Bathroom time...

Pretty Funked Up

Featured Posts

Hi

its time start the bathroom revamp and I was after peoples opinions (pros n cons) on...

A shower going into a step bath VS a dedicated shower cubicle

obviously one pro for step bath is the drain pump doesnt need to be run till you've finished.

a pro for the shower cubicle is a larger flat area to stand and clean yourself in.

So what are peoples favourites and why? :unsure:

Hi

its time start the bathroom revamp and I was after peoples opinions (pros n cons) on...

A shower going into a step bath VS a dedicated shower cubicle

obviously one pro for step bath is the drain pump doesnt need to be run till you've finished.

a pro for the shower cubicle is a larger flat area to stand and clean yourself in.

So what are peoples favourites and why? :unsure:

I have a shower cubicle and don't have to run the pump till finished, so that argument doesn't apply. As you said a larger area to shower in and you seem to have more room in the bathroom. It does make a nice drying area as well.

Sue

Another consideration (if you plan to keep the boat for any great length of time) is that as you get older, stepping into and out of a bath becomse more and more difficult. Elderly relatives/guests might also appreciate a shower tray for the same reason.

Tony

Thanks sue

Do you know what make tray you have? how big n how deep is it?

many thanks

(interesting point Tony - something that wouldnt have entered my head before, nice one. Both my parents are retired and will use the boat occasionally but mum prefers the step bath because she can hand wash clothes in it easily whilst travelling, dont think getting in and out entered her head either lol)

Edited by Pretty Funked Up

erh who has time to fill their water tank sup every other day..

I cant remember the number of years since I last had a bath...

Plus almost every "bath" seen on a boat looks like a small size to minature...version that dosnt appeal.

but no doubt some one will be a long in a minute promoting the pro-bath cause

best check out loo options as well.....

It currently has a step bath and I always use it as a shower but the option of a bath is there if you had the sudden urge for a bath :)

I personally want to get rid of it and go for a modern shower cubicle but I want to also do whats best for the resale value of the boat, so value peoples opinions on here as to which to fit. :cheers:

Ah well, most people would probably prefer to buy a boat with a modern shower, but I will put in a word for the bath.

Firstly, there will be occasions when you can use it as a bath - at the end of a long day's boating, calorifier full of hot water, and a water point in sight in the morning - bliss.

Secondly, on those occasions when you have to eke the water out, sitting in the bath with a bucket and jug is easier than sitting in the shower.

A dedicated shower needn't be more spacious than a bath. I'd say a bath gives you more flexibility.

I have a shower cubicle and don't have to run the pump till finished, so that argument doesn't apply. As you said a larger area to shower in and you seem to have more room in the bathroom. It does make a nice drying area as well.

Sue

Thanks sue

many thanks

I don't put the pump on until near the end of my shower.....it depends really on how long you shower for and whether you can easily reach the switch or not. I don't have an unusually big shower tray.

Jan

another vote for a bath, you cant beat them for softening wind roughened skin, and nothing works better for soaking away aches, even if you do have to occasionally hang legs out!

plus, if you shower in an evening, leave the plug in and then throw in the smalls with a bit of washing soda to soak overnight and then rinse through next day....leaves the bath nice and clean too...

I've got a relatively small water tank so water use is important. The step bath is ideal for this as you can get yourself wet, then turn off the shower to wash, and you have some water in the bath to use. Then you can stand up and rinse off. You also have more space than most shower cubicles to stand in. You also have somewhere to hang wet coats or wash items that are a bit big for a basin. At 4' x 2'ish it can fit across the boat in the bathroom, maximising use of space.

We have a bath but only use it occasionally. Mostly use the shower (over bath) however its nice to have the option. I hate shower cubicles as I find them too confining. Bath is used frequently as drying area, outdoor clothes as well as washing and storage area for laundry basket. If you have the room I would keep both especially as you may sell. We discarded every boat with no bath!

We have a bath but only use it occasionally. Mostly use the shower (over bath) however its nice to have the option. I hate shower cubicles as I find them too confining. Bath is used frequently as drying area, outdoor clothes as well as washing and storage area for laundry basket. If you have the room I would keep both especially as you may sell. We discarded every boat with no bath!

I would discard any boat with a bath so you pay your money and take your choice.

