council tax

onionbargee

Featured Posts

Whats the score with boaters and council tax, who's paying it, and whos not ?

i'm a constant cruiser and the council have had the balls to invent an address for me, and bill me for £800 !! (which they are not getting.)

Where did they send the bill? If you don't own or live in the property you are best of sending them a letter or email informing them of the mistake

If the council have decided you're liable for council tax maybe your cruising is not "constant" enough...

In straightforward mode, you need a piece of land or a structure to attract council tax liabiity... who operates the piece of land you're not supposed to be occupying attached to?

Or do you live under a bridge?

i'm a constant cruiser and the council have had the balls to invent an address for me, and bill me for £800 !! (which they are not getting.)

is it april 1st again? or yet another wind up by a continual "constant cruiser"?

Well - - why don't you not visit the address the Council have invented for you - and then you cannot collect your mail / Council Tax bill . . .

Hmm - you've already got the bill . . .

Therefore you must have an address . . . .

Is that why the Council want you to pay council tax maybe?

:lol:

Bulls and dung springs to mind..............

why shouldn't CC pay some form of Council Tax they still use some of the same things that the rest of us use.

And if they invented the address how the hell did you get the bill cos they would of sent it to the address they invented and if its not yours you wouldn't got it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

why shouldn't CC pay some form of Council Tax they still use some of the same things that the rest of us use.

Because it is not a charge for the use of services, it is a property-based tax to raise finance for local authorities. If you don't fall within the scope of the tax you don't pay it, just like any other tax.

And if they invented the address how the hell did you get the bill cos they would of sent it to the address they invented and if its not yours you wouldn't got it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

;)

Er because real ccers do not have an address to pay council tax from so how would they pay, and if ccers have the sense to do just that then why should they pay, thats the rules.............become one yourself and get the benefits if you want, you may find a lot of ccers are pensioners having paid for the pension over many years of paying into the system and say supporting unemployed without beefiting from unemployed benefit themselves, its the way things are, get a life.............

Because it is not a charge for the use of services, it is a property-based tax to raise finance for local authorities. If you don't fall within the scope of the tax you don't pay it, just like any other tax.

so you saying that anyone that is CC never uses or calls on the police etc or walks down the street at night. Just cos you living on a boat it doesnt stop u using the local areas that you are passing.

:lol:

Er because real ccers do not have an address to pay council tax from so how would they pay, and if ccers have the sense to do just that then why should they pay, thats the rules.............become one yourself and get the benefits if you want, you may find a lot of ccers are pensioners having paid for the pension over many years of paying into the system and say supporting unemployed without beefiting from unemployed benefit themselves, its the way things are, get a life.............

Don't quite follow that have been a CCer for 3 years and still have to pay my council tax, am I missing something?

so you saying that anyone that is CC never uses or calls on the police etc or walks down the street at night. Just cos you living on a boat it doesnt stop u using the local areas that you are passing.

Where I work I don't pay council tax there but I still use the local services, when I go visit another place I'm using the services but not paying council tax there. A CCer doesn't live in the local area they are just simply a visitor.

Several things come to mind here. Who would you pay your C.T. to?

If you pay income tax you are contributing to the emergency services.

Not interested in the street lights, I can use my towpath torch. Mind, if we're paying C.T. there should be lighting on the towpath!

Tony

<snip>

Not interested in the street lights, I can use my towpath torch. Mind, if we're paying C.T. there should be lighting on the towpath!

Tony

Don't you dare ask your council to put those in!

Richard

Where I work I don't pay council tax there but I still use the local services, when I go visit another place I'm using the services but not paying council tax there. A CCer doesn't live in the local area they are just simply a visitor.

So you saying basicly sod everyone that is paying for it you laughing cos you going to use it for free and sod you all, sorry thats just like the people sitting on the unemployed say why should i work when i can get everyone that's paying their taxes pay me.

Sorry if it seams I am having a go at all CCers not meant to, its just gets me going when people think they have the right not to pay for something.

I thought the whole idea of being a CCer was to get away from the infrastructure and live as off grid as possible for a variety of reasons, except of course, for the waterway, for which you pay a licence fee.

Edited by Artimis

So you saying basicly sod everyone that is paying for it you laughing cos you going to use it for free and sod you all, sorry thats just like the people sitting on the unemployed say why should i work when i can get everyone that's paying their taxes pay me.

Sorry if it seams I am having a go at all CCers not meant to, its just gets me going when people think they have the right not to pay for something.

If I'm visiting your town would you expect me to be paying council tax there for the time I'm there? That's all a CCer is doing, basically visiting different areas, just because they don't have a home base is neither here or there. Of course if a CCer isn't CCing thats a different matter.

If I'm visiting your town would you expect me to be paying council tax there for the time I'm there? That's all a CCer is doing, basically visiting different areas, just because they don't have a home base is neither here or there. Of course if a CCer isn't CCing thats a different matter.

the point is that CCer dont pay any council tax where ever they are which I think its wrong. They should pay some sort of tax like the rest of us.

the point is that CCer dont pay any council tax where ever they are which I think its wrong. They should pay some sort of tax like the rest of us.

Thats the council tax system for you. It may be wrong but if you don't live in one place your not under a council, I'm just too young to remember the poll-tax but it sounded a fairer system.

That's the point.

Council tax is a property based tax. Charged to the owner or tennant of the property. Regardless of how many people are living in it.

The Poll tax was a person based taxed. Charged to each adult person living in a property.

To my mind the poll tax was fairer.