Canal books for young children

RLWP

Featured Posts

I'm wondering if the forum can help me with this. My sister is a teacher in a primary school, and she is planning to do a piece of project work with her class around canals.

As a part of this she needs to find some story books that she can use. The children in her class are aged between six and eight.

Does anyone have any suggestions for suitable books?

Richard

I know it was books you were after Richard but some possibilities Here on the Waterscape t'interweb site - might be of some use... :unsure:

It links to This too..

woops - just seen Ray mentioned the WOW link too...

Edited by MJG

I'm wondering if the forum can help me with this. My sister is a teacher in a primary school, and she is planning to do a piece of project work with her class around canals.

As a part of this she needs to find some story books that she can use. The children in her class are aged between six and eight.

Richard

We have a substantial education resource section on the London Canal Museum Web site which details our work on key stages 1 - 4 and the relavent info is available for download.

It can be found at;

http://www.canalmuseum.org.uk/education/index2.htm

Hope this helps

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Richard

Both my wife and daughter (both primary teachers) found that the kids loved doing Roses and Castles type paintings. Yes, of course, they aren't up to the standard of Phil Speight but they just loved the bright colours and getting the stuff looking right. IIRC they based this activity on Anne Young's book:

Amazon link

Roger

Richard

Here's an option that's sadly now out of print eBay linky - got mine off eBay for 99p + P&P

Quite basic, but informative, as with any Ladybird Series - ideal for primary school use.

I have written a series of books ( not published ) about Henry the canal cat. They are about our old cat Henry an his adventures , the other animals he meets, his first day on our boat, his first lock ect there are also photos of Henry and his adventures. Any good ? Bunny.

Here's an option that's sadly now out of print eBay linky - got mine off eBay for 99p + P&P

Quite basic, but informative, as with any Ladybird Series - ideal for primary school use.

By co-incidence I spent time today sorting out my book collection and have just put a duplicate of this book in the charity shop pile, available for the price of postage.

Tim

By co-incidence I spent time today sorting out my book collection and have just put a duplicate of this book in the charity shop pile, available for the price of postage.

Tim

I'll have it Tim.

Richard

:smiley_offtopic:

I used to find the Ladybird book about the Motor Car was a great way of putting the basics into the head of IT contractors, until FWD, fuel injection, electronic ignition and so on made it obsolete

Edited by RLWP

I'll have it Tim.

Richard

:smiley_offtopic:

I used to find the Ladybird book about the Motor Car was a great way of putting the basics into the head of IT contractors, until FWD, fuel injection, electronic ignition and so on made it obsolete

Could you PM me your address

Tim

Richard

Hi Richard

Is something like this of any use? It's not a book but a cut out of a working boat. I have a couple of things.

Working Boat

Terence

Richard

My kids enjoyed the Joshua Jones books when they were younger, but they don't seem to be in print now, and Amazon and Ebay have drawn virtual blanks for second hand copies.

David

It doesn't appear to have been mentioned, but the Canals section http://www.canalarchive.org.uk/ of the Transport Archive http://www.transportarchive.org.uk/ has lots of resources, stories, machines etc. etc. - mainly around the history and construction of the Bridgewater and Manchester Ship canals - designed specifically for use in schools.

Edited to add:

The Foreword of Avril Lansdell's book Canal Arts and Crafts is available on Google books. It got some interesting information and nice pictures that might appeal to 6 -8 year olds.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=teo4L1PK8EYC&lpg=PA4&ots=d4kKGmZnUe&dq=canals%20narrowboat&lr&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q=canals%20narrowboat&f=false

Edited by Québec