Motion Sickness

owenk

Featured Posts

I went on a school cruise in the med many years ago. We landed ion Venice in the snow in feb, first time they had seen snow in 5 years they said.

Anyway we were on the way to Khios (I think) and overnight had a storm. I then learnt I get really seasick.

Morning broke, we were moored just off the island and the message came round that they weren't sure we would be able to go ashore. I still remember the horror at the thought of not getting off that dam boat. They relented and we went ashore, but the whole time we were there the island was leaping up and down and rocking something terrible.

No relief there then, but once back on the ship things calmed down fine.

That's why I like canals rather then the sea, no lumps (in general).

The same effect happens now when we have been cruising for a while. If we leave the boat for a pub meal I always notice it most when I go to the loo. why don't they put the loos in canal side pubs on solid ground rather than on something wobbly.

Never happens when I'm sitting at a table eating, must be cos my attention is on the food then, more to concentrate on takes your mind off the non-existant motion.

Sue

Guest wanted

I used to get the wobbles when we first moved aboard, I quite enjoyed it (man :lol: ) but sadly I got used to it and it only happens if I spend a long period on dry land.

we were the same when we first started boating, upon coming home we would stand in the kitchen "swaying" to try and stop feeling sick....wierd you would think it would be the other way around.

It just stopped after a while and we dont get it anymore.....chin up :lol: :lol:

Didn't use to feel odd immediately, and could walk to the station, but when I stood and tried to take a pee, I thought the whole world was rocking.

So the ladies dont have this problem?

. I go into town for some bits and pieces and I end up walking into buildings :lol:

SWMBO has this problem. The buildings she walks into are called "shops"

I always notice it most when I go to the loo. why don't they put the loos in canal side pubs on solid ground rather than on something wobbly.

Never happens when I'm sitting at a table eating, must be cos my attention is on the food then, more to concentrate on takes your mind off the non-existant motion.

Sue

So it does happen to the ladies! :lol:

What is your mind on when in the loo then? :lol:

From my old diving doctor friend....

It's quite common and it's psychological.

When you go onto a boat your mind expects it to be moving. So whilst the signals from your inner ear, liquid in your stomach slopping around and the information from your eyes don't all match, your mind expects this and subconsciously compensates for it. The relatively rare inability for the mind to compensate in this manner is one of the common causes of motion sickness.

When you get off the boat, all the information now matches but your mind is still compensating for the conflicitng information. But because on dry land it doesn't expect it to happen, it doesn't expect to have to do anything out of the ordinary so it can take a few days to settle down and stop compensating.

Apparently a rapid sugar boost can help (something to do with speeding nerve impulses up or summat) which is why some people find a brew and butty can help (it makes no difference whether there is sugar in the brew).

It does get better with time (though I enjoy it as it makes me feel like I'm still on the boat).

Just what I was told.

Makes sense and it doesn't just apply to motion. When I was a kid we had this really trendy lightweight cutlery. When we went on holiday we never noticed the cutlery was any heavier (subconsciously expecting things to be different) but when we came back the stuff at home seemed to float in the air when we picked it up (subconsciously expecting it to be familiar).

Used to get the symptoms described an awful lot with our first boat; don't know whether that was because it was a new experience or because it moved a lot. Still do now, but only if we've been aboard for a long time.

So the ladies dont have this problem?

Actually, I was going to mention that. That's when I notice it most, when I get home, sit on the loo and look at the floor.

That's why I like canals rather then the sea, no lumps (in general).

The lumpy bits are the fun bits :lol:

Actually, I was going to mention that. That's when I notice it most, when I get home, sit on the loo and look at the floor.

You beat me too it, although i sometimes notice it in the pub after being aboard, so that could be put down to the drink :lol:

we were the same when we first started boating, upon coming home we would stand in the kitchen "swaying" to try and stop feeling sick....wierd you would think it would be the other way around.

It just stopped after a while and we dont get it anymore.....chin up :lol: :lol:

Ditto - had exactly the same experience. First went we went on a ship for a week a few years ago - no motion sickness at all whilst onboard, but for 4 or 5 days after we got back on dry land I felt I was going 'up and down' whilst walking around and the same whilst sat still!

Been a liveaboard on out narrowboat for 7 months now and still experience it occasionally but mainly when we've been cruising for a full day. I've just got used to the feeling and find I don't need as many glasses of vino to experience that tipsy feeling!

My OH thought I was imagining things to begin with but I was victorious when finally after a few months aboard he admitted that he had the same experience from time to time!

It'll get better with time, I promise :lol:

New to boating and experience absolutely no sensation of movement whilst on the boat, but after a weekend away I often get a queasy swaying feeling on the Monday (or in this case the Tuesday) when sat back at my desk.

The official term is "Leg lag" - we invented it years ago - it's in the dictionary (on our laptops) - so if you start using "leg lag", in time people will know what you're talking about - well, we will anyway.

The lumpy bits are the fun bits :lol:

You beat me too it, although i sometimes notice it in the pub after being aboard, so that could be put down to the drink :lol:

I never sit on the loo in pubs.

The official term is "Leg lag" - we invented it years ago - it's in the dictionary (on our laptops) - so if you start using "leg lag", in time people will know what you're talking about - well, we will anyway.

I am certain that 'Leg Lag' is a term coined by Spike Milligan in one of the Goon Shows, although I cannot remember which one so I will have to listen to them all again!!! Curses.......... :lol:

Ditchdabbler

When I first got my widebeam I was quite surprised by the reduced roll compared to a narrow boat. It's much less affected by the wind and passing boats. One downside of that is if I'm onboard and someone steps onto my boat quietly there's a fair chance I wouldn't notice.

Edited by blackrose

Whilst on the subject of motion sickness, has anyone got any recommendations for seasickness tablets/remedies that work?

We dont think we will have a problem with the dreaded ailment but better to be safe than sorry.

I'm told Sturgeon tablets work.

I always take them, if single handing, but, as I've never been sea sick, I can't really say if they're effective, or not.

Neither of us have ever been seasick, however for our first few trips out we thought we would take some tablets just to be on the safe side. No point ruining a good trip.