BCN Challenge

dove

Featured Posts

Any extra points for being over 37"?

...what about single handed? It could be almost worth me bringing Victoria up!

Mike

ps. Currently planning to join the YWBS lot if they'll let me!

Single handed gets 1 extra point per 2 locks

Over 37" draught gets 1.2 extra points per mile

And good luck

Andrew

So what you're saying is, my 14' grp with a draught of about 10" and 4 crew would be on a hiding to nothing before we started?!

Rob.

Just don't fight Tawny Owl for a lock and you're in with a chance

So........

From what I can make out, the CWDF boats taking part so far are:

•  
  • Tawny Owl
  • Odana
  • The Cat Who Walks.......
  • Elemiah
  • Indigo Dream
  • Firefly
  • Dove

Possibly, Daniel doing something with the YWBS

........any more?

Sounds like a mini banter in the basin at the end :cheers:

Ahem...

Tawny Owl's information pack is now here. I'm going to alert my tame geeks who will run the routes and points through their optimisation software*

Richard

*You think I'm joking, don't you

Tawny Owl's information pack is now here. I'm going to alert my tame geeks who will run the routes and points through their optimisation software*

Richard

If anybody else had said it - yes,

but...

If anybody else had said it - yes,

but...

I worked out the route with a map and a pencil last time, but they want to do something clever. As long as I get the final say and they turn up to work the locks and provide local colour by occasionally falling in, I'm not going to deny them their pleasure.

Richard

I worked out the route with a map and a pencil last time, but they want to do something clever. As long as I get the final say and they turn up to work the locks and provide local colour by occasionally falling in, I'm not going to deny them their pleasure.

Richard

Autoroute for the BCN - could be a market for it...

Autoroute for the BCN - could be a market for it...

Wordpress does not allow java on sites they host but I would love to be able to write something like this for our journeys:

http://www.thecatwhowalksbyhimself.co.uk/other/BCNchallenge/BCNchallenge.php

You obviously run the risk that if he can code something this well he no doubt has a filter in place to let him know of any really good ideas people come up with ....

Richard

Ours arrived today as well, not going to get much work done this afternoon.

Wordpress does not allow java on sites they host but I would love to be able to write something like this for our journeys:

http://www.thecatwhowalksbyhimself.co.uk/other/BCNchallenge/BCNchallenge.php

You obviously run the risk that if he can code something this well he no doubt has a filter in place to let him know of any really good ideas people come up with ....

Why does it take 6.5 hours to get up the 21?

Mike

The times are way over the top in "the cats..." tool. Perhaps that is just in the public version, you can't give too much away you know dry.gif

The word on the cut is that it really only took him 16 hours to get up the 21, not 6....

... if he can code something this well ...

Many thanks for the kind thoughts but if it was really clever the times would adjust depending on crew size. Which is probably why...

The times are way over the top in "the cats..." tool.

...as they were based on what I normally manage single-handing. I find that if I don't allow 30 minutes per mile and 20 minutes per lock, I usually end up arriving late. I might update it when I get my pack, as I've been told the bonus multiplier is wrong, too. There is no in-built subterfuge, I haven't a snowball's of winning and I only join in for the larf (and to get a nice plaque).

Many thanks for the kind thoughts but if it was really clever the times would adjust depending on crew size. Which is probably why...

...as they were based on what I normally manage single-handing. I find that if I don't allow 30 minutes per mile and 20 minutes per lock, I usually end up arriving late. I might update it when I get my pack, as I've been told the bonus multiplier is wrong, too. There is no in-built subterfuge, I haven't a snowball's of winning and I only join in for the larf (and to get a nice plaque).

Thanks for the explanation. Is a great piece of work by the way, no doubt I will be using over the next few days!

We will not be in the running to win this either, just want to take part now we have our own boat.

BTW, does anybody get sponsorship for charity in doing this, my wife suggested that we do, low key, people a work etc.

Thanks for the explanation. Is a great piece of work by the way, no doubt I will be using over the next few days!

We will not be in the running to win this either, just want to take part now we have our own boat.

BTW, does anybody get sponsorship for charity in doing this, my wife suggested that we do, low key, people a work etc.

Sue has been thinking along the same lines and I think she is going to have a chat about practicalities with one of the charities we support - We have been doing charity boat trips for http://www.greyhoundhomer.co.uk/ so we will have them as our charity and their funding has just been seriously cut so they need help. The charity trips have been great, it is a good excuse for us to go for a cruise, people seem to love the trips, we take no money, all goes direct to the charity, our insurers allow us to make 8 trips a year for no extra premium which is mighty generous of them. Oh and for the challenge we could cheat and use our small herd of greyhounds for hauling the boat though they might not understand the concept of tickover going past moored boats if they see a rabbit on the towpath.

You can't help it, once you get going.

Team Tawny Owl started out.... 'just for a laugh, have a few beers and a good weekend boating'

You get to a flight of locks and you just have to have a go.... how quick can we get up?????

The first time something got round the prop and stalled the engine, almost without and prompting, ropes were off and bow-hauling commenced.

Fantastic weather did make a big difference B)

I think we were as surprised as anyone when we found out that we came 2nd.

Trouble is...... Now the gauntlet seems to be well and truly thrown down :lol:

Best of luck to everyone

:cheers:

A chance for everyone to get their own back for my inaccurate planner by sending me into bandit country...

Trying to go for a change of scenery this year and come in from a different direction - does anyone know if there's any safe/pleasant overnight stopping places around Horseley Fields?

A chance for everyone to get their own back for my inaccurate planner by sending me into bandit country...

Trying to go for a change of scenery this year and come in from a different direction - does anyone know if there's any safe/pleasant overnight stopping places around Horseley Fields?

Top of the 21, or BCLM would be my choices.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Following on from the (constructive) criticism received and the fact that the rules have changed somewhat rendering the old planner obsolete - I've re-vamped it for 2011. You can now adjust your estimated speed and the length of time taken to negotiate a lock depending on whether you're a slacker or a speedy Gonzalez. The map has been simplified in a tube stylee and I've taken other opportunites to jazz it up as well. Because that's what I do. I have no friends...

New Improved BCN planner

You'll need a big screen to see it all, mind.

Following on from the (constructive) criticism received and the fact that the rules have changed somewhat rendering the old planner obsolete - I've re-vamped it for 2011. You can now adjust your estimated speed and the length of time taken to negotiate a lock depending on whether you're a slacker or a speedy Gonzalez. The map has been simplified in a tube stylee and I've taken other opportunites to jazz it up as well. Because that's what I do. I have no friends...

New Improved BCN planner

You'll need a big screen to see it all, mind.

Why can't I start at 8:00am?

Richard

Have I misread the rules