Coal & Solid Fuel

Liam

Featured Posts

I appreciate that a lot of people burn wood for whatever reason but I'm generally interested in what types of coal / solid fuels you burn in your solid fuel stove on the boat?

had ago with many differnt coals all way go back to excel keeps in overnight

regards

Pet Coke on its own, as they generally recommend mixing it with something else as it's pretty harsh.

It's got a rep for burning through grates but I didn't have that problem in three years burning it... Best "coal" I've used to date.

Thanks for the replies so far, you're helping me make a decision :)

We've tried Taybrite (cheap and dusty), Homefire (which is our current favourite as it is less dusty and appears to burn for longer) and Phurnacite (more expensive than the others but seems to burn no slower than Homefire). I think that there is a fourth that we've tried but I can't recall what it was.

If it were up to me I'd be burning petcoke, but it's not so Stoveglow's not bad, although it makes for a hungry fire

As I understand it, Stoveglow doesn't have a standard specification, as is actually a random mixture of other types.

The explanation previously given is that it is the stuff that gets produced as they are changing from manufacturing one fuel to another.

The reality is you can end up with a bag that is largely Taybrite, but equally one that is a more expensive grade, like Homefire or Excel.

AS it is generally priced cheaper than any of the types it contains, it's good value, but you can end up with more powdered "coal" in there that is not really usable. A local supplier says that since he started selling Stoveglow, he has moved very little of the more expensive fuels, due to it's popularity.

When we are not using Stoveglow, then it's usually Taybrite. Taybrite produces a bit more ash than some of them, but this can be helpful to keeping the fire in overnight. But you probably do get less heat out of a bag, so this to some extent offsets any advantage in it being priced cheaper than other types.

We burn pure Anthracite (nuts) on Alnwick - we prefer it because, generally, it is cleaner, burns hotter and is more environmentally friendly than the various processed cocktails. We also think it is more economical but then we do like to keep very warm - so no solid fuel is really that economical for us . . .

I appreciate that a lot of people burn wood for whatever reason but I'm generally interested in what types of coal / solid fuels you burn in your solid fuel stove on the boat?

Up until quite recently we have burned coal hewn at the Roger mine of the New Moss Colliery ( closed 1959) . This coal is of the highest quality, good heat , little smoke and large amounts are still available around 3000 feet away. Where's that Dibnah bloke when you need him?

Bill

just to twist the discussion slightly, I have a Morso Badger multifuel stove in my house... sadly, I don't own a boat yet but I'm ever hopeful (even though can't find the 'hopeful' emoticon ! ) I live in a smokeless area but the stove is one of those allowed to burn wood in a smokeless zone, and due to a supply of wood open to me, I have never burnt anything but wood. Any suggestions for a good smokeless fuel, were my wood supply to dry up ?

Edited by Pete of Ebor

Excel is fantastic stuff but too good for my stove - I end up boiling the back boiler circuit if I don't tone it down with something like Taybrite.

Similarly Supertherm is very good once it has caught, but the lumps are big and it's hard for me to light straight off kindling, so again I end up mixing with something like Taybrite.

The pre-mixed stuff is good but as Alan says it can be a bit random, and my stove is small (Puffin) so an excess of the bigger lumps is a nuisance. If I get the fire hot enough to light them then the header tank is almost certain to vent all over the engine bay about an hour later when they catch. :banghead:

Oh well, if you lot insist on paying for your fuel, all the more left for us woodburners! I wouldn't even consider burning anything else. Of course, it varies a lot in quality, but I recently found an excellent lot on the Chesterfield - filled the stove up last night before going to bed, and here I am sitting in my shirtsleeves at 11AM without having added any more (but I must admit this is exceptional).

Mac