cropredy marina

GUMPY

Featured Posts

Anyone seen this?

www.cropredymarina.com

Not much more than a hole in the ground no facilities to speak of

But if it's north of the village and the moorings are positioned at the lowest point on the site, will you be able to hear the music during the annual Fairport Convention festival???

Bob.

Anyone seen this?

www.cropredymarina.com

If I was going into a marina that is the type I would go for. I just want somewhere to park the boat when I am not using it

If I was going into a marina that is the type I would go for. I just want somewhere to park the boat when I am not using it

We are at Yelvertoft Marina which is of this type and we are very happy there. However, as we thoroughly enjoyed going to the

Fairport Convention music festival last year, we are attracted by the possibilty of not having to moor up a fortnight in advance.

Unfortunately it rained on and off throughout the weekend of last year's festival. I therefore wore my thin anorak and waterproof flat cap for much of the time. The pretty girl serving in the beer tent said I reminded her of "the bloke on the telly". It turned out she meant Freed Dibnah.

I pointed out that he is dead!!!

Bob.

We are at Yelvertoft Marina which is of this type and we are very happy there. However, as we thoroughly enjoyed going to the

Fairport Convention music festival last year, we are attracted by the possibilty of not having to moor up a fortnight in advance.

Unfortunately it rained on and off throughout the weekend of last year's festival. I therefore wore my thin anorak and waterproof flat cap for much of the time. The pretty girl serving in the beer tent said I reminded her of "the bloke on the telly". It turned out she meant Freed Dibnah.

Bob.

You must have been at the spirits bar. :rolleyes:

John H.

• 4 months later...

Anyone seen this?

www.cropredymarina.com

Hi, I'm Tim Langer, the developer.

The proposed marina will provide all the important canalside services, and a slipway. It won't have fancy clubhouses and the like for several good reasons -

1. The rural location.

2. Our focus is to boost the local economy - there are pubs, shop, etc within walking distance.

3. I can't afford to build them.

Cheers,

TIM

The proposed marina will provide all the important canalside services, and a slipway. It won't have fancy clubhouses and the like for several good reasons -

1. The rural location.

2. Our focus is to boost the local economy - there are pubs, shop, etc within walking distance.

Cheers,

TIM

Morning, Tim and welcome to the forum.

Your web site implies that the new marina will alleviate the problem of on line mooring on this length of canal. Could you explain why this will happen? Won't it just attract more boats to the area?

Nick

Your web site implies that the new marina will alleviate the problem of on line mooring on this length of canal. Could you explain why this will happen? Won't it just attract more boats to the area?

Nick

Edited by Theo
Guff removed

Nick

And reduce the congestion elsewhere?

From this document on their site:

Will the new marina reduce the number of on-line moorings locally?

British Waterways, who manage the Oxford Canal, are committed to reducing towpath moorings when new offline ones open. In the case of Cropredy Marina this will equate to a reduction of approximately 25 towpath moorings within 30 miles of the development.

Tony

Will the new marina reduce the number of on-line moorings locally?

British Waterways, who manage the Oxford Canal, are committed to reducing towpath moorings when new offline ones open. In the case of Cropredy Marina this will equate to a reduction of approximately 25 towpath moorings within 30 miles of the development.

However what BW have found in practice is that people who moor online do so by choice, not through lack of moorings. So very few people will move into a marina. If BW do close some moorings, those people tend to CM rather than go into a marina.

The Shroppie in Cheshire has seen four marinas open in the last few years with getting on for a 1000 new berths. Online moorings places have harldy been affected at all. They did try closing some in Audlem, but the locals objected saying the village was losing both business and character and BW reinstated them.

1. The rural location.

Cheers,

TIM

I like your reply, welcome

• 5 months later...

PRESS RELEASE

Planning Decision Welcomed

At a meeting of Cherwell District Council Planning Committee, on Thursday 5 January, members approved the proposed development of a new marina to the north of the village of Cropredy, on the Oxford Canal.

The new development will provide an offline marina for 249 boats, on land which is currently in agricultural use. The marina will occupy less than 20% of the overall site, and be positioned on the lowest ground, well away from the houses on the northern edge of the village. Presently, there is only one small offline marina on the Oxford Canal in the 44 miles between Oxford and Napton, which is reflected in the large numbers of boats moored along the banks of the canal.

