Overstaying

mayalld

Featured Posts

Not so, two of the boats permanently moored in the boatyard where I am currently (not on BW waters) have BW-007-xxx licences.

I know for a fact that is their home mooring because they are workboats that come on and off BW waters.

That's as may be, Do they have a BW mooring? from your statement I presume not!

I was on the phone to BW as I typed the message, asking the question so I know you are trying to be misleading.

Edited by idleness

But but but....

BW's policy is to reduce online mooring so where are you going to find the 3,000 places for all those with no home mooring?

Slightly tongue in cheek, maybe, but......

I'd say in excess of 50% of moorings being advertised on the BW auction site remain unsold, even at the reserve price. There are a lot of moorings that people could take up, if they had an urge to. Certainly on the GU, which I have tracked, those actually let has fallen well below 50% of those advertised.

An awful lot of people have quit the local marina here too, and have now become (very) local "continuous cruisers", (although in some cases I guess where it is within the last year their licence may still indicate they are in the marina).

Again, there are quite a few moorings to be had there, if you still have plenty of money, (but not, if you don't!...)

I'm not trying to score any points here - I'm just trying to say what the facts are in one part of the country - and those are facts - I'm not putting any spin on it.

A lot of people bridge hopping around here could actually spend money to get a permanent mooring, if they saw the need to do so. Frank conversation with several I know has said they couldn't justify continuing to pay for a mooring, when it is fairly obvious you can get away without doing so.

To be balanced, all say they have suffered some extra hardships and inconvenience by this choice, (parking and car movements being a common one), but none I have yet observed has found it bad enough to go and seek out a permanent mooring again.

But but but....

BW's policy is to reduce online mooring so where are you going to find the 3,000 places for all those with no home mooring?

My point exactly, and put in similar terms to BW, who are my client. So they are spending money with me, to ignore advice on how to get extra cash.

I did suggest they need not bother increasing my licence fees until they'd sorted out their ideas

<snip>

the laws of physics dictate that this boat must be somewhere (quantum possibilities apart)

<snip>

I'm glad I think quantum theory is bollocks. Otherwise I'd either know where a boat was, or how fast it was going, and both appear to cause apoplexy

Eschew quantum - Newton was right!

Richard

I'm glad I think quantum theory is bollocks. Otherwise I'd either know where a boat was, or how fast it was going, and both appear to cause apoplexy

Eschew quantum - Newton was right!

Richard

if it wasn't for quantum mechanics our Richard, you wouldn't be typing in this 'ere forum. Not bad for a bit of bollocks.

if it wasn't for quantum mechanics our Richard, you wouldn't be typing in this 'ere forum. Not bad for a bit of bollocks.

D'you think so? As I remember it, quantum theory is a branch of mathematics for modelling things so, for instance, engineers can make stuff. It's plainly bollocks because there are too many acts of faith in it, and too many times when the answer has to be fudged, or is one or infinity (and there are many sizes of infinity).

Some day there will be a new theory which will work without all these exceptions, and computers will still work in exactly the same way.

Modelling is not reality

Richard

Bring back the clockwork universe!

D'you think so? As I remember it, quantum theory is a branch of mathematics for modelling things so, for instance, engineers can make stuff. It's plainly bollocks because there are too many acts of faith in it, and too many times when the answer has to be fudged, or is one or infinity (and there are many sizes of infinity).

Some day there will be a new theory which will work without all these exceptions, and computers will still work in exactly the same way.

Modelling is not reality

Richard

Bring back the clockwork universe!

I think someone should tell the climate change lobby.

Is anyone else getting a bit confused by this?

How do you do that Carl? You've always got an old post up your sleeve from several years ago ready to catch out the unwary hypocrite! :unsure:

Anyway, back on topic, shouldn't overstaying CCers be seen by lefties as an oppressed vulnerable group? :lol:

An awful lot of people have quit the local marina here too, and have now become (very) local "continuous cruisers", (although in some cases I guess where it is within the last year their licence may still indicate they are in the marina).

What's to stop someone using their last marina on the licence for years after they leave --- are there any checks?

My licence code starts SO (Soar?)--- but have been elsewhere for 18 months.

Tony

This one?

No, that is the SAP transaction number

gosh, I've must have specsavers on the brain, i just read that as

Confuscious he say " man with still boat save environment shortsighted

so come on then Mr Patrick..... I am interested as to whether the licence I have posted is with a home mooring or not?

The bit you posted isn't the bit that tells you that.

Not so, two of the boats permanently moored in the boatyard where I am currently (not on BW waters) have BW-007-xxx licences.

I know for a fact that is their home mooring because they are workboats that come on and off BW waters.

BW-007-xxx or BW-xxx-007 mooring codes indicate a boat that is licenced on BW waters without a home mooring on BW waters.

This means;

• Continuous cruisers
  • Trailable boats
  • Boats based on non-BW waters

BW-007-xxx or BW-xxx-007 mooring codes indicate a boat that is licenced on BW waters without a home mooring on BW waters.

This means;

• Continuous cruisers
  • Trailable boats
  • Boats based on non-BW waters

and if one of those is on the upper peak forest for several months?

