BCN Challenge

dove

Featured Posts

Can I have another four pirates in my crew please?

Richard

You can have as many as you like, but the points stay the same after 6 so that's all the display goes up to. I had hoped you'd compliment me on how well I'd captured the silhouettes of Hairy Neil and Proper Job.

You can have as many as you like, but the points stay the same after 6 so that's all the display goes up to. I had hoped you'd compliment me on how well I'd captured the silhouettes of Hairy Neil and Proper Job.

Indeed, but I'd like to see the whole of my (excessive) crew in all their glory

Richard

Who am I kidding, I'm just trying to pick an outfit

MORE:

IIRC (and I probably don't) there are bonuses for starting in certain places. Have you got that worked in as well?

Richard

Edited by RLWP

IIRC (and I probably don't) there are bonuses for starting in certain places. Have you got that worked in as well?

Oh yes - apart from Longwood Boat Club. That's half way up a stage so it doesn't have a corresponding start point as my map only allows for whole stages. I had to draw the line somewhere.

Oy.........

I resemble that comment ;)

:lol:

Looks great.

Plotting our proposed course it ties in with my figures for (planning sheet) miles and numbers of locks, but you get a very different number of points to my spreadsheet. I better go and check my calculations.

Edited to add; are you certain you are dealing with bonus point correctly, or is it my interpretation that is wrong.

Perhaps this i_sum_pts = i_sum_pts + (i_stge_pts[i_itin_stge[i_idx]] + i_stge_bns[i_itin_stge[i_idx]]); rolleyes.gif

Edited by john6767

Perhaps this i_sum_pts = i_sum_pts + (i_stge_pts[i_itin_stge[i_idx]] + i_stge_bns[i_itin_stge[i_idx]]);

Two versions ago, that's what that line looked like. However, consensus of opinion seemed to be that the bonus was a multiplier. Revisiting the log, I thought this made sense as every stage has at least a bonus of 1. Except for the non-navigable bits, and having a zero multiplier for those agrees with the maths as then you get no points no matter how many miles or locks you do up them.

That is what I saw yesterday from viewing the source of the page.

That was my point, the bonus is a multiplier, I actually emailed the organisers to check that was actually the case and it is. What I think I am seeing on yours is the bonus being added to the stage points, not multiplying it.

As a really simple example start a Rotton Park and go to Winson Green, on yours that is giving 3 points, where I believe it should just be 2 points, ie 1 mile = 2 points, multiplier 1, total 2.

Am I getting this wrong?

I love it! Spent far too much time today floating my virtual boat around the BCN :) I reckon there could be a market for a computer game based on something like this!

However, could you explain how points are worked out, please? I've been teaching Year 8 set 4 maths this year and I think they've got to me :lol:

We were hoping to enter the challenge this year but circs seem to be against us, ie

1) We haven't quite bought the boat yet.

2) Said boat is on the Llangollen, pointing uphill.

3) One has, alas, to work for a living in order to support boat buying, beer drinking and steam engineing habits. And,

4) We live on the Isle of Wight.

Perhaps next year..............?

SAM

Ryde

IOW

BTW Has anyone else discovered Tesco's American Double IPA? It's brewed by Brewdog, a tweak on their 'Paradox' apparently. It's the nicest bottled beer I have come across in a long time :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Following on from the (constructive) criticism received and the fact that the rules have changed somewhat rendering the old planner obsolete - I've re-vamped it for 2011. You can now adjust your estimated speed and the length of time taken to negotiate a lock depending on whether you're a slacker or a speedy Gonzalez. The map has been simplified in a tube stylee and I've taken other opportunites to jazz it up as well. Because that's what I do. I have no friends...

New Improved BCN planner

You'll need a big screen to see it all, mind.

Hang on, I've sussed you little plan. You're capturing all of the various attempts by people to plan routes, then running that through some heuristic optimisation software

Richard

Incidentally, what time is 12:60?

Incidentally, what time is 12:60?

It's 60 minutes after 12, but still leaves you time for a sandwich before your 1 o'clock appointment.

Actually, that's probably a "feature" of javascript doing all its maths in binary (which I haven't trapped sufficiently well). I also encountered the phenomenum where you add 0.1 to 1 and get 1.1. You add another 0.1 and get 1.2. The next gives you 1.3000001. That made me say: "Heavens, this make it problematic to code". Or something like that...

Right then,

Geeks have been assembled and planning has taken place.

Pre BCN positioning move planned and volunteers assigned the job.

Route is planned, we start at 8am on the BCN on Saturday morning after collecting crew from the arranged secret rendesvous.

We finish at 2pm on Sunday at Walsall Basin. This is important or we'd be in the wrong pub.

Major complications have arisen and will need careful consideration, we may have to consider borrowing a butty to carry the extra fridge to keep the ingredients for the full english cooked breakfast in, or we could just have cereals.

The catering team are on the case and rest assured team members, you will be fed.

Really looking forward to it now.

Sue

Best of luck to everyone

:cheers:

We don't really mean "Best of luck" though.

Really looking forward to it now.

Sue

I offered to help move TO one way or the other..... all sorted now?

Edited by stort_mark

Yes a good one, did you get the message?

Sue

Yes. Just replied too.

Seems we have a "cunning plan". The torpedos are a cracking suggestions. And the ramming bar attached to the pointy bit.

Seems that the main opposition is the cat who walks by himself again. We will fart in their general direction.

Edited by stort_mark

What, no-one told me!

Do we need a plan?

Richard

Don't you worry about a thing, cap'n. Just do as your crew tell you, and don't ram the black and orange boat or you'll break the Lapworth Egg.

Don't you worry about a thing, cap'n. Just do as your crew tell you, and don't ram the black and orange boat or you'll break the Lapworth Egg.

Oh no, we haven't got to navigate around you two again, have we?

Richard

Us five/six, this time. John'll be off chaperoning his son's stag weekend, so I've hired in younger more competitive crew. More food, more drink, more locks, less sleep. If only I could find my points sheet in the decorating chaos that is my boat at the moment, I'd make a Plan too.

Anyone have a scanned copy of the rules they want to send me?