The longest.......?

Featured Posts

Curiosity drives me to ask this question:

Does anyone know whats the longest section of the network where you can continuously go down hill (and obviously up) through locks?

So that would need to be excluding the 40 odd miles of the Lancaster (which I think is the longest section without locks?).

Also whats the highest part of the system and the lowest? I assume some parts are below sea level?

Edited by jim and pat dalton

The most locks you can do in one direction is from the River Severn between Gloucester and Upper Lode to Titford Pools via the River Avon and the Stratford Canal, 81 locks up (or down) without having to do a lock in the opposite direction.

If you enter the Aire and Calder at either Goole or Selby you can clime continuously to Marsden on the Huddersfield Canal for passage through Standedge tunnel, sea level to the highest level without ever going down, there are rather fewer locks though

I don't know about the highest, but you cannot get into Birmingham without going up (at least) twenty locks from any direction. I didn't realise until I got interested in canals that Brummagum was on a hill. But with WBA ground being the highest in the football league I suppose I should have had a clue. Possibly some of the L&L might be higher though.

The most locks you can do in one direction is from the River Severn between Gloucester and Upper Lode to Titford Pools via the River Avon and the Stratford Canal, 81 locks up (or down) without having to do a lock in the opposite direction.

What if you base it on mileage, rather than lock count ?

We seem to have been downhill a long way since we were in Lechlade - now East oh Kingston on Thames......

A table showing the highest canal summits (all those above 350 ft) can be found here:

http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/summits.htm

The highest being the Huddersfield Narrow at Standedge (645 ft) followed by the Rochdale Summit at 600 ft and the Upper Peak Forest/Macclesfield summit at 518 ft.

And how many locks to get from nearest sea level to Standedge?

I calculate (canalplan) just 74. (Tarlton to Standedge).

Tone

Tone

To go back to the OP, you have to do 2 locks down in that 74, so not a continuous climb. One feature is you can't always fall continuously from the high spots

Alan, I suspect the Thames may well win, or possible Claydon to Teddington, on distance, although Welford to Cromwell and Welford to Whittelsey may be in the running

edited to add, a few random plays with Canal Plan AC suggests St Johns Lock to Teddington Lock, at 136 miles, but I haven't tested every possibility

A table showing the highest canal summits (all those above 350 ft) can be found here:

http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/summits.htm

The highest being the Huddersfield Narrow at Standedge (645 ft) followed by the Rochdale Summit at 600 ft and the Upper Peak Forest/Macclesfield summit at 518 ft.

Those three are all absolute summits, some others on the list are not. For example, you can go up from the Braunston Summit to the Crick Summit, and you can go up from that to Welford...

I've tested my sanity several times with such deliberations

Edited by magpie patrick

Tone

Thats nothing! I make it 83 locks continuous downwards from the top of the Crow to below Upper Lode Lock, via the Stratford and the Avon.

(Its just a meagre 69 via the W & B!)

(The other estimate of 81 locks is wrong I think)

Edited by fender

Thats nothing! I make it 83 locks continuous downwards from the top of the Crow to below Upper Lode Lock, via the Stratford and the Avon.

(Its just a meagre 69 via the W & B!)

(The other estimate of 81 locks is wrong I think)

Ahem,

That's my estimate your critisising! ;)

6 at the crow, 3 at Smethwick (or Spon Lane, or Brades, or Tipton Factory)54 on the Stratford (confusingly numbered 2 to 56, no 1 is the open stop lock and 20 and 21 are parallel, you use one or the other, not both) 17 on the Avon and 1 at Upper Lode

6 plus 3 = 9 plus 54 = 63 plus 17 = 80 plus 1 = 81

Alan, I suspect the Thames may well win, or possible Claydon to Teddington, on distance, although Welford to Cromwell and Welford to Whittelsey may be in the running

edited to add, a few random plays with Canal Plan AC suggests St Johns Lock to Teddington Lock, at 136 miles, but I haven't tested every possibility

I reckon as a downhill run you can count Napton Top Lock to the Tidal Thames

CanalPlanAC makes Napton Top Lock to Limehouse 161 miles and 65 locks.

On the other hand Lechlade to Limehouse is close on that in miles (160), but certainly not in locks (46).

We are now at Teddington, having gone from Napton to Lechlade, and now back to here. It feels like a long way!

On the other hand Lechlade to Limehouse is close on that in miles (160), but certainly not in locks (46).

We are now at Teddington, having gone from Napton to Lechlade, and now back to here. It feels like a long way!

To be really picky the first locks towards the Thames from Napton top are uphill....

Napton Top is the one below the engine arm

I think you might mean from Marston Doles top lock!

Edited by idleness

Can't recall the name but the lock next to Bill Fen Marina on the Mddle Level is below sea level I think?

