Anyone NOT frozen in?

Bodkin

Featured Posts

Went to the marina today and noticed an interesting phenomena, Boats that were hooked up to the mains and had heating on them there was about 1/2 inch of water around the hull.

Those which were not hooked up and presumably had no heating were frozen in right up to the hull.

Same in our marina. It was quite novel to find we were floating on liquid water. It did freeze upto the hull over night on saturday but very quickly melted yesterday to leave NC floating again.

Same in our marina. It was quite novel to find we were floating on liquid water. It did freeze upto the hull over night on saturday but very quickly melted yesterday to leave NC floating again.

May not be the cause and effect or hook up = heating = no snow. Might it be that the boats that are hooked up are the ones that are more frequently occupied? When we leave our boat with heating on we still get iced in, same thing overnight when we're asleep. As soon as we get up and start moving around the ice round the boat cracks and we're free. (Only when the ice is fairly thin of course).

May not be the cause and effect or hook up = heating = no snow. Might it be that the boats that are hooked up are the ones that are more frequently occupied? When we leave our boat with heating on we still get iced in, same thing overnight when we're asleep. As soon as we get up and start moving around the ice round the boat cracks and we're free. (Only when the ice is fairly thin of course).

We still had a good thick blanket of snow on the boat despite the heating. If anything i would say it helped keep the temperature up a little in the cabin area. It was suprisingly warm when we arrived. The engine bay heater had gone into over drive though and the engine bay was 15 degrees. Still at least it hadnt frozen anything at that temperature. :blink:

Not long to wait now ...

Hundreds of barges stuck in ice in Staffordshire

Boat owner Michael Lee said he was carrying six buckets of water a day to his boat because of frozen water pipes.

December 2010 Last updated at 21:13 BBC News and video

More than 350 narrow boats are stuck in the ice at a Staffordshire marina. The boats, moored at Barton Marina, near Burton-upon-Trent, have been stuck for days as temperatures have largely remained below freezing. It means boats temporarily moored at the site have been unable to move, while permanent residents have faced problems such as frozen tap water. Marina staff said the ice also brought safety concerns and that people should be careful. About 100 people live on house boats at the site, while others take up long-term and short-term moorings.

Narrow boat owner Michael Lee said the piping system under the pontoon had frozen solid and people were having to carry buckets of water from the marina office. Mr Lee said he was carrying six buckets a day back to his boat. Caroline Kerr, of the Barton Marina management team, said walking on the iced-up jetties raised safety concerns. "All the boats are iced up so people can slip getting on and off the boats," she added. She said managers were making sure retired people living on the boats were keeping safe in the cold weather.

Even more slow news!

dscf4474ml.jpg

I knew I shouldn't have bought those Glacier mints :wacko:

dscf4476o.jpg

Zoom in to see the effect of the frozen ice around this water point.

dscf4467.jpg

In the distance, you can just see a narrow boat that's moored along the frozen canal :o . At least we have services close to hand.

Edited by Doorman

In the distance, you can just see a narrow boat that's moored along the frozen canal :o . At least we have services close to hand.

There's no one on that boat at least. I can see that boat from mine it's about 300 yards up the canal from me. I'm hoping for a thaw so I cn chug off soon..

Casp'

Even more slow news!

Indeed, particularly for anybody on a slow Internet connection.

I suspect there is more than 5 megabytes of images in that post.

Worth making them a bit smaller before posting, for those not on Broadband.

Hi Casp,

We thought you'd abandoned ship and gone home! We see Casper every time we drive across the

bridge on our way to Nantwich. How are you coping?

Mike

Indeed, particularly for anybody on a slow Internet connection.

I suspect there is more than 5 megabytes of images in that post.

Worth making them a bit smaller before posting, for those not on Broadband.

Good point! I'll try and resize, but please bear in mind, you're dealing with a computer nerd here :wacko:

Good point! I'll try and resize, but please bear in mind, you're dealing with a computer nerd here :wacko:

The crop and export functions in Picasa from Google make this a doddle.

Sad news and a warning about unattended fires on board ...

