The Admiral Nelson - Braunston

scrumpylurcher

Featured Posts

Sorry to report that the Nelson has again closed down. All the doors and windows have been shuttered up, so it doesnt look to be a short term action. I suppose it is a sign of the times but it will be a serious loss to the cut if the closure is permanent

It wouldn't have anything to do with the very mixed reviews that people gave it after it's last re-opening, then ?

IMO there are still many very excellent, good value, welcoming canal-side pubs out there, so in these difficult times, none has a right to assume they have an automatic clientèle just because they have a lot of history, or a key location.

That said the "Nelson" is at a place that is great for boaters in the summer months, but is always going to have to struggle hard to find a marketplace throughout the whole year. But I do get the impression that whilst some had praised it, probably an equal number had been less impressed.

It wouldn't have anything to do with the very mixed reviews that people gave it after it's last re-opening, then ?

IMO there are still many very excellent, good value, welcoming canal-side pubs out there, so in these difficult times, none has a right to assume they have an automatic clientèle just because they have a lot of history, or a key location.

That said the "Nelson" is at a place that is great for boaters in the summer months, but is always going to have to struggle hard to find a marketplace throughout the whole year. But I do get the impression that whilst some had praised it, probably an equal number had been less impressed.

I agree any pub can't expect automatic loyalty or custom. My recent experiences of the Nelson were OK actually although I would say not necessarily outstanding either.

However it seems that most often the feeling of loss is a theoretical or nostalgic one. It is like saying wasn't it great whe we used to have shops just around the corner and blame "big business" for opening out of town stores. We are to blame too. It wouldn't work if we didn't shop there and used the local store instead in the first place. They would still be there if that was so. Same with the pubs. It isn't just canal side pubs that are struggling (and they were before the economic downturn) it is just that not enough people want to spend their money in that way.

We had a nice meal there as recently as November, and the food has always been good in my recent experience. It is very lacking in character and atmosphere though for such a historically significant pub.

We ate there in September. There was one other couple eating and one chap came in and had a drink at the bar while we were there. The food was OK and the staff were friendly, but I agree it lacked atmosphere.

We went for a meal there about 18 months ago when someone (nice guy) had just taken over.

It turned out to be quite funny. We would choose something from the menu & he would say 'ah, we havn't got that today' --- several times.

I the end it was a case of --- just tell us what you HAVE got.

Had a feeling that he wouldn't be there too long.

Tony

Sorry, to say but my words on a visit after The Nelson re-opened was also "I cannot see this lasting too long". Poor food, poor service, unable to pay on debit card. This really could be a great pub. I do hope it re-opens again with a landlord / landlady with some real common sense & flair.

I went there shortly after it reopened after being closed for some time, I can't remember how long ago but must be getting on for 2 years, when they couldn't take credit cards. I had ham and egg and it was the nicest piece of ham that I have had in a long time, the grand kids had sausage and it was some wrinkly, synthetic mass-produced revolting thing imaginable

Yep we were caught out on Saturday after parking at the marina and having a walk up... was looking forward to a pint and recall when it was last closed there wasn't the steel shutters erected over the windows and doorways that there are this time and it looks like it may be for the long haul... there seemed to be two piles of what looked like high steel fencing lay on the grass waiting to be erected and it looks as though it may be fenced off altogether.

To be honest I think mixed reviews were probabley justified with the beer well over £3.00 a pint last year (£3.30 IIRC) and the food a bit hit and miss but very sad to see it closed again, I think it will take someone very brave to take it on in the present climate but here's hoping.

Edit: Linky to a very sad image... http://img340.imageshack.us/i/dsc00143to.jpg/

Edited by The Anonymous Bard

Without commenting specifically on the Admiral Nelson, the loss of pubs like this is a national problem. One of the biggest causes are the pubcos that have bought up so many of these places - the Admiral Nelson is one example, owned by Punch, or Enterprise, or Admiral - I forget which. The rents are far too high, and they are tied to buying all their drinks from the pubco at inflated prices - as much as 40% more than the price on the open market for a firkin (9 gallons) of beer. These costs, together with rising duty rates and higher VAT, have to be passed on to the customer, many of whom have given up going. Meanwhile the major supermarkets are selling alcohol, particularly lager and cider, at a price which is below cost. And, although I wouldn't want to go back to smoke filled bars, I think the smoking ban must have taken its toll too.

CAMRA expressed great disappointment when the OFT reported recently that they did not think the practice unfair.

