gas

colin loach

Featured Posts

Do the work yourself (If you are competent of course), but get it signed off by a gas-safe member. They will do a gas test for you, equivalent to that done as part of a BSC.

It is NOT necessary to have it signed off by a member of the cartel.

Any idiot can install gas equipment just as any idiot can get themselves blown up!! Get it done professionally with certification and then if anything goes pear shaped at least your insurance company will pay out. Don't even bother to claim in any other scenario. I can't believe that obtaining a gas certificate to say it's gas tight on the DAY will stack up as evidence that it has been professionally installed.

Any idiot can install gas equipment just as any idiot can get themselves blown up!! Get it done professionally with certification and then if anything goes pear shaped at least your insurance company will pay out. Don't even bother to claim in any other scenario. I can't believe that obtaining a gas certificate to say it's gas tight on the DAY will stack up as evidence that it has been professionally installed.

Frankly, having SEEN some jobs done by people who are certified.....

I know that an installation that I do myself is sound, and I know that I tested it. That installation is both legal and safe.

The idea that using a professional makes an explosion less likely is nonsense.

• Greenie 1

I can't believe that obtaining a gas certificate to say it's gas tight on the DAY will stack up as evidence that it has been professionally installed.

Even if it is installed by a gas installer, they can only say it is gas tight on the DAY they did the work, or even at the particular minute they undertook the tightness test, so it is not really a valid point.

If it has been tested and certified to a standard by a suitably qualified individual, it makes no difference who installed it. As mayalld says, "having SEEN some jobs done by people who are certified....."

In that case, in my opinion they are not competent to do the work in the first place.

Everybody is capable of making mistakes, even the professionals. There is no harm in getting someone to check over your work to ensure that it is fit for use and safe, especially when dealing with something that is potentially life threatening.

In that case, in my opinion they are not competent to do the work in the first place.

Exactly!

Everybody is capable of making mistakes, even the professionals. There is no harm in getting someone to check over your work to ensure that it is fit for use and safe, especially when dealing with something that is potentially life threatening.

Is it then your contention that if you have work done by a gas safe professional, you should have a second professional check it?

Frankly, having SEEN some jobs done by people who are certified.....

I know that an installation that I do myself is sound, and I know that I tested it. That installation is both legal and safe.

The idea that using a professional makes an explosion less likely is nonsense.

All the faults on my boat has been caused by professionals. One engineer even caused my boat to catch fire.

There you go making things up again. Where have i said that?

when you said;

I am capable of installing a gas pipe just as competently as a gas safe engineer.

If there is no harm in me getting somebody else to check my work, and if professionals can make mistakes too, it logically follows that an work done by a professional should also be checked.

when you said;

I am capable of installing a gas pipe just as competently as a gas safe engineer.

If there is no harm in me getting somebody else to check my work, and if professionals can make mistakes too, it logically follows that an work done by a professional should also be checked.

The word in red, which i have highlighted for your benefit David as you seem incapable of picking it out on your own, is quite important in that sentence.

The word in red, which i have highlighted for your benefit David as you seem incapable of picking it out on your own, is quite important in that sentence.

So, if I do work on my own account, I should get it checked, because I might have made a mistake, and it is me that could be blown up.

If somebody else does work for me, I shouldn't get it checked, but the person doing the work should?

Am I right up until this point?

What if the gas safe engineer doing the work doesn't get it inspected by a second person? What should I do then?

So, if I do work on my own account, I should get it checked, because I might have made a mistake, and it is me that could be blown up.

If somebody else does work for me, I shouldn't get it checked, but the person doing the work should?

Am I right up until this point?

What if the gas safe engineer doing the work doesn't get it inspected by a second person? What should I do then?

Do whatever you wish David. So long as it doesnt include trying to pick silly fights with anybody and everybody who dares to write something with which you dont agree.

If you are willing to work on your own gas system then that is your choice. If someone wishes to get their work checked by a third party, then that is their choice.

Do whatever you wish David. So long as it doesnt include trying to pick silly fights with anybody and everybody who dares to write something with which you dont agree.

If you are willing to work on your own gas system then that is your choice. If someone wishes to get their work checked by a third party, then that is their choice.

Indeed so.

However, you are the one who has just realised that you've painted yourself into a corner with this "if you do the work yourself, you SHOULD get it checked" nonsense.

Indeed so.

However, you are the one who has just realised that you've painted yourself into a corner with this "if you do the work yourself, you SHOULD get it checked" nonsense.

David, you keep making things up.

I have never said that.

here we go again, the usual nit picking that is all too familiar on here....play nicely children!

It isnt nit picking. Its David making things up so that he can have silly arguments about the things he has made up. The usual order of the day, really ;)