Have you seen this boat?

Ally

Featured Posts

We need your help to find a boat....this was broken down at the end of last week/weekend, on the River Soar, at Kegworth, between The Otter Pub and Kegworth village, near the slalom wires for those that know.

The boat was attended by a local mechanical service, as it's BMC's cooling system had broken and effected the engine. The attending mechanic did a lot of work on the friday and arranged to return on the Monday. Meanwhile over the weekend another mechanic was contacted who also worked on the boat.

Come Monday (yesterday) the (?)owner was not contactable by phone. Today the same, so the mechanic went out to the boat which had gone. Both mechanics were there looking for him individually. He has left owing both a lot of money.

The boat is about a 45' cruiser stern all steel narrowboat, ports to the rear, windows fore, tube handrails on the roof and round the stern. It is a 'dirty' geen khaki-ish and a dirty looking blue, as if there was green mixed in with the blue paint. This is not an old looking boat though, but 'dirty' colours used.

He called himself Tony, had darkish curly hair and wears reading glasses, approx 5'7", north western accent...possibly liverpool/manchester area, but quite well spoken. He appeared to be the only one on board. He claimed to work in the area.

At the time he was pointing as if he was cruising north, towards the Trent/ sawley, though there are many directions he could have gone, even back towards the Soar to Leicester way.

Apart from ripping off these two mechanics, he may be getting work done by others and disappearing without paying also. He already would owe in the region of £1500+ to these mechanics.

Please keep your eyes peeled for any boat that may be this one....it had no name or BW number on it either.

One of these mechanics is a close friend and self-employed...this has stung him badly.

Thanks

• Greenie 1

We need your help to find a boat....this was broken down at the end of last week/weekend, on the River Soar, at Kegworth, between The Otter Pub and Kegworth village, near the slalom wires for those that know.

The boat was attended by a local mechanical service, as it's BMC's cooling system had broken and effected the engine. The attending mechanic did a lot of work on the friday and arranged to return on the Monday. Meanwhile over the weekend another mechanic was contacted who also worked on the boat.

Come Monday (yesterday) the (?)owner was not contactable by phone. Today the same, so the mechanic went out to the boat which had gone. Both mechanics were there looking for him individually. He has left owing both a lot of money.

The boat is about a 45' cruiser stern all steel narrowboat, ports to the rear, windows fore, tube handrails on the roof and round the stern. It is a 'dirty' geen khaki-ish and a dirty looking blue, as if there was green mixed in with the blue paint. This is not an old looking boat though, but 'dirty' colours used.

He called himself Tony, had darkish curly hair and wears reading glasses, approx 5'7", north western accent...possibly liverpool/manchester area, but quite well spoken. He appeared to be the only one on board. He claimed to work in the area.

At the time he was pointing as if he was cruising north, towards the Trent/ sawley, though there are many directions he could have gone, even back towards the Soar to Leicester way.

Apart from ripping off these two mechanics, he may be getting work done by others and disappearing without paying also. He already would owe in the region of £1500+ to these mechanics.

Please keep your eyes peeled for any boat that may be this one....it had no name or BW number on it either.

One of these mechanics is a close friend and self-employed...this has stung him badly.

Thanks

Its a bad arse place is Kegworth, I once had my car broken into while parked in the Otter pub car park, absolutely no help whatsoever from anyone in the pub, shit meal as well.

Not surprising then that a broken down boat has gone :angry:

Its a bad arse place is Kegworth, I once had my car broken into while parked in the Otter pub car park, absolutely no help whatsoever from anyone in the pub, shit meal as well.

Not surprising then that a broken down boat has gone :angry:

that's helpful ..... :rolleyes:

Might be better to get customers to pay on the same day the work is done, its a bit like going out to a broken down car on the side of the road that was displaying no number plate etc, do a few hundred ££s of work on it for a customer who you only know by a first name and expect them to still be there the next day. but i suppose you have to work on trust a lot of the time, hope they find him.

Might be better to get customers to pay on the same day the work is done, its a bit like going out to a broken down car on the side of the road that was displaying no number plate etc, do a few hundred ££s of work on it for a customer who you only know by a first name and expect them to still be there the next day. but i suppose you have to work on trust a lot of the time, hope they find him.

Unfortunately he had no cash on him...he gave the second mechanic a cheque which is no good...wrongly written out, but yes, good idea where possible, but leaving a boat still disabled,waiting for parts, you expect it to still be there!!

And you expect a phone number to keep working mostly I guess. :angry:

Edited by Ally

he gave the second mechanic a cheque which is no good...wrongly written out..............

Whilst I have every sympathy for those who have been stitched, on the rare occasions I need to take a cheque from anyone, it's surely not hard to see that it it is at least correctly filled out.

If it's a genuine cheque, and it was his, even if it's not correctly completed, surely it has a name, and could lead eventually to an address. Would the Police not be interested in a genuine attempt to defraud ? (Genuine question, BTW - I really don't know what matters

the Police take up, and what they will not).

