Drilling Rig on the Thames

koukouvagia

Featured Posts

Overnight a drilling rig has plonked itself opposite our flat next to the entrance to Limehouse Basin. No, it's not BP's effort to find an alternative oil supply to the Gulf of Mexico. It's Thames Water who are digging exploratory boreholes along the route of the proposed new super-sewer.

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

So now there's something else to think about before turning into Limehouse. :lol:

Overnight a drilling rig has plonked itself opposite our flat next to the entrance to Limehouse Basin. No, it's not BP's effort to find an alternative oil supply to the Gulf of Mexico. It's Thames Water who are digging exploratory boreholes along the route of the proposed new super-sewer.

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

So now there's something else to think about before turning into Limehouse. :lol:

be handy if they found some red deisel :lol:

Overnight a drilling rig has plonked itself opposite our flat next to the entrance to Limehouse Basin. It's Thames Water who are digging exploratory boreholes along the route of the proposed new super-sewer.

I should imagine that Thames Water, for all their faults, had received planning permission first!

Not sure if there is more than one of them, but this one was a lot further up a few weeks ago when I did the Thames with Keeping Up.

Drilling_Rig.jpg

I think it had moved by the time we went through on Chalice a few weeks later.

Drilling_Rig_2.jpg

What may not be obvious to those who haver not actually tried it, is that when you do this stretch of the Thames the speed of the incoming tide gets added to that your boat might otherwise achieve, and you can easily have an "over land" speed of maybe 8 mph, even in the lowliest of narrow boats.

Obstructions come at you at least twice as fast as on the canals, (yes even marker buoys, Allan, before you mention them :lol: ), and you get a lot less thinking time to stay out of the way of fixed objects.

Edited by alan_fincher

What may not be obvious to those who haver not actually tried it, is that when you do this stretch of the Thames the speed of the incoming tide gets added to that your boat might otherwise achieve, and you can easily have an "over land" speed of maybe 8 mph, even in the lowliest of narrow boats.

Also works the other way so if a boat capable of 4 knots is running against a 4 knot tide it is effectively not covering any ground/water.

Also works the other way so if a boat capable of 4 knots is running against a 4 knot tide it is effectively not covering any ground/water.

Which is why I'm in no hurry to try the trip into Limehouse, rather than out of it.

Still, at least it looks like there is now a nice drilling rig to moor up to, if you really can't get in the entrance!

I thought I saw two of them, one was being relocated when we went up on the 1st june, somewhere near Lambeth Bridge I think. Of course I may have had a bout of double vision!

Aye them drilling rigs are a b*****ger when you come around one of them blind bends all overgrown with bushes, nearly ran in to this one on the wide bit by Dor's mooring.

We do everything bigger up North then them Southern jessies.

now off to the pub before the flak starts

SDC10149.jpg

SDC10165.jpg

david

Ha ha.................

Only just noticed this one......

It's one our jack up platforms (Fugro Seacore). We've had a couple of them working on the new sewer project up and down the Estuary over the last year or so.

I think Skate 2D is the only one left on the job at the moment.

I am anticipating Phylis next question,

"Does anyone know what kind of boat this is........."

:lol:

Oh.......

and for Phylis's benifit: Skate 2C/D

Effectively they are self propelled (or towed) floating drilling platforms that, once on site, jack themselves up out of the water on legs :lol: simple, but effective

Aye them drilling rigs are a b*****ger when you come around one of them blind bends all overgrown with bushes, nearly ran in to this one on the wide bit by Dor's mooring.

We do everything bigger up North then them Southern jessies.

now off to the pub before the flak starts

david

We do have some bigger ones, but they won't fit up the Thames Link

:lol: