Anyone NOT frozen in?

Bodkin

Featured Posts

I'm genuinely not sure that is my experience.

There is quite a small covering on the cut where we moor, (or at least there was yesterday!), and the boat that broke it broke it across most of the width of the canal. I'd say it was 1 to 2 cms thick.

I tend to think that when it gets to the type of thickness Sarah's pictures show, you sometimes tend more just to break your own channel, without it giving for yards and yards each side.

Also it's possible that Chertsey's very "bow high" empty Woolwich stance produces a completely different breaking pattern to a boat that is much more level in the water. It's possible it is actually bearing down on some of it, to the point it is passing underneath, initially, at least, rather than the whole lot having to be displaced sideways.

(Or, maybe not, of course!)

I tried to find Derek Reynold's pictures of the BW tug/icebreaker "Snowdrop" breaking ice, for comparison, but Derek's links unfortunately are now showing as "image not found".

On Saturday I was watching videos of Alton doing pretty much the same as Chertsey. Tawny Owl does the same on 10mm ice, so what's the magic formula for boat-cutter ice sheets?

Richard

I notice that Chertsey is breaking the ice off in small sheets. Not pushing large, razor sharp plates across the cut to shear other boats in two.

This is how I've observed ice being broken before, generally by the boat climbing and breaking the ice sheet ahead of the boat. Of course, when the ice is thinner, and nearer to the mythical boat cutter size, the effect is even more localised with much smaller bits of ice

Richard

Although I did give plastic boats a wide berth, I think you're right; I never noticed large sheets of ice being forced into any of the boats we passed. However, at one point we did drive a big piece hard into the bank. It was quite unpredictable, especially where the ice had been broken and refrozen in double thickness. At the sort of thickness where it would have the strength to do damage rather than itself shattering, ice would be a rather blunt instrument; but I would still be extra careful near fragile looking boats. A solid GRP or wooden boat in good condition would be pretty safe though I should think.

Like the author of this document, maybe! :wacko:

My link

Somehow I suspect that relates to rather more extreme and sustained conditions than your average English canal.

Edited by Chertsey

Although I did give plastic boats a wide berth, I think you're right; I never noticed large sheets of ice being forced into any of the boats we passed. However, at one point we did drive a big piece hard into the bank. It was quite unpredictable, especially where the ice had been broken and refrozen in double thickness. At the sort of thickness where it would have the strength to do damage rather than itself shattering, ice would be a rather blunt instrument; but I would still be extra careful near fragile looking boats. A solid GRP or wooden boat in good condition would be pretty safe though I should think.

Somehow I suspect that relates to rather more extreme and sustained conditions than your average English canal.

Our recent weather conditions, are hardly average!

As my initial comment suggested, but sadly, misconstrued by some, better to be safe than sorry!

Last January, we ventured along the Coventry Canal in an attempt to get back up north to our home marina. Wrongly believing that the ice had thawed, we cruised further until we came across ice near Hems Heath on the Trent & Mersey, that was 3 inches thick. As we were between towns, we continued knowing that a Motor & Butty had gone before us, some hours previously.

During the course of our journey, we passed various boats, some made of plastic. Even though we slowed down to minimise any potential damage, the sound of and effect of the ice upon the 'lighter' plastic boats was marked, as opposed to that on the heavier steel hulled narrow boats.

For us to plough on regardlessly, and risk damaging the GRP craft, would have been negligent.

Mike

Edited by Doorman

Our recent weather conditions, are hardly average!

As my initial comment suggested, but sadly, misconstrued by some, better to be safe than sorry!

Last January, we ventured along the Coventry Canal in an attempt to get back up north to our home marina. Wrongly believing that the ice had thawed, we cruised further until we came across ice near Hems Heath on the Trent & Mersey, that was 3 inches thick. As we were between towns, we continued knowing that a Motor & Butty had gone before us, some hours previously.

During the course of our journey, we passed various boats, some made of plastic. Even though we slowed down to minimise any potential damage, the sound of and effect of the ice upon the 'lighter' plastic boats was marked, as opposed to that on the heavier steel hulled narrow boats.

For us to plough on regardlessly, and risk damaging the GRP craft, would have been negligent.

Mike

Crushing rather than cutting being the greater risk, from the sound of it.

Most plastic boats were never designed for the canals, but for the rather different stresses and conditions of rivers or the sea.

ed. to add - surely you weren't breaking 3" thick ice?

Edited by Chertsey

Crushing rather than cutting being the greater risk, from the sound of it.

