BCN Challenge

dove

Featured Posts

Team Tawny Owl: (Including RLWP, Mrs Tawny Owl, Proper_Job, Stort Mark, Carlt, possible CreamCheese)

Team Black Beauty: Odana, Black Beauty

Laurie.Booth

Nine of Hearts (wooden spoon competitor)

Smelly and Bagpuss?

Dove?

John6767

TeeELL?

NB Indigo Dream: RichardN

Team Not Ling: Sarahavfc, FadeToScarlet, black ibis, dhutch

Is that right, any more?

Richard

Team Tawny Owl: (Including RLWP, Mrs Tawny Owl, Proper_Job, Stort Mark, Carlt, possible CreamCheese)

Laurie.Booth

Smelly and Bagpuss?

Dove?

John6767

TeeELL?

Is that right, any more?

Richard

Yes we're still going, and going for max points. 70' boat 3' draught 2 crew. plan made up (top secret of course)all we need now is some water in the bcn.

Andrew

Yes we're still going, and going for max points. 70' boat 3' draught 2 crew. plan made up (top secret of course)all we need now is some water in the bcn.

Andrew

Water? Tawny Owl doesn't need that stuff. As Steve said, she'll float on a damp flannel

Richard

Team Tawny Owl: RLWP, Mrs Tawny Owl, Proper_Job, Stort Mark, Carlt, bunch of geeks and tea ladies

Laurie.Booth

Smelly and Bagpuss?

Dove

John6767

TeeELL?

Is that right, any more?

Richard

Actually, tis Team Odana this year. Black Beauty's on a week off and the good ship Odana is back from Sheffield and keen to reacquaint herself with home waters. Crew is mainly Sheffieldish though, inc BeckyJC who occasionally pops into here, and Nathan (no idea of username here), plus assorted trained windlass-wielders and cooks. Look for the black boat with orange roof and the plates of cheese and tomato sandwiches.

Now, about these points... are the bonus ones definitely a multiplier, not additional to the lock miles for the section? I've found the paperwork at last so planning is just commencing in earnest.

There does appear to be a slight shortage of boats, im going to hold me hand up and say ive not helped this be being both very busy and disorganised recently, combined with the fact that although I debated entering emilyanne she is currently three days northwest of wolverhampton bottom lock, and down on power due to resolved engine work.

I would be very happy to crew a boat for the challenge weekend, and to move boats away the week/weekend following as i actually have time off then. If it help i would even try and crew a boat this weekend to get it there but certainly sadly cant do mid-week.

Daniel

Team Tawny Owl: RLWP, Mrs Tawny Owl, Proper_Job, Stort Mark, Carlt, bunch of geeks and tea ladies

Laurie.Booth

Smelly and Bagpuss?

Dove

John6767

TeeELL?

Is that right, any more?

Richard

Yes we will be there. We finally made it to Birmingham this weekend, 67 locks this weekend so getting into the swing! Passed Tawny Owl at the top of Hatton but she looked a bit empty. Met Capt Ahab on Sunday for lunch. He has entered and no doubt will blog about it here. I see he has musing been about sunseekers on nitrous oxide going down the new main line but I think / hope he is going round on Wand’ring Bark.

Now, about these points... are the bonus ones definitely a multiplier, not additional to the lock miles for the section? I've found the paperwork at last so planning is just commencing in earnest.

Yes the bonus points are definitely a multiplier on the points for that section. The Cats Planner will give the correct points values.

Edited by john6767

Yes the bonus points are definitely a multiplier on the points for that section. The Cats Planner will give the correct points values.

Nope. It doesn't seem to. Iaaaannnnnnn!!!! Help please.

Inserting a random stage - say Tame Vally Jct to newton Jct gives 3.5 miles, 0 locks, bonus factor of 3. Points calculated by catplan are 7. Then stage points of 21. Where do the 7 points come from, if the 21 is 3x 7? I would calculate that stage as (3.5+0) x 3 = 10.5. Newton Jct to Catshill Jct is 8 miles, 9 locks, Bonus factor 1. I calculate that as (8+9)x1=17. Catplan calculates it as 25 points.

Odana doesn't understand. Am I being led astray or just dim?

Oh, and (minor point) can the lock speed go under 8 mins? I calculated our 2009 route as taking 26 hours, which it definitely didn't or we wouldn't have had time for that leisurely dinner and 8 hour kip.

That is not how I am doing it with my mother of all spreadsheets, and I think "the cat" planner is agreeing with my calcs now, at least it does on my route.

So for Tame Valley Junction to Newton Junction 3.5 mile = 7 points, bonus factor is 3 therefore 21 points. Remember you get a point per half mile not per mile!

So similarly Newton Junction to Catshill Junction 8.0 miles, 9 locks = 25 points, ie the 8 miles gives 16 points at 1 point per half mile, plus one point per lock give 9 points, 16+9=25.

You can do a lock as fast as you like, but will it fill/empty that fast! This is not real life you know rolleyes.gif

Getting excited now though.......

So for Tame Valley Junction to Newton Junction 3.5 mile = 7 points, bonus factor is 3 therefore 21 points. Remember you get a point per half mile not per mile!So similarly Newton Junction to Catshill Junction 8.0 miles, 9 locks = 25 points, ie the 8 miles gives 16 points at 1 point per half mile, plus one point per lock give 9 points, 16+9=25.

Ahhh, THAT's where I'm going wrong. Must Read Instructions Properly

Thanks. Not that it'll change the route, but it's nice to be precise in these things...

So........

are we going to have any 'side' competitions?

•  
  • Best item of clothing found round the prop?
  • The Pope John Paul award for walking on water
  • Most breakdown/overheats for the weekend
  • Biggest catastrophe (running out of beer doesn't count - it's you own fault)

Suggestions?

Most lavish breakfast?

A showcasing of 'boat droppings' would be worthwhile. Most coconuts retrieved? Shall we have a separate points sheet for items found/foundered on?

Not sure it is really that much of a spectator sport, but the "finish line" is Walsall Town Arm. Finish is at 2:00PM on Sunday 29th, but you do not absolutely have to be there at that point (there are bonus point for doing thatt hough). So it is not necessarily going to be 50 or however many boats all racing up the arm, or perhaps it will be rolleyes.gif

I'm going to ask something really dumb here (possibly)....

I get the idea of the challenge, but is it something you can come along to "spectate" anywhere? A finish line of some sorts? :captain:

From the BCN Society web site.

Boats may start at any point on the BCN but should finish at Walsall Town Arm. - :unsure:

I like your question as you are right it would be good to go and see the boats passing and spectate and of course handicap certain teams by keeping them 'gassing' at locks and the like.

ETA John beat me to it.

Edited by MJG

From the BCN Society web site.

Boats may start at any point on the BCN but should finish at Walsall Town Arm. - :unsure:

I like your question as you are right it would be good to go and see the boats passing and spectate and of course handicap certain teams by keeping them 'gassing' at locks and the like.

ETA John beat me to it.

Oh no, if you meet any of the boats at locks, they're not wasting time "gassing" with you, you'll be handed a windlass and made to work!!

Note to self, Take extra windlasses, I've got 4, only another 7 or 8 needed :lol:

It would be nice to see even more cwdf members there, in addition to those on the boats competing, but be warned the pub at the basin ran out of beer last time I believe, I do hope they've been warned this year!

Sue

Oh no, if you meet any of the boats at locks, they're not wasting time "gassing" with you, you'll be handed a windlass and made to work!!

Note to self, Take extra windlasses, I've got 4, only another 7 or 8 needed :lol:

It would be nice to see even more cwdf members there, in addition to those on the boats competing, but be warned the pub at the basin ran out of beer last time I believe, I do hope they've been warned this year!

Sue

OOh Sue this paddle is really really stiff I can't move it, oh this gate just won't open at all...

Sue

Remember the rules though; the crew size is the maximum number of crew that you have an any point time. I suspect you are already at 6 though.

It does raise an interesting point , you are in a queue for a lock and some from another boat works one side of the lock, does that count as extra crew?

Remember the rules though; the crew size is the maximum number of crew that you have an any point time.

Oh look out - it's getting serious already....

<snip>

Sue

So that is the second part of the challenge; drink the pub dry

• Greenie 1