can anyone be a boat safety inspector???

jaque

Featured Posts

i was horrified to read on one of the forums that a somewhat dubious character was boasting about training to be a Boat Safety Inspector. This person in question is well known to me and several other Boaters... a boat he was working on lately failed ALL aspects of Boat Safety due to highly dangerous electrical work, dangerous diesel installation etc etc which had been put in by this fella...there where a lot more 'iffy' things going on with him as well, but I realise this isn't the place to air them....what I'm more concerned about is..how on earth is someone like this able to train as an Inspector???? Is it all down to anyone can do it providing they have the fees?? I have always felt totally safe when using a Boat Inspector..believing my boat to be SAFE! Now I'm not so sure....What are the guidelines....are we presuming that anyone, regardless of their previous and apparently present activities can be given a certificate allowing them to put someones life at risk? You may think I'm being over-reacting...but I have seen this fella's work on said boat and quite frankly it was scarey. Whats does everyone else think?

...One very worried Boater...

i was horrified to read on one of the forums that a somewhat dubious character was boasting about training to be a Boat Safety Inspector. This person in question is well known to me and several other Boaters... a boat he was working on lately failed ALL aspects of Boat Safety due to highly dangerous electrical work, dangerous diesel installation etc etc which had been put in by this fella...there where a lot more 'iffy' things going on with him as well, but I realise this isn't the place to air them....what I'm more concerned about is..how on earth is someone like this able to train as an Inspector???? Is it all down to anyone can do it providing they have the fees?? I have always felt totally safe when using a Boat Inspector..believing my boat to be SAFE! Now I'm not so sure....What are the guidelines....are we presuming that anyone, regardless of their previous and apparently present activities can be given a certificate allowing them to put someones life at risk? You may think I'm being over-reacting...but I have seen this fella's work on said boat and quite frankly it was scarey. Whats does everyone else think?

I guess a driving test tester (!!!!!) can speed, not look in his mirror forget to signal when not testing. So guess no different for a Boat Inspector

Simple answer is that provided you can pay the fee anybody can be a BSS examiner. When I was on the Broads and the BSS was brought about 4 years ago, there were BSS examiners at every turn, once the initial rush was over they all but disappeared.

Phil

Simple answer is that provided you can pay the fee anybody can be a BSS examiner. When I was on the Broads and the BSS was brought about 4 years ago, there were BSS examiners at every turn, once the initial rush was over they all but disappeared.

Phil

And didn't some of them know how to charge in the very early days. I spent more on my first BSS inspection than I have in total since.

I would take comfort from the fact that somebody who has done a fair bit of bodging but also or now understands BSS standards will have the ability to spot a bodge and give advice from their more recent knowledge.

Somebody has posted an analogy regarding driving testers and it is a truism that most of us know how to drive better or as would pass a test but do not.

I have advised a few people on what I understand to be how things should be to earn a BSC. They are often not bothered as it passed last time or might get through again. I am often reluctant to help people out by doing a bodge but if you explain the difference it is their choice.

Was he actually in the process of being trained or boasting about WANTING to be trained?

Have a peek at THIS DOCUMENT If this guy is as inept as you think he is, I doubt that he'll bother after what looks like quite thorough training/assessment. Does he have the background and the funds to see this through?

Was he actually in the process of being trained or boasting about WANTING to be trained?

Have a peek at THIS DOCUMENT If this guy is as inept as you think he is, I doubt that he'll bother after what looks like quite thorough training/assessment. Does he have the background and the funds to see this through?

He's a liveaboard and at the mo on the Trent & Mersey. he often frequents the shropshire union and Llangollen canal. He was actually saying he's in the mid of a course. I must add...he actually left this person in the lurch...one of those..takes the money and run characters and whilst he runs takes a hell of a lot more too!! Quite frankly, I can only imagine from what I know of him, is that he's doing this so's he can put himself forward to rectify failed bits of the test...if you get my drift...he has ill-gotten funds for this:-(

He's a liveaboard and at the mo on the Trent & Mersey. he often frequents the shropshire union and Llangollen canal. He was actually saying he's in the mid of a course. I must add...he actually left this person in the lurch...one of those..takes the money and run characters and whilst he runs takes a hell of a lot more too!! Quite frankly, I can only imagine from what I know of him, is that he's doing this so's he can put himself forward to rectify failed bits of the test...if you get my drift...he has ill-gotten funds for this:-(

I suppose the answer is - any boater can fib that he's training to be a BSS inspector but it's up to the boaters who plan to employ him to check up and find out if he really is qualified. I wouldn't use anyone that wasn't qualified or didn't come with a reccommendation from someone else, it's too risky. Theres quite a few chancers and confidence tricksters on the canals and too many trusting people who fall for it.

I suppose the answer is - any boater can fib that he's training to be a BSS inspector but it's up to the boaters who plan to employ him to check up and find out if he really is qualified. I wouldn't use anyone that wasn't qualified or didn't come with a reccommendation from someone else, it's too risky. Theres quite a few chancers and confidence tricksters on the canals and too many trusting people who fall for it.

