British Waterways 'Under Review'

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

I see that BW is one of the Quangos to be abolished according to a leaked government document reported in the Daily Telegraph today:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/8021780/Quango-cuts-full-list-of-bodies-under-review.html

The list also includes IWAC which has already been announced is to be abolished.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

I see that BW is one of the Quangos to be abolished according to a leaked government document reported in the Daily Telegraph today:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/8021780/Quango-cuts-full-list-of-bodies-under-review.html

The list also includes IWAC which has already been announced is to be abolished.

Tim

We might be better off if we abolished the government - just think how much that would save!

Tim

Just heard on BBC3CR that the local Watford based BW is due for the scrapheap, thought i'd come on here & look for more info :)

Yes we still listen to our old local radio station via internet radio, even though we now live in Lincs, like to hear what we are missing!!

It's all very well saying they're going to 'abolish' BWB and various other bodies, but they do have a job to do which has to be done by someone. Great if they find a better way, BW is a looong way from perfect, but let's hear what it is.

Tim

Tim

That report is totally unhelpful. Most of the QUANGOs referred to are advisory, consultative, or regulatory bodies, and therefore comparatively easy to abandon without any immediate operational effect.

BW is one of the handful that actually manage a Government operational facility, and unless they are also to announce plans for another body in it's place, or transfer management to anothe government body, it is difficult to see how the Inland Waterways would contue to function.

But then why should we be surprised with this lot in Government?

Edited by David Schweizer

That report is totally unhelpful. Most of the QUANGOs referred to are advisory, consultative, or regulatory bodies, and therefore comparatively easy to abandon without any immediate operational effect.

BW is one of the handful that actually manage a Government operational facility, and unless they are also to announce plans for another body in it's place, or transfer management to anothe government body, it is difficult to see how the Inland Waterways would contue to function.

Unless "The Third Sector" option is going ahead. You are right, BW actually do something constructive, and apart from the immoral levels of the upper echlons salaries, I think within their financial constraints they do a much better job than some other Government organisations. It is all very well for the Newspapers to report the demise of BW, but something has to be put in its place. Personally, I prefer the devil I know, until the alternative is clearly mapped out. Compare the performance of BW with say, the DVLA. I sent my driving license for renewal in early Feb 2010. Still waiting. All they say on the phone is that they are "very busy" with a welsh accent. Aren't we all?

Anyway, they cannot be abolished yet - they owe me money!!

R4 today discussed this and the general opinion was that the functions would generally be transferred back into Government. To me that sounds like the whole lot gets absorbed by the civil service. Cue a feeding frenzy as mandarins engage in the biggest single era of empire building since Ghengis Khan. Payrises and Knighthoods all round, Hurrah!

R4 today discussed this and the general opinion was that the functions would generally be transferred back into Government. To me that sounds like the whole lot gets absorbed by the civil service. Cue a feeding frenzy as mandarins engage in the biggest single era of empire building since Ghengis Khan. Payrises and Knighthoods all round, Hurrah!

Forgive my ignorance, but how the heck would that save money?

How about merging with the highways agency, boats being licensed by the DVLA and canals getting a share of the pot from the road fund licence

Save money? It's not about saving money, it's about killing off QUANGOs.

I disagree.

If setting up Quangos saved money (or appeared to, on the face of it) then this Con-dem government would be starting one a day.

Edited by carlt

Time will tell. I doubt that there will be any money saved by swapping these admin functions from the quasi-public sector to the public sector. The only gains will come from consolidating the various talking shops into fewer talking shops - wherever they are located in the wiring diagram of power.

Time will tell. I doubt that there will be any money saved

Like I said "on the face of it". The actual effect, on the public purse, will probably be detrimental, but it will only be the "savage cuts" or "massive savings" (depending on your choice of daily rag) that will grab the headlines.

Edited by carlt

You have hit the nail on the head.

As I have said many times before during my SOW days...the "Defra Inland Waterways Team" were the ones Empire Building (now in job protection mode), are the ones to be watched and are the real people in power over EA/BWB. With IWAC disposed of, the fate of EA and BW waterways are in the hands of a few faceless bureaucrats.

Move the managerial functions to EA. Apparently at an EA meeting recently every one had to pay for their own coffee. Even six years ago you only got a coffee and a M&Spencer sandwich whilst BW were providing three course lunches at excellent hotels. This was topped by the Waterways Trust which had expensive buffet's at places like the Barbican with our money.

Sue

Move the managerial functions to EA. Apparently at an EA meeting recently every one had to pay for their own coffee. Even six years ago you only got a coffee and a M&Spencer sandwich whilst BW were providing three course lunches at excellent hotels. This was topped by the Waterways Trust which had expensive buffet's at places like the Barbican with our money.

Sue

I only got Tesco sandwiches from BW... :(

I only got Tesco sandwiches from BW... :(

Ive had nice buffet from both.

Obviously I go to a better class of meeting!

My view FWIW and I have been to many of the "consultation" meetings on behalf of the DBA, is that there will be a third sector organisation for navigation covering both BW and EA. Flood control will be left with the EA, The higher BW bods will go and it will be left to the middle management of BW and EA to carry on, the decision has been made already and its all just down to sorting the finances.....

Ive had nice buffet from both.

Obviously I go to a better class of meeting!

My view FWIW and I have been to many of the "consultation" meetings on behalf of the DBA, is that there will be a third sector organisation for navigation covering both BW and EA. Flood control will be left with the EA, The higher BW bods will go and it will be left to the middle management of BW and EA to carry on, the decision has been made already and its all just down to sorting the finances.....

So who will control the middle management at BW/EA? :rolleyes:

So who will control the middle management at BW/EA? :rolleyes:

Same people that control it now.

Different organisation, different name, but otherwise ( like most government stuff ) same old same old.

This is not about saving money. It is about being perceived to save money. Totally different ball game.

All makes sense to 'them' but we are much to common, thick,stupid, ( pick your own description ) to understand their wily ways.

All much the same as the telegraph scandels I guess. Hands up all those who think that has really been stopped.

Edited by Sunset Rising

One of the functions of BW is to collect our licence fees. I suppose this will continue.?