Things BW Provide (Some Places!) They Never Used To

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

The inevitable squabbling in the "self-pump out" thread has got me thinking.

OK for many years now, since tipping your poo in the canal was outlawed, BW have provided a somewhat variable network of "Elsan" facilities. If they did not, it's not hard to imagine what would happen. It's generally accepted you get these as part of what you pay for in your licence, even if you don't need them - even pump-out users, if miffed that cassette users get free facilities, would probably not like the alternative!

BW also provide water points - very essential - and again part of the deal if you buy a licence.

But until not that many years ago, that was about it, and any other facility would usually need a private provider.

However now a lot of money is spent at some of the more popular places providing boaters toilets, boaters showers, and possibly more.

Whilst it can be pleasant to have these, is it really sensible use of BW resource, though ? Most canal boats have some kind of toilet facility, and the lion's share also have showers and/or baths. With the best will in the world BW will never provide enough of these things that a boat can survive without these things, and you simply stop at one of these facilities whenever you need the loo, or a shower. :lol:

So whilst many of our locks, banks, bridges etc go unrepaired, (Cath badly twisted her ankle badly down a collapse in the towpath on a lock landing only a few days ago, and is still limping), is it really sensible use of BW's stretched resources to provide on land facilities that most cruising boats already carry around with them anyway ?

Your thoughts ?

I see where you are coming from Alan, but we have made great use of the BW facilities, i.e toilets and showers etc. that are made avaliable.Yes we have a toilet and a shower but our boat has small water and waste tanks so we try where possible to save the capacity we have for areas with few/no facilities provided by BW.

The standard of the facilities varies greatly from place to place but by far the best we have found have been the facilities block at Ripon.

I agree with Alan. In order of priority: (1) water points; (2) Sanitary facilities ie disposal points. Everything else is a luxury: years of family camping holidays have put me off public showers (if you see what I mean) and I'd always use the one on the boat by choice.

I agree too, and as money gets tighter I think we'll increasingly find these things closed when they fail, and not reopening.

However now a lot of money is spent at some of the more popular places providing boaters toilets, boaters showers, and possibly more.

Whilst it can be pleasant to have these, is it really sensible use of BW resource, though ? Most canal boats have some kind of toilet facility, and the lion's share also have showers and/or baths. With the best will in the world BW will never provide enough of these things that a boat can survive without these things, and you simply stop at one of these facilities whenever you need the loo, or a shower. :lol:

Your thoughts ?

I did suggest to some BW staff that they should look for Lottery funding for such facilities, particularly given that they could access sports funding. Towpaths are an excellent place for runners, one of my partner's sons telling me how useful it was to have mileposts along the route he was running so that he could check his pace. Taps for water meant he did not need to carry large amounts with him, and the chance of a shower at the end would make travelling home more comfortable, especially for other passengers if using public transport. He also felt safer running on the towpath as, besides lack of traffic, there were other users should you have a problem. BW could even get sports funding to replace missing mileposts. Given the cost of such facilities, surely it would be better to make them more widely available. Perhaps BW cold have have a runners licence, with those holding such a licence being able to purchase a BW toilet block key.

I agree too, and as money gets tighter I think we'll increasingly find these things closed when they fail, and not reopening.

Liverpool end of the leeds liverpool then.

- Burscobridge is out for the count because the developing on it.

- And the facilities at the junction closed to save the money on emptying the tank.

I think its difficult.

Clearly i cant prioritise a new shower block over repairing lockgate but i think it would be foolish to start closing up to many shower blocks just because the cash it a bit tight because i for one make use of the showers. Working boats dont have showers on them, and although emilyanne does, i would use a showerblock in favor where present, particularly if theres a few of us onboard because the watertanks on 80gallons and after four showers all you have do is fill it back up again.

The showers used to be pay-to-use but that was pulled, im not sure if that was the right decision, but the probably took enough to offset a decent slice of the inital outlay of most blocks in the years of £10 shower cards. i dont know.

Daniel

IMO plenty of Elsan and P/O points should be provided, paid for in the licence to encourage proper disposal of toilet waste, that has to be a priority, anything else is a luxury, if you have no shower on board it won't harm the environment, a strip wash will do. If people then want better facilities charge for it with a card system. As for electric hook up points unless an eco friendly method of charging your own batteries can be developed then they surely must be inevitable. Electric car charging points are unworkable because of the massive load on the system but ideal for canal boats as the load can be spread over several hours. Would only need a cable laying under the towpath with regularly spaced low amperage outlets which only allow a trickle charge high enough to recharge batts over a 24 hour period, enough to propel boat electrically a few miles to repeat the process. In this day and age I don't think we can't justify hours of cruising with an engine:)

Water taps essential...some of us still use watercans. Elsan disposal essential .....safe disposal of waste is a public health issue.

Shower blocks I like ,Plutos suggestion of sports funding seems a good one.

Edited by madcat

I think the main reason we got a full services block up here is because of the canoe club, the canoe and cycle hire place and also the caff. They need the full facilities and use them constantly.

