council tax

onionbargee

Featured Posts

Presumably a quick look at the licence details, to see whether there is a permanent mooring noted, should suffice.

There is nothing to stop any of us attempting to fraudulently claim a variety of benefits.

Fortunately this is much rarer, than some would state, and the vast majority of people prefer not to break the law.

Carl you have made my day! For once i can claim to belong to the 'vast majority' - though sadly many of my views are often quite unacceptable to any majority . . .

:lol:

I pay CT so that gives me the right to use services in every area. And as I said before unless you sit on your boat and dont leave it at anytime you will use some of the services, ok it would be a small amount but you still getting something for free.

That might be what some people would like the rules to be, but it isn't what they actually are

Some services are provided by the state and are free to all, these include roads (so long as you aren't driving a motor vehicle) canal towpaths, parks etc. There is no link in these between whether you pay any tax at all and whether you can use them, even an American Tourist can use these.

Some services are provided exclusively to those who have a valid residence in an area, rubbish collection being the obvious one. Mr CJ, I'm pleased you are allowed to be a member of a library in an area you neither live nor work, but I am only able to be a member in either Bath (Live) or Bristol (Work) I could probably try it on in any town where Peter Brett Associates have an office actually but you get the picture. A service only for those who are eligible to pay the tax.

The first set are all that is avaialble to a visitor to the area, and are in no way related to whether that visitor pays tax anywhere else, unless you wish to argue that a visitor from the Gobi desert pays all the taxes the Mongolian Government ask on his yurt, and that therefore this visitor too is also under a reciprocal arrangement

and the vast majority of people prefer not to break the law.

I must be in the minority, I'd prefer to get away with all sorts of things, it's the getting away with it, where I find the problem occurs.

:lol:

PC

I must be in the minority, I'd prefer to get away with all sorts of things, it's the getting away with it, where I find the problem occurs.

Ow Dad!! What was that for?

That's for getting CAUGHT, son!

T :lol:

The first set are all that is avaialble to a visitor to the area, and are in no way related to whether that visitor pays tax anywhere else, unless you wish to argue that a visitor from the Gobi desert pays all the taxes the Mongolian Government ask on his yurt, and that therefore this visitor too is also under a reciprocal arrangement

But would the occupant of this boat be liable for Mongolian Council Tax?

closeencountersgobidesertshipwreck.jpg

As I suspect it's in the Aral Sea probably not, but can't comment about the Kazakh Government policy :lol:

No it is from Close Encounters when they find a shipwreck in the Gobi.

Actually filmed on some coastal sand dunes, I believe.

This may be a valid argument but since all licences are issued with equal continuous cruising opportunities, and there is no licence issued that is specific to continuous cruisers, how would you prevent all licence holders from claiming that they are continuous cruisers and therefore entitled to such a benefit/allowance?

You seem to be a bit confused. CCers are not exempt from council tax, they are simply not liable for it. If you don't want to pay council tax, don't own or rent a house or mooring spot which is liable for it.

• 1 month later...

sorry on opening this one again but was just on another site and came across this COUNCIL TAX WHO PAYS WHO DOESNT on the topic, it seams that and it has been said in this thread that everyone who pays for a BW licence pays council tax as they pay an amount each year for this purpose to central government who then split that up to the local governments . So the argument about CCers getting service for nothing has been blown out of the water.

And I hold my hands up on this one and apologise on the one about CCers getting services for nothing.

But this now opens another argument debate, if You own a property which you already have to pay council tax. Should not BW lower your licence fee by the amount they take from it to put towards council tax, as you have already paid that on your property so you now being charge twice for the same services.

But this now opens another argument debate, if You own a property which you already have to pay council tax. Should not BW lower your licence fee by the amount they take from it to put towards council tax, as you have already paid that on your property so you now being charge twice for the same services.

I don't think you will get very far with that one.

The consensus on this forum would appear to be that, alone amongst canal users, it is quite acceptable for boat owners to pay twice for services received.

George ex nb Alton retired

Or rather, that it's unacceptable for people to get a tax break for the privilege of having two homes in the midst of a housing crisis. The second home currently gets a discount, which is more than generous, IMO.

Second home? Where did that come from, or are you inferring that a 15ft GRP boat can be classed as a home.

If so, I claim the right to classify a cycle as a means of transport and demand that it pays its fair share of road (and towpath) taxation.

George ex nb Alton retired

• 6 months later...