being a shorta*rs*

tonyb

Featured Posts

hi all, being a shorta*se 5'4'' i struggle to see clearly over the front end of my boat a 50f't cruiser, and not wishing to run about like a demented dog from side to side trying not to crush anyone else, i wondered if anyone else had this problem and could they tell me how they manage,i know of the dangers of sitting in the arch of the tiller so thought of having a small platform made any other idea's

tonyb

hi all, being a shorta*se 5'4'' i struggle to see clearly over the front end of my boat a 50f't cruiser, and not wishing to run about like a demented dog from side to side trying not to crush anyone else, i wondered if anyone else had this problem and could they tell me how they manage,i know of the dangers of sitting in the arch of the tiller so thought of having a small platform made any other idea's

tonyb

We have one of those fold up blue steps for shorter steerers. When not in use folds up and can be stored flat and out of the way.

(Also useful for getting older relatives in and out of landrover)

I dont know what you're complaining about :lol: At 5' 4" myself (well, almost) during my days in the Merchant service I commanded ships (tankers) over 300 metres in length from stem to stern without too much of a problem. I managed this without standing on an orange box :lol:. Back to the problem in hand, get yourself a good book. When you're not reading it you can stand on it :lol:

Albert.

Once again we have the same old moans and groans from people who, quite simply, didn't have the sense to grow a few more inches, when they were young.

When you are living in a constant state of concussion, through banging your head, getting in and out of the back cabin....when you are struggling to squeeze yourself into an engine hole...when you half kill yourself, being unable duck low enough, cycling under a bridgehole on the towpath, only then can you complain about your stumpiness.

tonyb

Side mirrors and a periscope? :lol:

(5' 3" demented dog)

Oh...I do have OH at front end with a walkie talkie when needed.

tonyb

Try having the boat shortened

I wasn't complaining, on the contary I'm very happy with my 'stumpiness' :lol:

Albert.

We talked about this very subject with the very nice lady at Crick selling the Aqualine boats. Both her and Jan my good lady were approx the same height. (Jan's family nick name is 'stumpy')

Seemingly she had used something akin to a caravan step to stand on but reverted to not using it as the surface area was so small that in certain certain circumstances it was more problematic than it was worth and ended up being something you were more likely to fall off or trip over.

On a more serious note, piloting a vessel where you cannot see the bow is a akin to driving a car with a long bonnet. You cannot actually see the front of the bonnet, but given time you gain the skill to park that vehicle without striking another object. So it is with boats/ships, you will know (gained with experience) where the bow of your vessel is in relation to your position on the helm. It's not necessary to be able to 'see' the front of your boat/ship (or car), you will know where it is (given time). :lol:

Albert.

It's all relative: I'm 6ft 1 and that doesn't necessarily make it any easier - I suspect standing on your stool alters your perspective on the front end by a very few degrees. You just have to learn to judge where the front of the boat is - I've found that the loud clang when you hit the lock gate or the chap on the Thames tupperware navy vessel waving frantically are both hints that a bit of reverse may be called for. On a full length boat clothed up and empty I can probably see less than you can on your level 50 footer, and just as you've got used to it some silly bugger loads it and all the parameters change.

Joking apart, as long as you're not too paranoid about contact with the bank, lock gates etc I would suggest that a few gentle nudges as you get the feel of where the front end lives is the best way to learn to judge.

Terms and conditions apply. The NBT does not advocate hitting lock gates or ramming the bank. View expressed here are not necessarily those of the NBT. The value of your boat may fall as well as rise according to market conditions. All calls are recorded for your comfort and safety. Please use the handrails provided.

Edited by twbm

I wasn't complaining, on the contary I'm very happy with my 'stumpiness' :lol:

Albert.

Me too. Clothes are cheaper for a start. Fancy people growing to such uneconomic sizes.

Richard

I'm 6'4" and on a 70ft boat l couldn't see the bow either. I reckon that as long as you can see the side(s) and the front of the cabin (or a mushroom vent near to the front) you'll be fine.

I can't get my relatives to join me on the boats.

In 27 years, I've yet to invite them.

It is interesting that this is a subject that pops up quite often yet another one is "I could never get used to centre/forward controls".

At 5'6" the only time it's really an issue for me is getting my widebeam through bridgeholes. I have a fixed bench on the stern which I tend to stand up on to get a better view as I approach. Although I still can't see the bow, I find this extra height really does help because from a higher perspective the lines of the coachroof handrails converge.

I think being short is generally beneficial on boats - apart from pulling women and then it doesn't help at all. :lol:

Edited by blackrose

tonyb

To try and answer the original question,

The boat dimensions do not change (collisions excepted), the length will be judge-able with experience, I can stop my bow within 6" of an obstruction/lock gate (sometimes :lol: )

If going through a gap (that you know is wide enough) just look down one side, if you really need to, and keep close that side, the other side will miss.

Being a notorious shorta*se too I find the following helpful.

Find child. Stand on her. Then you know where she is as you prepare to hit something.

Problem solved. In fairness, Ellen does object but not loudly as I weigh quite a bit too and breathing is tricky when your mother is standing on your ribcage.

I'm only 5'4 and we have a 70 footer. I don't really have a problem steering her, I can see the bow as we have quite a long front deck it can seat 3 each side so not rediculously long.

Steering through narrow bridges or locks I do move from side to side to check, but looking along the side of the boat it's easier to get the distance right than looking over the top.

As for running into things, lockgates are easy, just stop as soon as you pass the entry gates, and as for the bank, just go really slow as you get nearer so if you do touch there's no problem. You do nget used to the size of the boat pretty quickly.

My main problems come when turning at a junction and I'm not quite sure if I am going to hit the bridge / bank as I turn. Either get someone on the front to help, or just go really slow and do a few extra shuffles.

One thing we are very keen on is nothing on the roof except the pole, boathook and planks.

If you're short then flowers, bycycles and young ladies sunbathing just make things more difficult. Though if you put the young lady at the front of the roof lying on her back and corectly positioned, she could acts as a "gunsite" :lol:

Sue

I'm 5'3 and I guess I must just be used to it as I've never found it a problem. I don't expect to be able to see the front of the boat (on a cabined boat that is, whether Warrior (54' tug) or Tarporley (cabined big Northwich) - I use the front of the cabin as a line of sight. However, a small box to stand on can be good (I tried this out on a friend's 31-footer last week; she had custom made it to bring her to a comfortable steering height, it was only about 6" deep) or on a trad boat an extra thick step might be the answer. Having steered a big Woolwich with this I am thinking of having a similar set up on Chertsey. Even tall people seem to find it helpful and certainly not a handicap.

I'm 4'10" and I've been told I need a Pavarotti box...........?? In my younger days I owned a Capri and was known locally as "The Fringe" as thats all you could see over the steering wheel - never could see the front of the car come to think of it I've never been able to see the front of any car I've owned.

5'3" - your a giant sunshine :lol: