Living opposite a jet engine heater

Guest User

Featured Posts

Until this autumn I've been blessed with living on an exceptionally quiet mooring, no traffic, no pedestrians, nothing ! ... but not any more ... a new arrival opposite is fitted with one of those "woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo" jet engine heater thingies .... and with the way sound propagates across water I can hear it constantly, it appears to be on a timer because it's on every evening now, even when the owner is absent. Until now I've had beautifully quiet evenings, which makes it all the harder to live with this intrusive noise, and just about everyone else round about (myself included) has solid fuel heating ... so my request is for advice on how to look on this positively rather than let it nag ... any ideas welcome ?

• Greenie 1

I do have to concede as an owner of one these diesel powered heaters they do seem to emit one heck of an external noise.

Ours is a Webasto Thermotop which I've been told is one of the quieter versions, I have resolved to only use it when I have to when moored near other craft (including in our marina), rely on the stove to keep the cabin warm when I can.

Beyond that I'm not sure what else I can do..

I have a Eberspacher which I use solely to heat my hot water - about 25 minutes a day maximum.....and it's not that loud.

I have set it on the timer to work at peak sunshine hours ie mid day, letting the solar panel do the work instead of the batteries. I haven't used the central heating for the last two winters.

If its on when they are out maybe its just for hot water and the timings could be altered, could you try to talk to them about it? Non aggressively or it wont help. Perhaps they would be open to the suggestion of a solid fuel stove or might have one already for when the weather gets really cold. I know if I light my stove now then its too hot so I just light it in the evenings and use the diesel heater in the morning. If they know its driving you demented they could be open to a compromise.

As a first year trainee counsellor and psychotherapist

it's not the noise disturbing your accustomed peace and quiet that is the problem but your reaction to it - one of the basic principles of Cognitive Therapy...or is it Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy.....or is it both?.......- anyway the solution is to change the way you think about it - in other words...............

Get used to it

it's not the noise disturbing your accustomed peace and quiet that is the problem but your reaction to it - one of the basic principles of Cognitive Therapy...or is it Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy.....or is it both?.......- anyway the solution is to change the way you think about it - in other words...............

Get used to it

Pffft! What kind of a modality d'you call that!

Richard

What would Freud have done?

Get used to it

Would drinking help the process ? (TBH still prefer the potato idea ... I guess that's what an extra two years of training enables though ... quality tuberous advice ... I'm sure you'll reach that level one day though)

If its on when they are out maybe its just for hot water and the timings could be altered, could you try to talk to them about it? Non aggressively or it wont help. Perhaps they would be open to the suggestion of a solid fuel stove or might have one already for when the weather gets really cold. I know if I light my stove now then its too hot so I just light it in the evenings and use the diesel heater in the morning. If they know its driving you demented they could be open to a compromise.

In some ways this is a bit similar to the dog barking post I made last week.

I know my dog barks but I control and quiet him so as not to be a nuisance.

My neighbour knows their dogs bark but made no attempt them to quiet them (That is until the other night when we finally fell out)

I know my heater makes an external noise and so I quiet it so as not be a nuisance.

Th OP's neighbour knows their heater makes a noise (You can't fail to know this when you have one) but has made no attempt to quieten it.

To me it's just about being considerate...

Edited by MJG

I'll try and engage them at some point ... but no stove chimney on their boat so unlikely they have an alternative

<snip>

To me it's just about being considerate...

Absolutely .. hence I'm not going off on one ... I really am trying to stop focusing on it and hopefully they may find a way of quieting it a bit

[ i am annoyed by something i can do nothing about]

... so my request is for advice on how to look on this positively rather than let it nag ... any ideas welcome ?

well if it were me i would

- remind myself that they have a perfect right to use a noisy heater annoying though it is

- accept that there is nothing i can do about it (if you have exhausted all options)

- Use the fact that it comes on at the same time to my advantage, think oh it must be 7.15 time for the Late review/a beer/some chocolate

- remind myself that it only annoys me because i let it

and as a last resort

- Think "oh there's the thing that annoys me, a chance for some spiritual practice/personal growth"

All you have to do is decide not to let it bother you

Thinking constructively, if the offending exhaust exits on one side of their boat, they might be willing to turn their boat around so the noise you hear would be reduced. Or perhaps turning yours around may help?

Until this autumn I've been blessed with living on an exceptionally quiet mooring, no traffic, no pedestrians, nothing ! ... but not any more ... a new arrival opposite is fitted with one of those "woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo" jet engine heater thingies .... and with the way sound propagates across water I can hear it constantly,

Would it make any difference if they turned the boat round?

If not, potatoes.

Steve

well if it were me i would

- remind myself that they have a perfect right to use a noisy heater annoying though it is

- accept that there is nothing i can do about it (if you have exhausted all options)

- Use the fact that it comes on at the same time to my advantage, think oh it must be 7.15 time for the Late review/a beer/some chocolate

- remind myself that it only annoys me because i let it

and as a last resort

- Think "oh there's the thing that annoys me, a chance for some spiritual practice/personal growth"

All you have to do is decide not to let it bother you

There you go - Cognitive Therapy in action

Some years ago when I resided in a marina my next door neighbour who was a propa moaning control freak said to me one day in a very loud dominant voice “I’m not having that” What says I? “That noise from that boat opposite”

Now I had heard it but me being me never let it bother me but I said to the self appointed harbour master :captain: “I don’t know how they (the owners) can put up with it themselves” to which he replied “Oh we don’t hear ours from inside the boat”

Well I did but again, I thought live and let live and did not care.

So this twit wanted to complain about others noise but his was ok because he could not hear it.

Man I was so pleased to be away from that sort when I went bridge hopping! :cheers:

I don't understand why poorly silenced "eardrumsmashers" and "weblastos" don't come under the 8 til 8 engine rule.

I can be running a honda, super silent suitcase genny, and have to switch it off at night, but the diesel heater, next door can drown out a jumbo jet taking off, round the clock.

I do have to concede as an owner of one these diesel powered heaters they do seem to emit one heck of an external noise.

Ours is a Webasto Thermotop which I've been told is one of the quieter versions, I have resolved to only use it when I have to when moored near other craft (including in our marina), rely on the stove to keep the cabin warm when I can.

Beyond that I'm not sure what else I can do..

You can buy small silencers to fit which do make a difference most are fitted without one.

Be careful - a smaller potato might just become a projectile......

Ahhh a better cognitive fit required ? to prevent sudden ejection of the solanaceous mufflage from the woooooooooooooooooooooo emitter ? I think I need to consult my "id" or something (will new potatoes do ?)

Oh, so you think that the OP is somehow trapped in the anal phase then?

Richard

No I don't - but Freud might

Of course it's the anally retentive ones who don't give a shit

Maybe the OP needs to develop his anal retentivity