In theory, for a BSS examiner, if he's not trained, then he won't have a stock of (expensive) certificates, but then I suppose he could still catch out the trusting people with some cock & bull story..

Being a genuine qualified BSS inspector is no guarantee of honesty either. Some years ago my brother bought a boat from a BSS inspector who shall remain nameless for now, but operates to this day in the MK area. He issued a certificate on the boat himself before selling it.

My brother's family were nearly asphyxiated by engine exhaust fumes getting into the cabin. When my brother had the boat inspected by a different BSS man, no less than thirty odd defects were apparent. My brother did get a few quid back, but in the end had to sell the boat at a huge loss. We still have all the documentation on this sad tale.

This incident led me to become Nabo's rep on a BSS user committee, until I realised that i was wasting my time.

The inspector in question was reprimanded, that's all. But the rules were changed in that they cannot now issue a certificate on a boat that they have a pecuniary interest in.

They certainly look after their own. Jobs for the boys.

Tone

• Greenie 1

And didn't some of them know how to charge in the very early days. I spent more on my first BSS inspection than I have in total since.

Oh yes I've heard that from quite a number of people, though I waited until it became essential, I was not sucked in by the "get an extra year free" just waited for the Broads Bill to go through, if I recall it cost me £190-00 with free re-test.

Phil

When the BSS first came into effect the examiner course cost upwards of £700. Double that at some colleges. I don't know whether there was an exam at the end of it or whether students automatically qualified........ Does anyone know?

That confirms he's a phoney. The course although only two weeks is full time with an exam every day in the second week. Can not see how he can be in the mid of a course

The BSS website has a list of all registered examiners.

BTW to be registered examiners must have PI & PL insurance cover to the Value of £5,000,000 each, this was increased from £2,000,000 a few months ago.

Edited by Radiomariner

When the BSS first came into effect the examiner course cost upwards of £700. Double that at some colleges. I don't know whether there was an exam at the end of it or whether students automatically qualified........ Does anyone know?

The course is now only run at Evesham and is of 2 weeks duration with exams and assessments at the end at a cost of £2.2k, then add the yearly costs of BSS registration and PI & PL insurance, addition training costs when required by the BSS, not a cheap profession!

Well it seems that said fella has done the course. heaven help us all...when I find this out for a fact I would really feel morally obliged to name and shame, knowing what sort of 'things' he gets up to...seriously dangerous workmanship; conning people outa money etc; ( and yes there is proof of this ). Would I be allowed to name and shame on here or is there another way I could warn people????

Well it seems that said fella has done the course. heaven help us all...when I find this out for a fact I would really feel morally obliged to name and shame, knowing what sort of 'things' he gets up to...seriously dangerous workmanship; conning people outa money etc; ( and yes there is proof of this ). Would I be allowed to name and shame on here or is there another way I could warn people????

Naming and shaming on this forum puts the owner - Daniel - at risk of litigation, so I'm afraid that you won't be able to do it here. I'm sure you can find some other way of getting your message across

Richard

Assuming you do actually have hard evidence, the place to go would be the Boat Safety Scheme itself.

If you don't have hard evidence, then I'm afraid that with this country's laws on libel and defamation, you don't have much option but to keep it to yourself.

Hi all

I trained as a Boat Safety Examiner at Berkshire college in 1996, on the second course that they had run. There were no pre course qualifications and there were "phase tests" during the course. Following the two week course which was (and still is) full time, I returned for an assessment day that entailed both a practical and an oral assessment. I believe that assessments are now conducted on the last day of the course. The course cost was in excess of £1000 plus your accommodation/food/drink.

I was an examiner for 10 years, only giving up to go continuous cruising, It would not be viable for me to have carried on beyond my end date due to the requirement for a 5 yr gas training CPD and the mandatory requirement for examiners to have PL insurance in addition to the PI insurance we always carried.

I would like to say that I met some interesting people, the vast majority seemed happy with my examination, even if they failed, I always took the time to talk them through the examination and to offer advice on the way forward.

Please remember the examination is no guarantee that the boat is safe (define safe!) it only means that the boat, at the time of the examination, meets the requirements of the navigation authorities. I have for example issued a certificate to a boat that had a hole in the bottom, and to a boat with no tiller. Neither of these points is in the checking procedure, REMEMBER "if its not on the (checking) list it dont exist" examiners cannot fail your boat just because they dont like the way your boat is fitted out. Always make sure you get the report form so you can check the fail points against the BSS guide, the examiners check list details what is required for an item to be compliant, ask him/her to explain the reason for each failure, if you are unhappy refer the matter to the BSS office, in writing.

Finally if there are any of my ex clients here thank you for your business and I wish you all well.

Paul Morris

NB Enchantress

Righty, can someone who knows put me right?

I read the pre-requisites for becoming a BSS examiner, from the BSS website, to mean they'd be looking for me to have been employed in a boatyard or onboard a ship or similar for a minimum of ten years prior - and/or have relevant marine qualifications.

Is that not the case?

PC