Drinking water hose...

Featured Posts

There are three colours, light blue which I think MJG is referring to, sometimes sold as RV (recreational vehicle) hose, darker blue hose and red hose usually sold in caravan accessory shops and fitted to caravans and campervans. They all seem to have the same clear plastic lining which I thing is food grade.

Cheers BR - the main factor for me is that the 'blue' hose I have is just so damn difficult to handle, it's not the cost. As the weather is at the moment it's quite pliable and easier to handle (but still a bit of a chew).

In the winter it's nigh on impossible to unfurl neatly and quickly, it also takes up an unreasonable amount of space in the locker, I'll be glad to see the back of it TBH.

I have the flat blue stuff which is food grade and stores away neatly. The only thing is that it's quite soft and not very thick so you can't really use it for hosing down the boat, etc, or it will soon get punctured.

I have the flat blue stuff which is food grade and stores away neatly. The only thing is that it's quite soft and not very thick so you can't really use it for hosing down the boat, etc, or it will soon get punctured.

This does seem to be similar to the outer reinforced sheath on the caravan hose I mentioned in my last post, if so I have some doubt whether the flat type is in fact food grade despite it's claim?

I suspect that is the same as I saw in the chandery at sawley today. The one they had in was only 15 metres though - way too short for our needs. I suspect longer ones will be available or I could join two when required - then though cost would be an issue as it would work out as nearly twice the price as the one I've bought.

All in all I'm happy with the choice - if I peg it mind please note I don't like lillies - they stink.... ;-)

would they buy a bottle of water in a supermarket if the plastic bottle was marked "Packaged in non-food grade PET"?

No... cos I get water through a cheap gardening hose.

Not that I drink water unless it's in tea. Even then adding cooking whisky gives it flavour.

Tone

This does seem to be similar to the outer reinforced sheath on the caravan hose I mentioned in my last post, if so I have some doubt whether the flat type is in fact food grade despite it's claim?

I can distinguish some different polymers by looking at them, but not all. If you can really tell which types of plasticisers have been used just by looking at a plastic object I'm sure that certain polymer characterisation laboratories would like to meet you.

No... cos I get water through a cheap gardening hose.

Perhaps you missed my point. It was a hypothetical question.

Edited by blackrose

Perhaps you missed my point. If you were out somewhere and thirsty, and you wanted to buy a bottle of water, which would you choose - one packaged in food grade PET or non-food grade PET?

Perhaps you've missed my point.

I don't do water, except for washing in.

Tone

I can distinguish some different polymers by looking at them, but not all. If you can really tell which types of plasticisers have been used just by looking at a plastic object I'm sure that certain polymer characterisation laboratories would like to meet you.

No I can't really tell that's why it was a question and not a statement.

• 5 years later...

Interesting thread for us, as we're just amassing all the equipment we will need for Sunflower.

I'm interested in the question of hose length. At the moment, we're inclining towards a flat food grade hose on a reel, 15 metres, with a short stub extension for filling the tank, and another extension - or two if needed for connecting to the water point.

We've got a lot of years' experience on hire boats, and only found one water point where the hose wouldn't reach - an absurdly situated water point on the Avon, a mile or two upstream of Stratford. We had the standard garden hose on the hire boat - I'm guessing it was 20 metres - and it was some way short.

Some have mentioned 30 metre lengths. Have they proved to be sufficient? More then was needed?

Thanks.

Interesting thread for us, as we're just amassing all the equipment we will need for Sunflower.

I'm interested in the question of hose length. At the moment, we're inclining towards a flat food grade hose on a reel, 15 metres, with a short stub extension for filling the tank, and another extension - or two if needed for connecting to the water point.

We've got a lot of years' experience on hire boats, and only found one water point where the hose wouldn't reach - an absurdly situated water point on the Avon, a mile or two upstream of Stratford. We had the standard garden hose on the hire boat - I'm guessing it was 20 metres - and it was some way short.

Some have mentioned 30 metre lengths. Have they proved to be sufficient? More then was needed?

Thanks.

Hi Stripey, 30 metres is what I've always used and have never been stuck Oh and just a little thing, in future it might be better to start a new thread rather than resurrect a 5 year old one.

Phil ☺

Thin fold flat hoses tend to get popped if bikes run over them if laid across a towpath to the tap.

For laying a hose across a towpath I recommend a steel reinforced one that will cause bikes to crash and dismount the rider.

Edited by bizzard

We used a couple of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Greenkey-Triple-Core-Cassette-Hose/dp/B0055GJOSI(but we didn't pay that price!)

The advantage is that they don't need to be fully unwound to use. Just flush a bit of water through them each time to remove any remaining stale stuff.

Tony

We've got a flat hose on a reel, I think it is 20m. Yes one does have to unroll the whole length but this only takes moments, ditto to wind back up, so we don't find it an issue and it is far less bulky than ordinary garden hose. I put a fitting on the end to which is attached about 9" of copper pipe - just to weight the end down and stop it propelling itself out of the tank filler. I can't think of any occasion when it hasn't been long enough.

Oh and just a little thing, in future it might be better to start a new thread rather than resurrect a 5 year old one.

Phil ☺

Why is that? People do it all the time, and as long as the content is relevant to the thread title, there is no problem.

Thanks.

I used two there and this week on the River Lee some of the taps are lock side so you have to fill while in the lock. The wide beam behind me stopped below the lock and ran two hoses out to reach the tap crossing the foot bridge with one of them.

Thanks for the replies so far, everyone.

Phil, I'm puzzled as to why it's better to start a new thread on this. The info on this one still seems relevant, and it was the one that popped up when I did a search. When someone else in my position wants to find a discussion, I would have thought it would be best for it all to be in one place.smile.png

• Greenie 1

Phil, I'm puzzled as to why it's better to start a new thread on this. The info on this one still seems relevant, and it was the one that popped up when I did a search. When someone else in my position wants to find a discussion, I would have thought it would be best for it all to be in one place.smile.png

Yes, you're correct. Ignore Phil, he was feeling grumpy.

:)

Phil, I'm puzzled as to why it's better to start a new thread on this. The info on this one still seems relevant, and it was the one that popped up when I did a search. When someone else in my position wants to find a discussion, I would have thought it would be best for it all to be in one place.:)

As the original poster I'm glad you posted in here as it brought back some good memories of when we enjoyed being boat owners.

I think when I started the thread back then we were about to embark on our first trip on the River Trent, a trip we enjoyed very much.

We still have the ordinary garden hose we bought back then in 2011 except it now serves for watering the garden rather than filling the boat tank. I swapped it for a slightly shorter one when we sold the boat last year.

It served us well for the years we boated and not being of potable quality wasn't a problem at all.

Take note of the tip 'keeping up' gave us in the thread about reversing the connectors.

Looking back now I can't recall seeing anybody using 'blue' hose to fill their tank, they are definitely in the minority for sure.