There will be no workshops, shops or residential units on site. The only buildings will be a marina office and facilities building, with small storage units, all screened by extensive landscaping. Existing hedgerows, trees and watercourses will be retained and enhanced with additional informal native shrub and tree planting.

Tim Langer, developer of the marina, said: “We welcome the decision of the Cherwell District Council Planning Committee, and thank Cropredy Parish Council and local residents for their support and guidance throughout the extensive consultation and planning process. In developing the new marina our focus will be quite simply to provide quality moorings and to be a ‘good neighbour’ to the Village, and a key player in its on-going prosperity.”

Tim continued: “Now the marina application has been approved I can start to put together a timetable for its development. We will continue to listen and work closely with local residents, Cropredy Parish Council, and all interested parties.”

For further information on the marina please visit www.cropredymarina.com or call Chris Stanley on 01327 871 701 or 07817 312 718.

Bob.

We also have a 'dead ringer' for Freed Dibnah near us in Audlem. He plays a mean penny whistle at the regular folk nights and could earn a good living as a celebrity double.

Sorry, way off topic!

Edited by Doorman

This is not good news. It appears that the developer is aiming at maximum occupancy with minimum facilities - if you go and moor in a 200 + berth marina you expect a shop, chandlery, repair facilities etc. Surely they would at least sell diesel? But why is such a large marina required? There is another proposal for a much smaller marina, 20 or so berths I think, to the South of the village, which would be far more acceptable.

As for there being only one small offline marina in that stretch: well yes there is, Sovereign Wharf at Banbury, but there is also a large offline marina at Fenny Compton.

If I have misunderstood the developer's intentions (I speak as a local moorer at Clattercote Wharf) I hope that Mr. Langer will correct me.

Edited by Athy

Mr Langers attitude to Marinas is fairly clear, Crick is now 3 times its original size and I believe it still has the same facilities as ever. These comprise of one toilet, a washing machine and a dryer, no showers, no shop. Dont get me wrong, I agree a lot of moorers are happy with that situation but since the lack of facilities is not reflected in the charges, I do wonder about how many are going to russh to moor at Cropredy. AS time goes on people expect far more in the way of facilities at marinas, I wonder if Tim is consious of this and intends to make Cropredy any different.

Mr Langers attitude to Marinas is fairly clear, Crick is now 3 times its original size and I believe it still has the same facilities as ever. These comprise of one toilet, a washing machine and a dryer, no showers, no shop. Dont get me wrong, I agree a lot of moorers are happy with that situation but since the lack of facilities is not reflected in the charges, I do wonder about how many are going to russh to moor at Cropredy. AS time goes on people expect far more in the way of facilities at marinas, I wonder if Tim is consious of this and intends to make Cropredy any different.

Thanks for your comments.

Crick is now 2.2 times its original size. A contract has just been let to expand the toilet facilities. Full occupancy suggests our charges are competitive!

A key element of our Cropredy application was the boost to local businesses, so we will not offer anything at the marina which is already available in the village.

Our charges at Cropredy will be very competitive and in proportion with the facilities offered, and the location.

Thank you for your swift response. Diesel is not available in the village. Bottled gas was available from the Bridge Stores, but no longer is.

In the words of the late great singer Doris Troy, "What'cha gonna do about it?"

This is not good news. It appears that the developer is aiming at maximum occupancy with minimum facilities - if you go and moor in a 200 + berth marina you expect a shop, chandlery, repair facilities etc. Surely they would at least sell diesel? But why is such a large marina required? There is another proposal for a much smaller marina, 20 or so berths I think, to the South of the village, which would be far more acceptable.

As for there being only one small offline marina in that stretch: well yes there is, Sovereign Wharf at Banbury, but there is also a large offline marina at Fenny Compton.

If I have misunderstood the developer's intentions (I speak as a local moorer at Clattercote Wharf) I hope that Mr. Langer will correct me.

Thanks for your comments.

We will have all normal canalside services - diesel, gas, solid fuels, water, pumpout, etc. We expect a lot of passing trade. There will also be mains power, free wifi, and a slipway. We are keen that our moorers support village shops etc as they have done at Crick.

I hope this clarifies matters.

Thank you for your swift response. Diesel is not available in the village. Bottled gas was available from the Bridge Stores, but no longer is.

In the words of the late great singer Doris Troy, "What'cha gonna do about it?"

In the words of the late great singer Doris Troy "I'll do anything".