A thank you to this forum

Dominic M

Featured Posts

Directly as result of contact through this forum I have just sold a boat through my brokerage. I feel I should give something back in return. So I want to donate £100 to a waterways' related charity/trust.

But which? I am a member of the Cotswold Canals Trust for example. But there are plenty of other deserving causes.

Perahps the owner, Daniel should nominate. If Daniel gives me a choice I will go with that. Or else popular choice. If the latter, then with a cut off point of Friday 23rd April, 8pm.

Dominic

Directly as result of contact through this forum I have just sold a boat through my brokerage. I feel I should give something back in return. So I want to donate £100 to a waterways' related charity/trust.

But which? I am a member of the Cotswold Canals Trust for example. But there are plenty of other deserving causes.

Perahps the owner, Daniel should nominate. If Daniel gives me a choice I will go with that. Or else popular choice. If the latter, then with a cut off point of Friday 23rd April, 8pm.

Dominic

Dominic,

Why not donate it to Dan and then he can pay for the site hosting fee for this year?

Jill

Dominic,

Why not donate it to Dan and then he can pay for the site hosting fee for this year?

Jill

Excellent idea - esp as there was talk of inviting donations or finding other funding to keep up the good work just a few days back.

I second that - we all use the forum for free and get much from it. Your good fortune could help to make sure we go on enjoying the real benefit.

Edited by Paul Evans

How about if anyone who DOESN'T think donating it to support the Forum is a great idea answers with their alternative between now and Friday 8pm ....otherwise SILENCE IS (positive) CONSENT.

either that or a poll.

How about if anyone who DOESN'T think donating it to support the Forum is a great idea answers with their alternative between now and Friday 8pm ....otherwise SILENCE IS (positive) CONSENT.

either that or a poll.

Hi Quebec

Apart from being frustrated that you have found a way to add an acute accent to your "e" in Quebec when I can't on this forum's word processor :lol: , I would have set up a poll. But I realised that in doing so other worthy causes would have leapt up and said, "You left me out, grrrrrr", and I am not an encyclopaedia of waterways' trusts and charities, and I certainly do not want to exclude anyone. So I left it open.

Edited by Dominic M

....Apart from being frustrated that you have found a way to add an acute accent to your "e" in Quebec when I can't on this forum's word processor :lol: ,

:lol: If you're using a PC then it's ALT+CONTROL+E

Just checking....éééé...yup, that works

Edited by Québec

He'll probably suggest OPT + the letter you want - but he could be wrong. Haven't got a Mac (shame, I know) so can't try it out for myself.

Well, sort of - try typing alt e followed by e to get the é !

But not on a Mac. I'll send an email to Steve Jobs forthwith!!

You mean you are waiting for the big bang?

Yes, any day soon I reckon, so thanks for the date and time!

I would like to see Dan recieve the donation.
Excellent idea - esp as there was talk of inviting donations or finding other funding to keep up the good work just a few days back.

I do not intend to make a profit from the forum but in light of the fact it does cost money to run, both in hosting and software fee's, and that people have in the past have offered donations towards these costs which i have previously declined, i have indeed considered the possibility of setting up a method of accepting and accounting for voluntary donations towards the running of the forum, with any short term excess being being put to one side until needed, possibility with the potential to use it as float for the purchase of a order of t'shirts or similar.

Hence if it is the consensus of the forum that the money should go into funding the forum itself, and if Dominic is happy to make to donation to the forum, would in be happy and honored to receive it on the forums behalf.

I think if there where to be the case i would keep public record of the donation with any further donations, along side publication of the forum expenses, as and when they occur such that the forums 'accounts' be transparent to members.

Daniel

Hi Quebec

Apart from being frustrated that you have found a way to add an acute accent to your "e" in Quebec when I can't on this forum's word processor :lol: , I would have set up a poll. But I realised that in doing so other worthy causes would have leapt up and said, "You left me out, grrrrrr", and I am not an encyclopaedia of waterways' trusts and charities, and I certainly do not want to exclude anyone. So I left it open.

See

www.19.5degs.com/element/680.php

Mike

I do not intend to make a profit from the forum but in light of the fact it does cost money to run, both in hosting and software fee's, and that people have in the past have offered donations towards these costs which i have previously declined, i have indeed considered the possibility of setting up a method of accepting and accounting for voluntary donations towards the running of the forum, with any short term excess being being put to one side until needed, possibility with the potential to use it as float for the purchase of a order of t'shirts or similar.

Hence if it is the consensus of the forum that the money should go into funding the forum itself, and if Dominic is happy to make to donation to the forum, would in be happy and honored to receive it on the forums behalf.

I think that would be an axcellent idea - personally I have benefitted enormously from the forums and would be very pleased to see donations going towards the site costs. Running forums like this can be a pretty thankless task, so if some of the financial costs can be mitigated then all to the good!

Hi Quebec

Apart from being frustrated that you have found a way to add an acute accent to your "e" in Quebec when I can't on this forum's word processor

I just go to a French site and cut and paste my acutes, graves and stuff.

I have got an azerty computer but, as it is an Amstrad PCW9512, I imagine it would have rather bigger issues than fiddly bits over letters, when dealing with the modern world.

Edited to add....Dan gets my vote too.

And a vote from me for Dominics's splendid donation to go to Dan for CWDF.

Seems unanimous so far (possibly unlike 6 May will be I suspect).

(Do we also have to vote for the methods of producing an é?)

Richard