Yes, it's Lodes End Lock and apparently the land there at Holme Fen is the lowest point in the UK at 2.5 metres below sea level.

Titford Pools, via Tipton, and Perry Bar, to Hempholme lock on the Driffield Navigation:

199 miles, 4¾ flg and 75 locks

Or for more locks, via Farmers Bridge flight instead:

191 miles, 5½ flg and 78 locks

You could increase the distance by heading around the old line loops.

...and we have done the journey BTW also!!

Mike

Curiosity drives me to ask this question:

Does anyone know whats the longest section of the network where you can continuously go down hill (and obviously up) through locks?

Some time ago on another waterways forum I posed the question: What is the longest distance you can travel on UK non tidal waters travelling through locks only in an uphill direction, and not retracing your steps at any point of the journey.

My own researches led me to believe that the longest route was from Eastham Lock, via the MSC, Pomona Lock, Bridgewater Canal, T&M, Middlewich Branch, Shroppie Main Line, 'hampton 21, Wyrley and Essington and Daw End branch, terminating in the Hay Head Arm (Longwood Junction), a distance which CanalPlan gives as 150 miles 6.25 furlongs (excluding the Hay Head Arm).

But another contributor to the forum identified a longer route which involved starting off below sea level on the Middle Level and ending up at Foxton top.

Titford Pools, via Tipton, and Perry Bar, to Hempholme lock on the Driffield Navigation:

199 miles, 4¾ flg and 75 locks

Or for more locks, via Farmers Bridge flight instead:

191 miles, 5½ flg and 78 locks

You could increase the distance by heading around the old line loops.

...and we have done the journey BTW also!!

Mike

But that involves the sea. If you are going to allow that you might as well skip Hemholme and carry on down the Humber Estaury and then you can keep going for thousands of miles!

(and I bet you haven't done that in a narrowboat!)

David

Edited by David Mack

Some time ago on another waterways forum I posed the question: What is the longest distance you can travel on UK non tidal waters travelling through locks only in an uphill direction, and not retracing your steps at any point of the journey.

My own researches led me to believe that the longest route was from Eastham Lock, via the MSC, Pomona Lock, Bridgewater Canal, T&M, Middlewich Branch, Shroppie Main Line, 'hampton 21, Wyrley and Essington and Daw End branch, terminating in the Hay Head Arm (Longwood Junction), a distance which CanalPlan gives as 150 miles 6.25 furlongs (excluding the Hay Head Arm).

But another contributor to the forum identified a longer route which involved starting off below sea level on the Middle Level and ending up at Foxton top.

But that involves the sea. If you are going to allow that you might as well skip Hemholme and carry on down the Humber Estaury and then you can keep going for thousands of miles!

(and I bet you haven't done that in a narrowboat!)

David

I would agree, I think the descent stops when you reach tidal water or the lowest level on the route, it doesn't continue to the other end...

Otherwise, as you say, you could go out at Eastham and count the first lock up as being at Troy on the Hudson River :blush:

I would agree, I think the descent stops when you reach tidal water or the lowest level on the route, it doesn't continue to the other end...

Otherwise, as you say, you could go out at Eastham and count the first lock up as being at Troy on the Hudson River :blush:

Not that I was claiming the ones I listed as longest - I wasn't - just felt they must be up the league somewhere......

But can't I have Napton top to Limehouse, on the basis that at Limehouse you can go uphill again, (to get back to Napton, if you want!) ? :lol:

Not that I was claiming the ones I listed as longest - I wasn't - just felt they must be up the league somewhere......

But can't I have Napton top to Limehouse, on the basis that at Limehouse you can go uphill again, (to get back to Napton, if you want!) ? :lol:

Pedant mode on again

Because down hill from Napton top is towards Braunston not Oxford

Surely you mean Marston Doles Top........

Pedant mode on again

Because down hill from Napton top is towards Braunston not Oxford

Surely you mean Marston Doles Top........

I know what you mean, but it is definitely labelled "Napton Top Lock" these days, in much the same way as you have complained about BW's (re?-)naming of other locks. :rolleyes:

A bit like the lower lock at Norwood that I passed through 2 days ago, that insists it's part of Hanwell.....

I know what you mean, but it is definitely labelled "Napton Top Lock" these days, in much the same way as you have complained about BW's (re?-)naming of other locks. :rolleyes:

A bit like the lower lock at Norwood that I passed through 2 days ago, that insists it's part of Hanwell.....

Well its not

Neither are the first couple of locks above Whilton marina part of the Buckby flight, they are Whilton locks.

As I dont get down napton these days I wasnt aware that Marston Doles had been "renamed" by some BW office bod, its a pity that people dont keep using these names as they will dissappear along with any local history connected to them as people just wont know where the locks refered to are.