Yep we were caught out on Saturday after parking at the marina and having a walk up... was looking forward to a pint and recall when it was last closed there wasn't the steel shutters erected over the windows and doorways that there are this time and it looks like it may be for the long haul... there seemed to be two piles of what looked like high steel fencing lay on the grass waiting to be erected and it looks as though it may be fenced off altogether.

To be honest I think mixed reviews were probabley justified with the beer well over £3.00 a pint last year (£3.30 IIRC) and the food a bit hit and miss but very sad to see it closed again, I think it will take someone very brave to take it on on the present climate but here's hoping.

Potential private home? Lovely location.

Martyn

Potential private home? Lovely location.

Martyn

It would be a real shame if that were to happen. The pub is part of what makes it such a lovely location. If it were to become yet another private house alongside the canal, there would be less of the character that makes the area so attractive.

Braunston is one place where the water and land based communities exist side by side, both benefiting from each other. It would be tempting to developers to allow the village to spread out along the canal but I think this would ultimately damage both the village and the canal.

Even better a private home occupied by someone with an independant income, who would like to run a summer pub.

Sounds good. I'll buy it, live there and in the summer cook good honest food. You (and whoever) bring your/their own drinks. No need for license.

Will the building cost more than sixpence? And no I'm not belittling your comment David. I do believe that could work.

Another thought of course is that complete refurbishment/demolish/rebuild is to take place. Investment with good manager/tenant in place upon completion.

Martyn

I was once a fan of the Nelson....

I went to see the Manager just after Christmas to arrange a surprise party for my wife on the 8th Jan. All details sorted including menu he was even arranging Birthday Cake. When I phoned on the 4th of Jan his response was 'Oh I meant to phone you but forgot, we have closed down'.

I had 4 days to notify everyone and re-arrange to the Boathouse. Who were wonderful?

Nelson an ideal place, Management not so ideal :(

Terence

Cynically, I would expect the site to be sold to a developer and turned into about twenty or thirty flats, or half a dozen high end canal side properties thus valuing the site at over a million quid. If the building is listed stand by for a mysterious fire.

Sorry, to say but my words on a visit after The Nelson re-opened was also "I cannot see this lasting too long". Poor food, poor service, unable to pay on debit card. This really could be a great pub. I do hope it re-opens again with a landlord / landlady with some real common sense & flair.

All the flair and nouse in the world is useless without punters. The Nelson is a destination pub, i.e. you've got to know about it and be prepared to travel. A landlord with sufficient capital to see it through two or three years of trading at a significant loss whilst very slowly earning a reputation for excellence is what's needed. Probably around £250K minimum. Then if you do make a go of it the rent goes up.

Sounds good. I'll buy it, live there and in the summer cook good honest food. You (and whoever) bring your/their own drinks. No need for license.

Will the building cost more than sixpence? And no I'm not belittling your comment David. I do believe that could work.

Another thought of course is that complete refurbishment/demolish/rebuild is to take place. Investment with good manager/tenant in place upon completion.

Martyn

I believe it is listed Grade II, so (thank God) demolition is not an option.

Cynically, I would expect the site to be sold to a developer and turned into about twenty or thirty flats, or half a dozen high end canal side properties thus valuing the site at over a million quid. If the building is listed stand by for a mysterious fire.

All the flair and nouse in the world is useless without punters. The Nelson is a destination pub, i.e. you've got to know about it and be prepared to travel. A landlord with sufficient capital to see it through two or three years of trading at a significant loss whilst very slowly earning a reputation for excellence is what's needed. Probably around £250K minimum. Then if you do make a go of it the rent goes up.

Think that you need to be a little bit cautious about talking about 'mysterious fires'. From the photo it looks like the pubco who ever they are have finally resigned themselves to the fact that they are not going to make any money from it so have decided to close it on a permanent basis. Not a fan of PLC Pubcos myself but do support regional or local small Freehouse pubcos who are often family owned and brew their own beers. For a pub and any land with it to be turned into residential property and/or additional residentail developement it is required for it to be delicenced and a change of use obtained from the local authority planning department. Have not had the oportunity to visit the place sadly but judgeing from its location it would be deemed by the council as a loss to the community of an amenity. Planning could therefore be an issue for a developer. It is obviously a great shame that the place has not survived the recession. There are signs out there that some of the major PLC Pubcos have decided to sell off some of their redundant properties which at the end of the day will probably end up as residential. Time will tell. I like to see the canal side pubs and to loose any takes away from the general enjoyment of the overall experience for everyone. If the Nelso does get redeveloped in a major way I don't think we should complain too much, even though its loss is lamented, as there are over 5 million people who need housing in this country imo.