The best shaped pointy-end for ice breaking?

Ange

Featured Posts

I do not know if I dreamt it but in times past did some working boats, maybe wooden ones, fit knife blades on the stem to assist through the ice?

I don't know about ice but, as Speedwheel's link shows, some fly boats (fast horse drawn passenger boats) had a blade mounted on the stem to cut the rope of any horse boat coming the other way that didn't give them priority and drop their rope.

Roger

I do not know if I dreamt it but in times past did some working boats, maybe wooden ones, fit knife blades on the stem to assist through the ice?

I think that was on Passenger Flybpats which had priority, and the knife was to cut the tow line of any boat that did not give way. Mind you I think I read that in one of Rolt's books, so there could have been a bit of speculative licence being used.

Have you moved yet, Ange? I wouldn't worry all that much about leaving your boat unattended in Lancaster for a few days if there's other liveaboards around - if you don't know them I could probably find out who they are for you. I've had relatively more (very minor, potential) problems in Galgate than Lancaster, the local yoofs do like to booze on the towpath there. Either way, I've left my boat in both places and it's been fine.

Have you moved yet, Ange?

Sadly, not.

Link to Ange's post in a parallel thread.

EDITED TO ADD:

For some reason that link is taking me to wrong post in thread, despite my checking it's the correct one. Not clever enough to work out what';s wrong, but I'm sure you get the drift......

Edited by alan_fincher

For some reason that link is taking me to wrong post in thread, despite my checking it's the correct one. Not clever enough to work out what';s wrong, but I'm sure you get the drift......

Not sure why the forum has suddenly started doing that - I've had the same issue recently....