Boating at 01.00

buggsy

Featured Posts

Hmmmm, I suddenly fancy Crispy Beef in Black Bean sauce...

Roast beef, yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes, brocolli, cauliflower and carrots...........

Tricky. I think I'll go with the Crispy Beef

Richard

Hi,

anyone moored on the GU Saturday night near MK and see/feel a boat come by at about 01.00? I have always fancied trying boating in the moonlight but I would personally pass moored boat on tick over only.

We travelled towards the Anderton boat lift last year. On our way there, we came across two hefty trees that had decided to 'take a look' into the canal, nearly blocking the entire width of the cut. Later that evening, near midnight, a narrow boat cruised past our mooring heading towards the fallen trees. I doubt if the steerer would have seen what was about to block his way through, at that time of night!

We've cruised during darkness once before, but I wouldn't really recommend it, if it can be possibly avoided.

Mike

Its a question of maintaining safe minimum manouvering speed. It has nothing to do with any fixed engine RPM, tickover or otherwise.

Yes and no. For disturbing moored boats, it's the size of the wave that matters. For steering, it's the speed of the propeller. If you need the propeller to be going relatively fast to get safely past a moored boat, then slow down much more beforehand so that you can spin the propeller faster whilst going past without also creating a large wave.

Lots of boaters speed past with an apologetic comment about their tickover speed. It's irrelevant - they have a reverse gear to slow down with if need be.

We travelled towards the Anderton boat lift last year. On our way there, we came across two hefty trees that had decided to 'take a look' into the canal, nearly blocking the entire width of the cut. Later that evening, near midnight, a narrow boat cruised past our mooring heading towards the fallen trees. I doubt if the steerer would have seen what was about to block his way through, at that time of night!

We've cruised during darkness once before, but I wouldn't really recommend it, if it can be possibly avoided.

Mike

Why ever not?

If you choose a stretch of canal/river that you are familiar with for your first attempt it is a very relaxing way to pass an evening by. It is also a great way to see a whole host of wildlife you wouldnt otherwise get to see. On our last nightime trip (which was to Bardney on bank holiday weekend) we encountered badger, foxes, and deer all at the waters edge as well as a pair of barn owls busily hunting along the river bank.

Yes you need to keep a look out for obstructions and moored boats but with some careful planning and a good watch it is a magical time afloat. It is importanct to ensure that your insurance does allow night time use though.

I would really love, one day, to get with some similarly minded boaters and work "fly" to experience it for myself. Not sure what people would say, though.

Maybe the YWBS could borrow President...In terms of boating at night, I've often done it, albeit on rivers and not canals. On the river, going along is fine, it's just making sure that you're safe going through locks- which, with guillotine gates, high flows, and chains protruding from the walls to get hung up upon, do need particular care.

One particular trip, back in January 2009- very icy and cold, but we had to move so as not to overstay on visitor moorings. Headtorches, lifejackets, and taking it slowly and carefully in the icy conditions. This is at about 11pm, going through Bottisham lock which was next to the next set of moorings.

291220081363.jpg

291220081366.jpg

291220081367.jpg

Edited by FadeToScarlet

Why ever not?

If you choose a stretch of canal/river that you are familiar with for your first attempt it is a very relaxing way to pass an evening by. It is also a great way to see a whole host of wildlife you wouldnt otherwise get to see. On our last nightime trip (which was to Bardney on bank holiday weekend) we encountered badger, foxes, and deer all at the waters edge as well as a pair of barn owls busily hunting along the river bank.

Yes you need to keep a look out for obstructions and moored boats but with some careful planning and a good watch it is a magical time afloat. It is importanct to ensure that your insurance does allow night time use though.

I see plenty of those every night, in fact, I need to be carefull, as especially badgers make one hell of a mess on the bumper.

I see plenty of those every night, in fact, I need to be carefull, as especially badgers make one hell of a mess on the bumper.

Yes, and it would be quite deer to repair. Personally though, it would fox me to justify nightime cruising. My dead friend Cecil, would always say that nights were for bats & burglars!

Mike

P.S. is there a cure for this frivolity?