. We have a system that is not so nice in theory, but in practice works rather well.

For so long as it works, then better not to break it.

And so far it hasn't gone seriously wrong, been a few hiccups along the way but still functioning.

have spent the last week putting the finishing touches to my 1989 Ford Cargo tractor unit restoration. She's got a Cummins LTA-10 290 engine in her.

Ford Cargo?????

Gawd I must be old.

I can understand wanting to restore an old Scammel, Foden, Atkinson, Guy, Seddon or ERF, but a Ford?

Mind you the Ford D800/1000 series was a great break-through. Sincromesh box and a walk-through cab.

But a Cargo?????? Yuk!!!!

To get the thread back on boaty topic, here's one of my jobs back in the early 1970's:

IMG_0021.jpg

Tone

Edited by canaldrifter