We also got proper recycling bins because the caff needs them for thier cartons, cans and bottles.

Marina,s and hire bases should provide water point and elsan free of charge , showers ect also at a fair charge.

Why?

Marinsa have to pay for their water and also for their waste disposal, why give it passing boaters for free?

I call and buy fuel , i buy ices ,use the cafe and gift shop buy gas and coal ect more often at the places that allow me to take on water and use elsan ect.

Water and sewage disposal facilities are already installed at most of them places so its not like they will be hit with large bills to put them in.

BW have stated it is in the contract with the burscough stables development that new facilities be provided , they may be a replacment of those demolished and lost but any new build marina,s or bases could always take the costs of elsan and water provision into account when planning the business.

I call and buy fuel , i buy ices ,use the cafe and gift shop buy gas and coal ect more often at the places that allow me to take on water and use elsan ect.

Water and sewage disposal facilities are already installed at most of them places so its not like they will be hit with large bills to put them in.

BW have stated it is in the contract with the burscough stables development that new facilities be provided , they may be a replacment of those demolished and lost but any new build marina,s or bases could always take the costs of elsan and water provision into account when planning the business.

And the people who pay for berths in the marina, so are paying for the facilities provision in the marina, should just stand by and watch every tom dick and harry use their facilities for free?

Saul charge £3 for elsan. you'd be nuts to go in just for water given, if you've come from Gloucester you have to pass the marina, U turn, make a sharp right into the Stroudwater Canal, then a sharp right into the marina and either "borrow" someone's pier or sharp left to the quay.

I suspect, if you've parted with £60 on diesel then they wouldn't worry about Elsan and Water

And the people who pay for berths in the marina, so are paying for the facilities provision in the marina, should just stand by and watch every tom dick and harry use their facilities for free?

Marina moorers pay for the use of facilities , do they own them ? are they thier facilities ? . If marina dwellers wish to stand and watch elsans being emptied paid for or free they must feel free to do so but not what rocks my boat.

If i paid to moor in a marina instead of online i dont think i would object to others using the elsan or water for free .

I quite agree. At our marina there's a charge for occasional use of the elsan point, but moorers don'tl have to pay. Visitors would find it difficult to get water, though.

Marina moorers pay for the use of facilities , do they own them ? are they thier facilities ? . If marina dwellers wish to stand and watch elsans being emptied paid for or free they must feel free to do so but not what rocks my boat.

If i paid to moor in a marina instead of online i dont think i would object to others using the elsan or water for free .

Marina moorers as part of their berthing fees pay for the use, upkeep and cleaning of the facilities at their chosen marina. This is as part of their mooring contract. "Marina dwellers" dont to the best of my knowledge stand and watch or guard their marinas elsan point, certainly they dont where we moor, there is no need it is locked with a fob only moorers hold to gain access much the same as the other facilities on site. They are avaliable to visitors paying the £12 per night to use the visitor moorings but not to casual visitors using the shops, chandlery or diesel pump. This isnt such an unusual set up.

Doesnt anybody here agree on anything?

Nope - that's why it's called a discussion forum.

In this case I do agree with the implication of Alan's post ie that essential maintenance of the system should take priority over maintenace of things like facilities blocks.

I think in all the time I've hired I used a BW loo once, the one at Haweksbury - that was only because I was out with the dog and couldn't be bothered to walk back to the boat, if It hadn't have been there I would have just have had to walk back.

Jan on principle will noy use any of the canal side 'facilities' she never used site facilities all the years we were caravanners either.

So for me if it's fix a lock gate or fix a bog the gate gets my vote every time.

Nope - that's why it's called a discussion forum.

In this case I do agree with the implication of Alan's post ie that essential maintenance of the system should take priority over maintenace of things like facilities blocks.

I think in all the time I've hired I used a BW loo once, the one at Haweksbury - that was only because I was out with the dog and couldn't be bothered to walk back to the boat, if It hadn't have been there I would have just have had to walk back.

Jan on principle will noy use any of the canal side 'facilities' she never used site facilities all the years we were caravanners either.

So for me if it's fix a lock gate or fix a bog the gate gets my vote every time.

Ah there is a big difference between hired boats and your own though. When we hired we did all of our "business" onboard. Now we have our own boat, the onboard facilities are for number ones only (unless there is an emergency situation of course :lol:)

Ah there is a big difference between hired boats and your own though. When we hired we did all of our "business" onboard. Now we have our own boat, the onboard facilities are for number ones only (unless there is an emergency situation of course :lol:)

Not sure what you mean - the boat we are in the process of buying has exactly the same facilities (if a bit 'posher') than the boats we've hired.

Not sure what you mean - the boat we are in the process of buying has exactly the same facilities (if a bit 'posher') than the boats we've hired.

So does ours, however we prefer not to have ours smelling of sh*t on a regular basis, hence the use of the BW facilities or pub facilities (any excuse to get through the doors)