Most plastic boats were never designed for the canals, but for the rather different stresses and conditions of rivers or the sea.

ed. to add - surely you weren't breaking 3" thick ice?

Precisely!

Breaking no, the Motor & Butty appeared to have done that for us. We were simply following their channel made previously. At one point though, the hull of our boat rose out of the water until the weight eventually collapsed the thick ice beneath it. An experience we would not wish to repeat! Had we not been in open countryside, we would not have been so foolhardy.

My boat is at Mercia Marina but is avin the engine replaced so I have not bothered to go up, anyone there? and if so whats the marina like, iced up or ok?

Tis a real bugger cos there is no heating on it and I a worried about the cold but I did part winterise it.

I will go up Saturday cos I am snowed in at home, hopefully it will clear. Any piccies of Moorhen pontoon would be great.

Hope you guys are all warm, cosy or imbibing in warming drink!

That's some hard s**t

I'll get me coat

Edit: Forgot to log Smelly out again, Bagpuss

Sorted on Monday :P

Paths and back deck cleared of snow this morning and so hopefully not too slippery. Still toasty warm although I have heard of an increase of coal and wood thefts from boats in some areas so try and stash your stuff as securely as possible.

Hope everyone else is doing ok and not running out of water or running out of room in a holding tank or somewhere to empty a thawed out cassette.

Don't forget either to be careful out there after drinking a few beers in the pub and walking down the towpath in the dark. We always lose a few of our number each year when it's cold and icy through tragic slips and falls. Once in the water it can be very difficult to get out before the cold gets you.

Stay safe and stay warm.

D

Love all of your photos and reading of you experiences in a boating environment totally alien to any of our experiences. Here currently 22deg daytime 14deg nights. Off on a 116year old yacht to a classic boat races and overnight end of year BBQ weekend on Saturday. Will probably avoid the snoring chorus below by sleeping on deck.

Seasons Greetings from Auckland

Don & Val

Edited by DandV

"yawns" on and on and on :banghead:

Sorry, what was wrong with Phylis's response then? I thought it was pretty spot on in the context of what I'd posted - that maybe all these razor-sharp boat-slicing sheets of ice are really just in the imagination of some boaters

Richard

Sorry, what was wrong with Phylis's response then? I thought it was pretty spot on in the context of what I'd posted - that maybe all these razor-sharp boat-slicing sheets of ice are really just in the imagination of some boaters

Richard

hit it hard enough, or at an awkward angle, it will damage your boat, especially a plastic one

hit it hard enough, or at an awkward angle, it will damage your boat, especially a plastic one

What will? How big a sheet? How thick?

I suppose I'm just sceptical because, although it's an attractive scare story, I'm not finding a queue of people saying that it's happened to them.

Richard

"yawns" on and on and on :banghead:

And I think you were really out to make a general anti-phylis point because you could, rather than make a relevant comment about ice

I suppose I'm just sceptical because, although it's an attractive scare story, I'm not finding a queue of people saying that it's happened to them.

Richard

And I think you were really out to make a general anti-phylis point because you could, rather than make a relevant comment about ice

ok, no prob B)

I too would be interested in seeing the evidence of just how many boats, of what sort, have been damaged and how by other boats breaking ice on British canals. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but so far all we have is urban (rural?) myth. Where are the examples please? How common is it and how is it best avoided? That's what we need to know, not scare stories.

One of my friends mates mates had his plastic bote cut clean in half by someone cruising past in the ice, it went all the way through the middle and the only reason he is alive is because he was bending down to pick something up.and the ice went right over his head.

True story.

I know of a few wooden boats, that were inadequately protected, damaged by ice and I see no reason to disbelieve David Schweizer's account of the splitter, that got split, at, iirc, Hillmorton.

Not on the canals but I've seen a picture of the grp boat, sliced in two, by ice coming downstream, from Snape to Slaughden, on the Alde, that prompted the boatyards there to remove all boats, every October, and store them on the hard, until spring.

The boatyard owner showed me the picture just after telling me that they couldn't lift my lifeboat out, for the winter, so it would have to take its chances.

Edited by carlt
  • Greenie 1

I know of a few wooden boats, that were inadequately protected, damaged by ice . . . .

If you Google “boats damaged by ice” you'll find an account of a poor bloke whose boat was struck by a lump of frozen sewage (“blue ice”) dropped from a passing plane. :PClick

One of my friends mates mates had his plastic bote cut clean in half by someone cruising past in the ice, it went all the way through the middle and the only reason he is alive is because he was bending down to pick something up.and the ice went right over his head.

True story.

Gosh. That must have been a deep drafted boat. Which canal did it happen on? ;)