Sue

I'm in favour of a short bath with a shower over for the reasons already given above:

Economy of water if pushed.

Useful for hand washing.

Can be used to wash an un-cooperative small dog.

If you are small enough you can even get a bath in the little bit of a step bath which is about the size of the sink. It didn't cross my mind till I saw my wife do it.

Yes, I vote for a bath. However, if you decide to have a bath, get a decent steel one, not the cheap plastic kind which are very easy to scratch. (Google La Bette small baths).

The space under the bath is ideal for fitting the water pump, the central heating pump, the accumulator etc.

Thanks sue

many thanks

(interesting point Tony - something that wouldnt have entered my head before, nice one. Both my parents are retired and will use the boat occasionally but mum prefers the step bath because she can hand wash clothes in it easily whilst travelling, dont think getting in and out entered her head either lol)

I would have thought by the time you have problems getting in and out of a bath you will have even more problems getting on and off the boat

Yes, I vote for a bath. However, if you decide to have a bath, get a decent steel one, not the cheap plastic kind which are very easy to scratch. (Google La Bette small baths).

The space under the bath is ideal for fitting the water pump, the central heating pump, the accumulator etc.

The current one is steel (or tin) which is very cold lol when you first touch it :) but the room soon becomes a sauna/steam room.

Hmmm its beginning to look like keeping the bath as is would be the most popular. :unsure:

Edited by Pretty Funked Up

The current one is steel (or tin) which is very cold lol when you first touch it :) but the room soon becomes a sauna/steam room.

Hmmm its beginning to look like keeping the bath as is would be the most popular. :unsure:

When I'm in water saving mode, I wring out a flannel in the bucket of hot water and sit on that (on the ledge).

its a bit like the theory of china or pottery for a tea cup... the china gets hot and keeps the tea hot, a pottery mug bleeds the heat and so it goes cold quicker.... likewise a steel bath is cold initially but scalding hot water heats it very quickly and keeps it hot, needing less cold water to mix. Unless you are a softie and prefer lukewarm water. A plastic bath is just nasty to sit on! ...and when it gets scratched.....bleargh!

its a bit like the theory of china or pottery for a tea cup... the china gets hot and keeps the tea hot, a pottery mug bleeds the heat and so it goes cold quicker.... likewise a steel bath is cold initially but scalding hot water heats it very quickly and keeps it hot, needing less cold water to mix. Unless you are a softie and prefer lukewarm water. A plastic bath is just nasty to sit on! ...and when it gets scratched.....bleargh!

Given the size of a typical calorifier, this is not an advantage. I agree with the rest though. Plastic baths are horrible.

In answer to the OP, my partner hates showers and loves baths, but found the tiny baths on the boats we rented completely pointless, so we have ended up buying a boat with a shower only because he was indifferent. We have a very large sink, so hand-washing is not a problem - although it is blissfully easy in a bath. For rinsing, I used to drain the bath, form a dam with the clothes at the end opposite the plug-hole and stick the shower head behind them to do all the work whilst I made a cup of tea. It's really quick and easy. But not as easy as the launderette.

I think if I was designing a bathroom, it would be: 4' wide with a wetroom shower on one side and a toilet on the other; with both sides enclosed by double doors;the double doors form separate rooms and a corridor when both sets are closed, and incorporate the corridor into one side or the other when one set is open. The toilet side compartment would be big enough to use without needing to close off the corridor. I'm sure there would be some technical design challenges to get this right, but it's part of my latest fantasy layout. You'd have a massive space to shower in, with plenty of space to dry in as well, for 4' of cabin space.

Edited by ymu

Okay, I'll confess. I have a corner jacuzzi bath with chromotherapy light! I also have a waterfall shower over it which is rarely used - although fab. All terribly extravagant, but having a bath is utterly bliss after a long days' cruising, and the built in seat is perfect to stand a glass of wine. Funnily enough, I use a shower when living on land, but I think it's because when on land you're busy working so don't have hours to soak, whereas on the boat means you can be as leisurely as you like. Mind you there's something about cubicles that makes me claustrophobic (I'm not usually though).

The bathroom on my boat is my favourite 'room'. We can fill the bath up four or five times over between water points so it's not so bad and I wouldn't have it any other way just because it's lush.