Boating at 01.00

buggsy

Featured Posts

Hi,

anyone moored on the GU Saturday night near MK and see/feel a boat come by at about 01.00? I have always fancied trying boating in the moonlight but I would personally pass moored boat on tick over only.

You should pass moored boats at tickover even during daylight hours.

In general, when boating after dark, I prefer to travel at tickover (or just slightly over) all the way.

agreed, but do have some sympathy for the yoghurt pot behind you that is all over the canal because it can't (and doesn't need to) go that slow.

In November I will have an interesting challenge, the Severn before Dawn. The last mooring before Diglis lock going up is Upton, 3 hours away, and I want to go through Diglis not long after it opens at 8...

I've decided I may need "light in the sky" as that length of the severn is over 100 feet wide and there is no streelighting anywhere near, so my headlight would be useless.

You should pass moored boats as slowly as you are able. In general, that will equate to having the engine at tickover.

Far from irrelevant.

I disagree. The object is not to cause undue disturbance to the moored boats and this can be achieved at engine speeds above tickover if, as has been debated ad nauseum on here, the many other factors that influence things allow that.

I disagree. The object is not to cause undue disturbance to the moored boats and this can be achieved at engine speeds above tickover if, as has been debated ad nauseum on here, the many other factors that influence things allow that.

I would agree that there are cases where a speed above the absolute minimum causes no additional disturbance.

However, the number of people who can correctly judge this is a tiny proportion of the number of people who are just trying to go as fast as they think they can get away with.

I always work on the principle of causing the least possible disturbance to other boaters, rather than causing them no more than some arbitrary amount of disturbance that I have decided they should put up with.

• Greenie 1

Hi,

anyone moored on the GU Saturday night near MK and see/feel a boat come by at about 01.00? I have always fancied trying boating in the moonlight but I would personally pass moored boat on tick over only.

Any idea what type of toilet they had? :P

Hi,

Now that we own our own boat this is something we really would like to try (subject to checking our insurance etc etc).

As to the speed of passing - my object would be to slip past moored boats with as little disturbance as possible both in terms of wash and noise which to me means passing on 'true' tick over...

surely the measurement of achievement of night time boating is measured by how few sleeping boaters you awaken...

At tickover the risk of disturbance by my boat is much greater. It does not steer at all well at such low revs (about 800rpm), so while the noise and the wash may be reduced, the risk of getting T-boned is much higher. 1100rpm - 1200rpm causes very little wash but enables me to steer. 1600 - 1800rpm is cruising speed.

Dave, your methodology is undoubtedly sound for your boat but one rule does not suit all.

At tickover the risk of disturbance by my boat is much greater. It does not steer at all well at such low revs (about 800rpm), so while the noise and the wash may be reduced, the risk of getting T-boned is much higher. 1100rpm - 1200rpm causes very little wash but enables me to steer. 1600 - 1800rpm is cruising speed.

Conversely ours steers very well at tick over in normal conditions - if it's windy it needs a touch more revs, but slipping past moored boats at such speeds for us is not a problem at all.

Dave, your methodology is undoubtedly sound for your boat but one rule does not suit all.

Experience and genuine consideration for others is paramount, especially at night. I have always been a firm believer that the canals should be available for boating 24 hours a day.

Experience and genuine consideration for others is paramount, especially at night. I have always been a firm believer that the canals should be available for boating 24 hours a day.

Agreed. I'm just pointing out that running at tickover, as Dave Mayall suggests, wouldn't do anyone any favours if mine were the boat involved.

Conversely ours steers very well at tick over in normal conditions - if it's windy it needs a touch more revs, but slipping past moored boats at such speeds for us is not a problem at all.

You're confusing engine speed with crusing speed. I can slip past moored boats at very slow speeds doing 1100rpm. If I try it at 800rpm I'll hardly be moving and the rudder will be largely ineffective, which rather increases the risk of collision. It is a small multi-cylinder engine that likes revs. Just because I'm doing 1100rpm past moored boats doesn't mean I'm speeding. If anything it's rather on the slow side.

With time, you will acquire the necessary skill to steer at tickover.