Generator does not run Washing Machine

Featured Posts

Hello all...

I recently bought a washing machine a Zanussi ZWC1300W - the compact one - to run off of my Vetus 6Kva generator. The problem is it doesn't!!! If i plug into shore power the machine is fine. If i run it from my inverter - an 1800W Powermaster - it tries to spin but fails, tries agin, fails and resets the machines cycle. I really need to run it off of the gen anyway as my battery bank will be soon ruined. All my other equipment, PC, TV is fine off the gen...just this b"£$%y washer sitting here doing nothing. I have searched the forum and no doubt it has come up before but i wonder if there are any solutions?

I suspect it is the output of the generator not being "clean" enough to run the washer. I have tried adding loads to the gen to no avail...

Any ideas?

What type of load did you add?

I had an identical probem with my Hoover WM and Genisis generator. I found that a 1KW fan heater running at the same time did the trick.

Frank

Hello all...

I recently bought a washing machine a Zanussi ZWC1300W - the compact one - to run off of my Vetus 6Kva generator. The problem is it doesn't!!! If i plug into shore power the machine is fine. If i run it from my inverter - an 1800W Powermaster - it tries to spin but fails, tries agin, fails and resets the machines cycle. I really need to run it off of the gen anyway as my battery bank will be soon ruined. All my other equipment, PC, TV is fine off the gen...just this b"£$%y washer sitting here doing nothing. I have searched the forum and no doubt it has come up before but i wonder if there are any solutions?

I suspect it is the output of the generator not being "clean" enough to run the washer. I have tried adding loads to the gen to no avail...

Any ideas?

I used the immersion heater...which if i turned on and off did fool the machine into filling, but as soon as it went to turn the drum nothing further.

I will try a motorised device see if that does it...

The manual does say you can adjust the engine speed to get the frequency correct which at the moment is 50Hz and 220v with no load which is not far off of the 51.5Hz the manual states. I am loath to fiddle with the speed as all my other equipment runs 100%...

I suspect you are right...

I have a couple of boats coming along in a few weeks and i will try to run their machines off of my gen, the hope being i will see which brands will or won't work.

I have a feeling the only thing getting cleaned out in the near future will be my wallet!

Hello all...

Any ideas?

This is the same washing machine as we have and the same generator we used to have. Wouldn't work for us either! We found that a lot of more sensitive equipment needed a load on the generator, we used a fan heater. Vetus said it was that the waveform was fluctuating too much for the electronics in the machine.

Our solution might be a bit radical for you but the Vetus became so unreliable, failing to start, cracking exhaust manifolds, water leaks, that despite being only 3 years old, we replaced it with an Onan with electronic speed control and now everything works ok. Except charger for my battery drill, I think the Vetus has b******d that up for good.

Hello all...

I recently bought a washing machine a Zanussi ZWC1300W - the compact one - to run off of my Vetus 6Kva generator. The problem is it doesn't!!!

Any ideas?

I think you are unlucky - we have the same washer and it runs fine from the Mastervolt 2500w inverter or from the Travelpower. Although its electronic, it doesn't seem to mind power interruptions etc, continuing from where it left off.

As others have suggested, try adding a heavly resistive load such as a heater, but you would have to leave the load on for the duration, and if its an immersion heater you would run the risk of it cutting out on its thermostat.

I believe that a Candy Aquamatic is a pretty safe bet for dodgy power.

nick

Thanks guys...

The Vetus has so far proved reliable - it only had 3 hours on it when i got it - but leaked coolant which was a result of Vetus marinising a very nice Mitsubishi engine...Ie Spraying it bright orange and fitting over-priced hoses without tightening them up! Sorted now...fingers crossed it stays that way...

If anyone has recommendations for a machine that works with a Vetus gen then please let me know...and watch out for a little used Zanussi on Ebay!

Edited by Paringa

Except charger for my battery drill, I think the Vetus has b******d that up for good.

Quite a few people have trouble with charging up cordless tools from an inverter & generator. I have some that are happy with it & some that dont fully charge. There does not seem to be a common factor.

