Anyone fancy a project?

Featured Posts

I have no connection with this boat, and there have been threads on another forum about it, but now it has been advertised on Ebay. If only i had time and money........ surely a good home can be found for her. It would be great to see this boat finally restored and back in the water.

CLICKY

Regards

Dan

A lovely boat and, considering the work that has gone into her, so far, a good price.

It is such a shame that Martin is no longer able to finish the project, he has put so much of his time and energy into.

would replacing the keel stone cost as much as replacing the whole bottoms do you think if done by a boat builder?

If you mean the keelson then it would cost much less, assuming the bottoms are sound, once you've removed the keelson.

Going back to my teenage years I was occasionaly involved in repairing wooden boats, purely as a labourer / enthusiastic nuisance I hasten to add, including Spey and lots of old NCB workboats optimistically bought for conversion to cruisers. Unless you have considerable experience of working with big bits of wood, including bending, steaming and shaping, a considerable amount of spare cash and even more spare time then this is not for you. I remember to this day the effort involved in removing a 'rotten' side plank - it took four days to split it out from between the huge nails holding the bottom planks on.

I hope the boat goes to good home but the danger is it will be bought by someone who just sees it as a cheap deal on a full length boat.

would replacing the keel stone cost as much as replacing the whole bottoms do you think if done by a boat builder?

Assuming the bottom planks are sound, it would cost the price of a new kelson and new bottom rather than just part kelson.

Edited to add: Oh, carlt t just said that ...

Edited by twbm

It was offered to Jem Bates cheap and he was not interested, that must tell you all something. Whilst there is no doubting Martin and Chris's fantastic enthusiasm and PR skills I am somewhat dubious about other more practical elements of the 'project'. It needed complete new bottoms/kelson when it left Stretton I understand and I often wondered why the bottoms were not done in conjuction with the chines but I am a know nothing.

It was offered to Jem Bates cheap and he was not interested, that must tell you all something.

It tells me that wooden boats have no resale value and Jem makes his money restoring other people's boats, not buying a boat that is sat in a private garden, transporting it back to his yard, doing the necessary work to get it back in the water, then selling it at a fraction of the profit, he would have made, if he charged someone, for doing the same work to their boat.

It tells me that wooden boats have no resale value and Jem makes his money restoring other people's boats, not buying a boat that is sat in a private garden, transporting it back to his yard, doing the necessary work to get it back in the water, then selling it at a fraction of the profit, he would have made, if he charged someone, for doing the same work to their boat.

I think that wooden boats do have a resale value, but only for a very short time, whilst they look pristine and people think they are buying a piece of heritage without truly understanding what is involved. but also, I am a firm believer that there are more wooden boat restorers than Jem Bates who are:

cheaper

not as busy

not as many projects on their hands

dunno, just a thought.

edited to finish typing!!!

Edited by stagedamager

I think that wooden boats do have a resale value, but only for a very short time, whilst they look pristine and people think they are buying a piece of heritage without truly understanding what is involved. but also, I am a firm believer that there are more wooden boat restorers than Jem Bates who are:

cheaper

not as busy

not as many projects on their hands

dunno, just a thought.

edited to finish typing!!!

Looking pristine hasn't sold Ian yet.

There are certainly more wooden boat restorers than Jem some cheaper, some dearer, most not as busy, but most don't buy boats with a view to restoring them and making a profit.

There are certainly more wooden boat restorers than Jem some cheaper, some dearer, most not as busy, but most don't buy boats with a view to restoring them and making a profit.

that is a valid point, but this is always the problem and has been repeated before, you will never get the money back you invest in a wooden boat, no matter how hard you try, and as long as you accept that, then Ian will find a buyer, but not at the advertised price.

i totally agree that wooden boat restorers don't buy boats to restore and make profit, because where would the immediate income come from to pay for it, however, i feel almost this is an exception, as was Arcturus and Sirius, which i hope resurface again soon form the depths of the aylesbury arm, although can you use depth and aylesbury arm in the same sentence?????

regards

Dan

I think in some ways Ian is quite a challenge to a buyer.

The under cloth conversion is neither one thing nor another. It's not cloths because it has wooden sides, but it's not a cabin because it has a cloth roof.

The exterior is wonderful, but I'm not sold on the interior

Richard

Pictures here at Warwickshire Fly Boat

that is a valid point, but this is always the problem and has been repeated before, you will never get the money back you invest in a wooden boat, no matter how hard you try, and as long as you accept that, then Ian will find a buyer, but not at the advertised price.

So will Heatherbelle, I hope.

Heatherbelle is an exception because she is percieved, by many, as being worth restoring...but not , sadly, worth money.

Hardy was 90% restored, in the water, with a JP2 in the engine room and sold for a fraction of what an equivalent rivetted boat would make.

The exterior is wonderful, but I'm not sold on the interior

Pictures here at Warwickshire Fly Boat

It's essentially a blank cavas, inside.

The wooden undercloth conversion could be taken down in a day, if required, and is a clean space to start a fitout, if preferred.

Heatherbelle is an exception because she is percieved, by many, as being worth restoring...but not , sadly, worth money.

Hardy was 90% restored, in the water, with a JP2 in the engine room and sold for a fraction of what an equivalent rivetted boat would make.

and isn't that a real shame, that because its made of wood, its not really perceived to be worth anything but a generic knackered mass produced motor could come round the corner and bounce the decimal point to the right, even in poor condition! i really hope she finds a good home, ideally i'll win the lottery this week and decisions will be so much easier!!!

There is somebody going to see her today so it might be gone,apparently as said in the advert some of the bottoms need replacing some do not.His internet connection is down, so he has to get messages relayed by the way.

Is the hull of ian fairly sound or does the paint work flatter it do you think?

Is the hull of ian fairly sound or does the paint work flatter it do you think?

Ian has its problems but the hull is fairly sound but it is an oldish rebuild (not complete) ready for more work.

I think the paintwork certainly flatters it but, has as been said before, looks are everything, if you're trying to sell and nothing, if you're planning to keep the boat forever.

It's nice to know that Heatherbell may be finding a home. It means I can still concentrate my lottery win on Kingfisher...

Just for the record the name of this boat is well documented as HEATHER BELL, my references being Charles Nurser's 'black book', health registration Worcester 211, B.C.N. gauge table 1968, B.C.N. gauge table 2253.