(it's called a leading question Dave)

If your problem is with CCers who dont have a need for a mooring, then that is a seperate discussion and i cant help you with that one. Not all overstaying moorers are CCers, some have home moorings elsewhere on the system.

All the ones at Furness Vale currently are.

Had a quick check tonight (it is on the way home, so it really is no bother)

Of 10 boats that were there two weeks ago, 6 are still there.

60% overstaying.

and if one of those is on the upper peak forest for several months?

... it wouldn't surprise me one little bit.

lol - you don't understand math either.

Well, apart from the fact that in the UK, it is usually called mathS, and it is best to avoid US-centric terms like "math";

Yes, I do understand the maths.

60% of the boats that were there 14 days and 4 hours earlier are there now, and are overstaying.

I am having to stay out of this discussion mainly because I am travelling and not sure when I would be able to contribute, but then this subject has been done to death anyway and we will all agree to disagree. As a CCer I am not really bothered if someone chooses to overstay and when moorings are full I simply move elsewhere.

Back to Dave's present project two things strike me that will make it slightly flawed. 1 How many boats have been unable to moor because of the over stayers? 2. Surely during the winter months you can cut people some slack as the canals tend to be quite and over staying is not such a big issue.

I am with dave that CMers can spoil other peoples enjoyment but then for me life is to short to worry!!

Well, apart from the fact that in the UK, it is usually called mathS, and it is best to avoid US-centric terms like "math";

Yes, I do understand the maths.

60% of the boats that were there 14 days and 4 hours earlier are there now, and are overstaying.

You've forgotten to count the ones that arrived and departed between the two dates in your dossier. Your 60% is not a valid percentage of anything.

understanding math and how to apply it is more important than using 'dave's approved' term for it

• Greenie 2

Because our Nev wants a good moan.

He hasn't got the intelligence to realise that the laws of physics dictate that this boat must be somewhere (quantum possibilities apart) so that if it is just outside his marina then, logically, it isn't on a mooring he is going to want to use. Perhaps he would rather it occupied a different mooring every two days, but I'm not sure why.

The politics of envy plays a great part here but what our Nev hasn't quite worked out (too many syllables i suspect) is that the only person that suffers is the envious.

Too right, yer pays yer money and you get to moan. Please don't comment on my intelligence.

We all suffer when there isn't enough in the pot to pay for the upkeep of the canals, then in my opinion those that are happy to abuse the 'rules' move on to the next free ride.

Stay safe

Nev

NB Waterlily

ok,

down in London,

there are winter moorers who have now moved off the designated moorings into adjacent visitor mooring spaces.

There are also winter moorers who have moved from their paid for locations into other nearby locations.

How does this sit with Nev and dragons arguments.

So while you were away did any of your fellow paying online moorers go to nb wedontcare and ask why it was overstaying and breaking the rules , or did they just not care if they were overstaying , i know that after 4 weeks out cruising the last thing i would be worrying about is if any particular boat had moved.

edit to ask , what happened when you moored up on your return and went to nb wedontcare and asked what they were playing at , or did you not bother to ask.

It was a hypothetical situation, but one that happens. I doubt there would be any interaction from many boaters myself included as the likelihood of a less that friendly response to spoil the day would be high. But then again isn't this type of checking what I pay part of my mooring fee an license for?

Take care

Nev

NB Waterlily

2. Surely during the winter months you can cut people some slack as the canals tend to be quite and over staying is not such a big issue.

This is a genuine question, John, not an attempt to stir.....

If you turn a blind eye to a bit of overstaying, then how much eye-turning is too much eye-turning?

In my home town, there has not been any particular mooring shortage at any point in the winter, (although many would argue that the best bit to moor on has remained almost permanently full throughout).

BW allocated a longish length of tow-path as winter moorings, advertised it as such, and came and marked it with some temporary signs. There hasn't been a jot of evidence of any of those Winter Moorings being taken up.

Meanwhile there are several boats less than 100 yards away,(on a rather better bit!), that haven't moved since at least October, (other than to the water point and back).

OK, those boats are causing nobody any harm currently, but observing that there is apparently little or no enforcement is encouraging other locals to give up marina or linear permanent moorings, to join the local set on visitor moorings. (That's not speculation - people I know have told me that is what they have chosen to do).

Perhaps if BW did more enforcing, they would sell some of those Winter Moorings, and generate some revenue. If they aren't going to bother, why go through the effort of advertising them, and putting up signs?

OK, I know some will say I don't know if BW has an arrangement with the many boats that outwardly look like over-stayers. It's possible of course, but if they have, an awful lot of people are pleading "special circumstances".

So, simple question - whilst the town is not full up, is it fine for BW to let boat owners that have not shifted their boats since October carry on as they are ?

Given these boats, including the ones giving up permanent moorings, will still largely be about when it does get a lot busier for the summer, what should BW do then ?

This is a genuine question, John, not an attempt to stir.....

Alan it was a genuine question and I was not talking about staying months what I meant was at this time of year provided there are still moorings available can't see the problem with overstaying by a few days or maybe even a week did not mean from October through to March then they should do as I have done and pay for winter moorings. I was just commenting on the fact that dave would appear to be sticking very ridgesly to the 14 days in his survey at this time of year.