You said in your post that you ran it off the inverter, not the genny, if so try it directly from the genny, I suspect your inverter is too small.

I tried to run it off the gen but it would not work...tried to run it off of the inverter but not happy on that...and ran it off shore power to confirm the machine did actually work. You are right the inverter is only just big enough, but running it off the gen is the problem i would like to sort if i can, and i suspect i will have to buy a new washer that does run with the Vetus gen...

I tried to run it off the gen but it would not work...tried to run it off of the inverter but not happy on that...and ran it off shore power to confirm the machine did actually work. You are right the inverter is only just big enough, but running it off the gen is the problem i would like to sort if i can, and i suspect i will have to buy a new washer that does run with the Vetus gen...

Your Vetus generator would have been made with a floating out put ie 110-volts each leg. This would be worth checking and finding out if it can be modified to 230-volts and a bonded neutral and earth.

Keith

That is more than i can undertake...and i wonder if it were possible why Vetus did not do it in the first place? The reservation i have is i could spend hundreds on getting the gen checked by a good electrician only to find it is not possible...and still needing another washer.

The suggestion of an expensive - but at least working - yacht washer designed to run off not so clean power is looking more attractive by the day...

The suggestion of an expensive - but at least working - yacht washer designed to run off not so clean power is looking more attractive by the day...

especially in view of the fact that there will be no practical way of testing any other washer until after you have purchased it.

I forsee you starting a 'nearly new washing machine shop' on ebay.

Edited by Sunset Rising

I do have RCD's...

But as i have said i wonder why if the gen could be modified in the way suggested - and i do not know enough about electrickery to answer this - why have Vetus not built it that way in the first place? And indeed by implication making it as "safe" as possible?

I have however heard back from the manufacturer and they have concluded:

The problem is that the frequency should be exactly 50 Hz and if this is not the case, what could happen with the high speed GHS6.2, a modern washing machine cannot cope with that. So you should try to get an exact frequency of 50 Hz, if this appears to be not possible, you have to look at a bigger generator with a better voltage regulator. Other option is to run the machine on a good inverter or Combi charger/inverter.

An older washing machine still without electronics would also be a “solution”.

So really i am no further forward, quite where i go from here i do not know - certainly not a bigger gen and not by Vetus! Probably into secondhand washers!!!!

Going up top now to enjoy the weather....Thanks for your input

Edited by Paringa

I do have RCD's...

But as i have said i wonder why if the gen could be modified in the way suggested - and i do not know enough about electrickery to answer this - why have Vetus not built it that way in the first place? And indeed by implication making it as "safe" as possible?

I have however heard back from the manufacturer and they have concluded:

The problem is that the frequency should be exactly 50 Hz and if this is not the case, what could happen with the high speed GHS6.2, a modern washing machine cannot cope with that. So you should try to get an exact frequency of 50 Hz, if this appears to be not possible, you have to look at a bigger generator with a better voltage regulator. Other option is to run the machine on a good inverter or Combi charger/inverter.

An older washing machine still without electronics would also be a “solution”.

So really i am no further forward, quite where i go from here i do not know - certainly not a bigger gen and not by Vetus! Probably into secondhand washers!!!!

Going up top now to enjoy the weather....Thanks for your input

I am on the Thames usually between Oxford and Wallingford...

Looked at the crcuit diagrams but they mean nothing to me...

I don't want to give up just yet...no rush and can always save for the yacht washers!

Edited by Paringa

None of those diagrams appear to show an earth connection. From what they do show there's absolutely no reason why 'B' couldn't be connected to boat-side PE, and in fact it should must be, for RCDs to work. Perhaps whoever installed it originally did make that connection. I certainly hope so.

Tony

I have had a look on here for floating earths and bonding and all this electrical stuff...Washing machines and generators seem to be a common problem and although i could not find much on it before i certainly can now! What a minefield it is...too much for me so i think i will need to consult an electrician.

For god's sake don't do that, most of them are no nothing halfwits, just get rid of the washing machine and all will be well.

:lol:

Are washing machines another example of the devil's work then PB? He seems to have been busy lately.

Richard (just another no nothing halfwit (retired))