WD3856199CANAL-TS-08.jpg

Big freeze keeps its grip on Midlands

Wednesday 8th December 2010, 11:30AM GMT. For full article Express and Star

Schools remained closed and homes have flooded as the big freeze continues to wreak havoc across the West Midlands. Temperatures plunged to between -4C (24F) and -10C (14F) across the region overnight. And the cold spell is set to continue with temperatures struggling to get above freezing today before plunging to -4C (24F) again overnight.

In Stourton, near Stourbridge, a wood burner left on to keep a narrowboat on Greensforge Wharf keep warm while its owners were out sparked a severe blaze yesterday morning which totally gutted the craft. Watch manager Lee Smart, of Kinver Fire Station, said a wood burner caused other combustible materials on the boat to catch fire.

In Stourton, near Stourbridge, a wood burner left on to keep a narrowboat on Greensforge Wharf keep warm while its owners were out sparked a severe blaze yesterday morning which totally gutted the craft. Watch manager Lee Smart, of Kinver Fire Station, said a wood burner caused other combustible materials on the boat to catch fire.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels sick hearing that. Thank goodness no one was hurt, how sad for the people who own the boat.

Smoke alarm checks all round!

Smoke alarm checks all round!

surely in the case described though - about as much use as a chocolate tea-pot??

If nobody on board I'm not sure what difference a smoke alarm would have made... :unsure:

I've been to check my boat today and the floating pontoons and the boat were totally rock solid

It felt very strange to get on my boat and not feel it move underneath me

Im not suprised. I have been speaking to one of the residents today and she says it didnt get above -7 all day yesterday :blink:

Our Moorings Co-ordinator sent an e-mail yesterday advising people to check their boats, brush the snow off canopies, and top up electricity because some canopies were beginning to stretch under the weight of snow and ice. When I got there this morning someone had done it for me - that's neighbourliness for you and I'm chuffed.

surely in the case described though - about as much use as a chocolate tea-pot??

If nobody on board I'm not sure what difference a smoke alarm would have made... :unsure:

Well obviously if no one's there to hear it it means nothing. My point was that leaving a stove on when you're not watching it like a hawk has risks. I don't know why the fire in that article started, but I do know that one day I might be the unlucky one.*

If my boat burns while I'm at work I lose possessions. If a fire starts while I'm asleep I have a problem. Scary. My smoke alarm is a precious possession.

*Before anyone starts, I have taken the precautions I can, and for all I know the people in this boat might have been lazy/complacent/incompetent, but I can't be 100% certain that some fluke or unforeseen occurence won't cause a fire in my boat one day.

Cheers, but be patient, I've only just learnt how to upload the photo's. Audlem wasn't built in a day :P

Nice photos of Overwater and surroundings. Is the boat moored on the main line the one that's been around there all summer? Wizard, or Merlin or something similar from Whixall. I've never seen anyone at that boat although it does move about a bit sometimes.

Nice photos of Overwater and surroundings. Is the boat moored on the main line the one that's been around there all summer? Wizard, or Merlin or something similar from Whixall. I've never seen anyone at that boat although it does move about a bit sometimes.

Hi John,

Edited this post as I mis-read your question.

Not sure what the boat's called, but we too have noticed it up and down this stretch.

This next picture is a bit of self indulgence. Returning back to the boat this evening, after a great game of pool in the Shroppie Fly with a fellow moorer, I couldn't resist a shot of the sunset. The Christmas lights in the foreground are on our boat. Fortunately, we've never grown up! :P

dscf4479u.jpg

Just noticed your boat name! Aren't you usually moored up near Hurleston Junction. And does your boat have a picture of a Heron painted on the side by Steve at Aqueduct Marina?

Mike

Edited by Doorman

I can't see your image Doorman - it just says "posted image"

Edit to say - yes I can - it just took a long time to open up because it's enormous

Edited by Bazza2

I can't see your image Doorman - it just says "posted image"

Edit to say - yes I can - it just took a long time to open up because it's enormous

It's a pity my brain isn't the same size, otherwise I'd figure out how to re-size and prevent the thread from slowing down :wacko:

My daughter took these today whilst we were checking m'boat

IMG00035-20101208-1243.jpg

M'boat showing how somebody has very kindly brushed the snow off my canopy for me

IMG00036-20101208-1245.jpg

view across to the pontoon opposite

This time last week there was a thin film of slush on the water - this week the ice is at least a couple of inches thick and the boat is locked in solid