Whilst I have every sympathy for those who have been stitched, on the rare occasions I need to take a cheque from anyone, it's surely not hard to see that it it is at least correctly filled out.

If it's a genuine cheque, and it was his, even if it's not correctly completed, surely it has a name, and could lead eventually to an address. Would the Police not be interested in a genuine attempt to defraud ? (Genuine question, BTW - I really don't know what matters

the Police take up, and what they will not).

As I don't know the second mechanic, I cannot speak for his thoroughness. Perhaps some of us trust too much though!

• Greenie 1

might be missing something but whats the boat called?

"it had no name or BW number on it"

owner called mechanics out to atend he boat, so how did they know which boat to go to without the bame?

Owner says "It is a 'dirty' green khaki-ish and a dirty looking blue, as if there was green mixed in with the blue paint. You can't miss it!"

why do people have mobile phones with camera,s on and never use the camera in cases such as this .

No boat name or number would suggest the boat and its owner are not exactly up to scratch when it comes keeping it legit.

Possibly because at the time they forget they have the ability to instantly record the moment.

Many years ago we were side swiped and had our car trashed by a HGV on the M62.... only after we arranged to meet at the next service station (we were in the middle of a long stretch of roadworks) did I remember I had a digital camera in the boot and took this pic....

Clioaccident.jpg

Oh how I'd wished I remembered it was there before when I could have taken a picture of him, his truck and his vehicle reg. why.... because we never saw him again....

hindsight really is a wonderful thing...

Edited by MJG

It also couldn't be missed as it was a lone boat as you could see from the google map, not in a marina.

As for the camera point...good point, but I guess some people expect honesty where they give it, and he was left as a non-running boat at first, waiting for parts, till the second mechanic came.

Whatever, a sole trader...excellent mechanic, boater and good friend has been left out of pocket because he trusted a fellow boater, along with another trader...lets try and find him and stop it happening again to someone else.

As a suggestion, try Googling the phone number you have, and the name on the cheque. It's surprising what comes up about people sometimes.

You might find he has a blog mentioning the name of his boat for example, or other useful information.

Mike

Possibly because at the time they forget they have the ability to instantly record the moment.

Many years ago we were side swiped and had our car trashed by a HGV on the M62.... only after we arranged to meet at the next service station (we were in the middle of a long stretch of roadworks) did I remember I had a digital camera in the boot and took this pic....

Clioaccident.jpg

Oh how I'd wished I remembered it was there before when I could have taken a picture of him, his truck and his vehicle reg. why.... because we never saw him again....

hindsight really is a wonderful thing...

:blink:

I hope no one was injured....? But look on the bright side he did you a favour in a way after all it was a Renault he trashed and hopefully this meant you went and bought something better.......... :lol:

Edited by mrsmelly

Whatever, a sole trader...excellent mechanic, boater and good friend has been left out of pocket because he trusted a fellow boater, along with another trader...lets try and find him and stop it happening again to someone else.

Yes, good luck and thanks for the heads up!

:blink:

I hope no one was injured....? But look on the bright side he did you a favour in a way after all it was a Renault he trashed and hopefully this meant you went and bought something better.......... :lol:

We were all physically fine thanks though Jan (who was driving at the time) is still very nervous when she's alongside HGV's in slow moving traffic - half expecting the same thing to happen.

The little Clio was repaired and actually was/is a great little car that served us well for about 4 years after the accident. Cost us though at the time in terms of excess/repairs.

I'm a long way from home and don't know what the weathers been like in UK, but 48 hours since boat last seen. A morning with a 9 inch roller and a tin of cheap B&Q Gloss and you're not looking for a completely "Dirty Khaki" boat anymore...Not if he's that crafty anyway..Is there anyone, someone with local knowledge perhaps, who could who could draw say a 48 hour + ring at 4MPH round that last position on a canal map to give an area for an approximate travelling distance of the boat? And does the tealeaf read these forums? Perhaps any possible sightings should be via personal messages between trusted forum members rather than broadcast. Sorry I'm new..but I used to plan bank robberies for a living.. :lol: :lol:

It is worth reporting the matter to the police force that covers the area where the work took place. They may not get particularly proactive and will probably mutter about it being a bad business deal/civil matter etc. etc. however if you can get a crime number (ideally) or an incident number at least if the boat is spotted members will have something official to quote to the local cops who can then get in touch with the force that has had the complaint lodged, maybe commence some form of investigation and one would hope contact the aggrieved. If you do this and the reference number etc can be put here so that eagle eyed members can note them down that would help.

Edited to add: Saxon makes some fair points.

Edited by twbm

As a suggestion, try Googling the phone number you have, and the name on the cheque. It's surprising what comes up about people sometimes.

You might find he has a blog mentioning the name of his boat for example, or other useful information.

Mike

Thanks for a constructive suggestion Mike :)

and the nxt 2 comments....will pass the suggestions on, thanks

Edited by Ally

Incidentally, BW were of no help at all...not even interested in an unlicensed boat, apparently the 'logistics' of keeping an eye/ear out about it, or informing us if found are just all too much for them! I'm not sounding sarcastic there am I??