Napton - Heading Southwards

mark99

Featured Posts

Hi peops.

We have a week to travel from Napton southwards on the Oxford canal. (In May)

Bearing in mind it's got to be a return journey, any recommendations on which destination aim to reach before we spin round?

Any highlights, pubs, places to avoid?

I think Oxford is proably a bit too far....... we don't like to make it a rush. :closedeyes:

Just ordered a Nicholsons.

TIA

Mark

Best of all, deliberately avoid planning it. Just go for half a week, then turn round and head back again. If there's no schedule, you can't be behind schedule, and you don't have to worry about anything.

(Edited for tryping errors)

Edited by Keeping Up

A really nice rural trip and been down that way many times. You should be able to make Aynho and back quite comfortably in a week of about 6hrs a day cruising. If you want to go further, then Lower Heyford is a lovely village and of course there is the delightful village of Cropredy before you reach Banbury.

For supplies, Banbury is good, and I would recommend you moor near bridge 168 and Morrisons is just over the road.

As far as pubs go, you MUST visit the Great Western at Aynho. Wonderful food and beer and really friendly owners. The Bell at Lower Heyford also very good.

Hope you have a good trip - you can't really fail to down there.

Hi.

The first canal holiday i ever took commenced from Napton, South on the Oxford. Now bearing in mind we were an all male crew (divorced coppers x 4), liked a beer, and were not exactly early risers, we got to Dukes cut before turning with no time constraints. Happy days... Sad to report that some days were rather hazy, but it hooked me for life.

John

P.S. Itinerary dictated by pub stops. The ONLY way.

:cheers:

As far as pubs go, you MUST visit the Great Western at Aynho. Wonderful food and beer and really friendly owners. The Bell at Lower Heyford also very good.

Would second the comments about the Bell at Lower Heyford. The children insist on stopping there whenever we're in the area.

There's a website that contains updates for the Nicholsons guides. Worth a visit as there are a "few omissions".

Why do people go on about tooleys? As far as I can work out its just a dry dock and a grumpy man?

Philistine.

Being grumpy is an art form. takes years of dedicated practice and concentration.

Then someone like you comes along and says 'just' grumpy.

Wash your mouth out and go stand in the corner.

Philistine.

Being grumpy is an art form. takes years of dedicated practice and concentration.

Then someone like you comes along and says 'just' grumpy.

Wash your mouth out and go stand in the corner.

Smirk! Just personal experience of course :)

Work a bit harder and go all the way to Oxenford.

Spend half a day exploring the colleges - even take one of the guided tours, walk down the side streets away from the dreaded tourists - It's magic.

Lots of ethnic restaurants - again avoid the main drag.

Recommended by Alan Coren (and me)is SoJo Chinese restaurant 8-9 Hythe Bridge Street. Select your own mix of meat and veg and watch it cook on a giant hot plate. SIX quid. Can be scrummy if you're sensible with the 'erbs and spices..

It's visible from the end of the canal arm.

Take the train from Heyford - if you can find somewhere to moor. Some buses cross the canal at various places 'twixt Heyford and the City.

Work a bit harder and go all the way to Oxenford.

Spend half a day exploring the colleges - even take one of the guided tours, walk down the side streets away from the dreaded tourists - It's magic.

Lots of ethnic restaurants - again avoid the main drag.

Recommended by Alan Coren (and me)is SoJo Chinese restaurant 8-9 Hythe Bridge Street. Select your own mix of meat and veg and watch it cook on a giant hot plate. SIX quid. Can be scrummy if you're sensible with the 'erbs and spices..

It's visible from the end of the canal arm.

Take the train from Heyford - if you can find somewhere to moor. Some buses cross the canal at various places 'twixt Heyford and the City.

:D

Its supposed to be a holiday, Oxford and back would be bloody hard work to say the very least and no stopping anywhere.....