BCN Challenge

dove

Featured Posts

We have only done the challenge once (in 2009) but we had such a great time that we are going for it again this year. Anyone reading this who has not done the BCN Challenge before, then do really try to fit this event into your cruising plans. We thoroughly recommend it, we have worked next summer's cruise round being in Birmingham for the challenge. You may not win a prize but you will get to see all sorts of bits of the BCN that you would not otherwise, the BCN, especially the more obscure bits, is well worth a visit.

We look like having a full boat with heaven knows how many greyhounds on board. Sorry Proper Job / Tawny Owl but in the methane production contest assuming that the pub sells sausages then I suspect we will emerge clear winners.

Richard

nb Indigo Dream

:lol::lol::lol:

That's a competition that we're more than happy for you to win ;)

........ and I don't think Hairy Neil is with us this year :P

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have sent the form and cheque off, so looks like FIREFLY will be doing this. Not sure I know what I am getting my self into here though.

The info that I got from the BCNS, was that the entry packs should got out around the end of Feb.

• 1 month later...

Got the rules for this year, looks like we'll be off to a good start. With a point per foot of boat and extra points for deep draught (34" to 37")and only two of us means we get a bonus point every sixth lock. So watch out Tawny Owl. :lol:

Andrew

Got the rules for this year, looks like we'll be off to a good start. With a point per foot of boat and extra points for deep draught (34" to 37")and only two of us means we get a bonus point every sixth lock. So watch out Tawny Owl. :lol:

Andrew

34" draft? We're going to need more ballast

Richard

Sorry to spoil the plan, they check at the end.

Andrew

As long as you....

Edited to add: Well I bottled out of finishing this post, in the interests of avoiding gross toilet humour.

Edited by carlt

As long as you....

Edited to add: Well I bottled out of finishing this post, in the interests of avoiding gross toilet humour.

Feel free Carl. Tawny Owl has the advantage of two large pump-out tanks.

Richard

So........

From what I can make out, the CWDF boats taking part so far are:

•  
  • Tawny Owl
  • Odana
  • The Cat Who Walks.......
  • Elemiah
  • Indigo Dream
  • Firefly
  • Dove

Possibly, Daniel doing something with the YWBS

........any more?

Sounds like a mini banter in the basin at the end :cheers:

Copied below are the details,

Andrew

BCNS MARATHON CHALLENGE 2011

Boat Entry Form

The BCN Challenge will take place on Saturday 28th and Sunday 29th May 2011, starting at 8am on

Saturday and finishing at 2pm on the Sunday. The event is open to everyone with a boat licensed for

use on British Waterways canals. Historic working boats and pairs are welcome.

Boats may start at any point on the BCN but should finish at Walsall Town Arm. (See rules for further details) Participants may navigate for as long as they like during the 30 hour period up to a maximum of 24 hours.

The winner will be the boat crew who amass the greatest number of points during the challenge.

Additional points will be awarded for navigating lesser used waterways and there will be bonus points

for correctly answered questions at certain places.

All boat entries will receive a commemorative plaque and the winning boat crew will also receive a shield.

The winners will be announced at the Canal Festival, Pelsall on Saturday 11th June 2011.

There will be an entry fee of £15 per boat which includes the commemorative plaque.

The entry fee for a working pair will also be £15.

The entry fee will include 12 months membership of the BCNS for those entrants who have never been members of the Society. (Applies to team leader only)

Please send completed application forms, together with the entry fee to:

Mr R Kenn, 14 Hollemeadow Avenue, Walsall, West Midlands, WS3 1JQ. Telephone: 01922 428644

You will then be sent the Entry Pack which includes route planning sheets, the rules of the Marathon Challenge and a sealed envelope containing the cruising log for use during the challenge.

Entry Details

Boat Name(s) & BW No.(s): Length (ft):

Team Leader:

Address:

Post Code: Telephone:

Mobile Phone (Mandatory):

____________________________________________________________________________________

BCNS Use Only:

Entry Fee Received on: Amount: £

Entry Pack Sent on (Date):

Is it ok to use a hire boat for the weekend?

So........

From what I can make out, the CWDF boats taking part so far are:

•  
  • Tawny Owl
  • Odana
  • The Cat Who Walks.......
  • Elemiah
  • Indigo Dream
  • Firefly
  • Dove

Possibly, Daniel doing something with the YWBS

........any more?

Sounds like a mini banter in the basin at the end :cheers:

Captain Ahab on Wand'ring Bark is also up for it - he has made a blog comment to that effect, not sure if he ever posts here but judging from some of the writings on his blog he may be a bit good at the tricky tie-breaky questions.

For those not in the know, the BCN challenge is a wonderful event. You get to cruise bits of Birmingham you would not dream of doing and to be honest it is great. Find out about the challenge and come along. Who knows you may win the challenge but even if you don't simply taking part is so good.

(2 edits on account of some funny black stuff that I was forced to drink on my way home)

Edited by RichardN

extra points for deep draught (34" to 37")and only two of us

Any extra points for being over 37"?

...what about single handed? It could be almost worth me bringing Victoria up!

Mike

ps. Currently planning to join the YWBS lot if they'll let me!

Mike

What do the YWBS lot have planned? Still waiting to hear on the grapevine!

Mike

You get an extra treat for being over 37" draught. Tawny Owl had to ram a boat through a bridge last year because it was firmly aground. Get stuck and you get intimate with our button fender

Richard

Not got the pack yet but notice that the cheque has been cashed.

If you have not seen it yet, take a look at the report from the 2009 winner and see what the sneaky so so did, would not have thought of that.

I hadn't seen that report, and they weren't at the presentation.

We did indeed turn in Typhoo basin before the start. We did the Camp Hill flight, Warwick Bar, Typhoo basin and the Garrison flight as a sightseeing trip before we started the challenge...

We were also the boat going into Bradley when they were coming out

Richard

Edited by RLWP

I hadn't seen that report, and they weren't at the presentation.

We did indeed turn in Typhoo basin before the start. We did the Camp Hill flight, Warwick Bar, Typhoo basin and the Garrison flight as a sightseeing trip before we started the challenge...

Richard

Show off rolleyes.gif