Best Boat Broker to sell yor boat?

mickeyduff

Featured Posts

A broker chips in:

Firstly, thank you to all of you for your kind comments. in turn, I must add a big thank you to Steve, who works at the office at Stowe Hill, and to Chris (and the Overwater Marina staff too) at Audlem in Cheshire. I value their input highly. So while I much appreciate the praise, they deserve it too.

Secondly, on the issue of handing over keys, I won't do that for two reasons. The first is obvious; the duty of care to the boat owner.The second is for the reason that we can show and explain things on a boat to prospective buyers. I think that is very important. We take time, and don't hustle people along. If there is an obvious interest after that, we do allow people some time on their own so that they do not feel pressured. This process does much to put the buyer at ease I think.

To the OP: I'd love to look over your boat. Let's have a no obligation chat tomorrow.

Dominic

A broker chips in:

Firstly, thank you to all of you for your kind comments. in turn, I must add a big thank you to Steve, who works at the office at Stowe Hill, and to Chris (and the Overwater Marina staff too) at Audlem in Cheshire. I value their input highly. So while I much appreciate the praise, they deserve it too.

Secondly, on the issue of handing over keys, I won't do that for two reasons. The first is obvious; the duty of care to the boat owner.The second is for the reason that we can show and explain things on a boat to prospective buyers. I think that is very important. We take time, and don't hustle people along. If there is an obvious interest after that, we do allow people some time on their own so that they do not feel pressured. This process does much to put the buyer at ease I think.

To the OP: I'd love to look over your boat. Let's have a no obligation chat tomorrow.

Dominic

Pathetic

• Greenie 1

One thing that Wiltons do (or they did when we were looking) is they pass you the keys and leave you to it. You can then crawl all over the boats to your hearts content. Not everybody likes this approach, we however appreciated it.

Yep as a buyer we liked this and ended up buying. Mostly I think because we were left to it and spent a while sat as a family with no sales man hovering over weighing up the pros and cons of the boat we ended up buying. The sales man we delt with was really nice to and understanding of our needs despite us shopping at the lower end of the market. We didn't feel like second rate customers. They also were really helpful with letting us stay at the marina for a week and sort out all the jobs that needed doing before we could set off. I'd use them again for buying, have no experience of selling... yet... :)

Many people contribute useful advice to this forum. This must be one of the most erudite and useful offerings I have ever read from an anonymous participant.

:)

Stop being so b____y polite Dom. a plonker is a plonker especialy one without the bottle to say who, where how old etc a bit like the balaclava syndrome........

Many people contribute useful advice to this forum. This must be one of the most erudite and useful offerings I have ever read from an anonymous participant.

It's a pattern - he (if he is a he) occasionally crawls out from whatever stone he lurks under lobs an insult at someone (I've been a recipient in the past) and then disappears back under it for a few days.....

It's a pattern - he (if he is a he) occasionally crawls out from whatever stone he lurks under lobs an insult at someone (I've been a recipient in the past) and then disappears back under it for a few days.....

I did wonder,it seemed a strange thing to say.

I did wonder,it seemed a strange thing to say.

It seems sometimes he climbs out from under his little stone more often than previously though...

Confirmed the stereotype, looking at your posts, thought you must be:

Ex public sector

Retired

Final salary pension scheme (index linked of course)

Right wing views

Lots of free time

Needs the board as a prop

Not sure what to do next

Charles

Charles - you need to redo your research you are so wrong on so much of the detail.

Edited by MJG

Don't let's beat about the bush, all brokers are in it for the money.

It's a valid point - perhaps it should be part of the New 'Big society' - boat brokers working for free, in fact why doesn't everybody go to work for nowt?

Don't let's beat about the bush, all brokers are in it for the money. If we could sell privately we would if we can't.....

I agree with this entirely. I looked on the Duck when I bought my boat, if the boat is priced correctly it will sell, its the same with houses, cars etc. The benefit however of using a broker is that many first time boat buyers feel safer using them and also can see several boats at one time more easily and the broker compiles a good sales leaflet and does all the advertising.

I agree with this entirely. I looked on the Duck when I bought my boat, if the boat is priced correctly it will sell, its the same with houses, cars etc. The benefit however of using a broker is that many first time boat buyers feel safer using them and also can see several boats at one time more easily and the broker compiles a good sales leaflet and does all the advertising.

And it saves people who live a long way from their boats having to travel to the boat every time someone wants to look at it.

And it saves people who live a long way from their boats having to travel to the boat every time someone wants to look at it.

Yes I agree, that is one of the main reasons why we sold the last boat through a broker.

From the various posts though it seems fairly obvious that some brokers have their target audience so perhaps that is worth considering. From my point of view though if I am selling it is getting the right price in a reasonable time is what does it for me. I also do not like the idea of hidden costs creeping in that you get from some brokers.

I bought my boat through the new and used boat co, reading branch, thames and kennet marina. The woman who showed me round was a part timer, really helpful and knowledgeable. Also very patient! The guy who showed me how it worked (who posts on here) gave me a steering lesson and was also really nice. He also pointed out my stern glad greaser, what it did and how to make sure it kept doing it, for which I'm very grateful. I might have found myself underwater if it wasn't for him :)

The other staff were a bit abrupt but perfectly fine imo. No snags.

Edited by deletedaccount

The reason I stated ABNB earlier on in the thread is that they have nice boats and very good description/floorplans on their website. Nothing more or less, I've had no dealings with them.

Other brokers should take note.

Edited by deletedaccount