Tempted.............

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

We where approached by the marina owner yesterday asking if our boat is for sale. He offered us a figure of £42k for cash or £45k trade in which isnt bad considering we paid £38k over 18 months ago and have had some good use from her. They apparently have a waiting list of people wanting S23/S25's. This doesnt suprise us as we where approached last time we went to the Pyewipe by a fella offering to buy her.

Is it bad that we are tempted?

We where approached by the marina owner yesterday asking if our boat is for sale. He offered us a figure of £42k for cash or £45k trade in which isnt bad considering we paid £38k over 18 months ago and have had some good use from her. They apparently have a waiting list of people wanting S23/S25's. This doesnt suprise us as we where approached last time we went to the Pyewipe by a fella offering to buy her.

Not at all - grab it while you can and buy a narrow boat!

That way you may never need to deal with the same temptation again . . .

p,

Interesting, would this offer be free of brokerage charges?.

Makes you wonder what the guy would sell it on for?.

Leo.

That's an awful lot cheaper than I would expect.

Me too, which rings alarm bells :lol:

p,

Interesting, would this offer be free of brokerage charges?.

Makes you wonder what the guy would sell it on for?.

Leo.

As we understand it there would be no fees, it would either be a cash sale or a trade in against a stock boat.

Seems they are becoming popular now Sealine have stopped making them.

Deep and philosophical thoughts (should that be Phylosophical?)

What do you want out of a boat? From your descriptions of your cruises it appears that Cal is everything you want, she is fast, comfortable and moored where you can make use of her on rivers and at sea (and the mooring could be changed anyway).

You two are not going to give up boating, you've hired, looked around for a boat, settled on Cal, so she will be replaced,with what? Will the extra money buy you the boat you want? Would it be better than Cal?

We are selling Ripple (in the medium term) as she is no longer "fit for purpose". I bought her when I was single and could canal bash and maintain to my hearts content. Now married and mortgaged she is stuck on the Severn and it's feeder waterways and both cost and my work on her are becoming an albatross. She has narrowed our boating horizons (if you'll pardon the pun) and we want to broaden them again.

It's alright to be tempted, but money isn't everything, to trade Cal in and then buy a less satisfactory boat on the proceeds would not be a good move.

As an example, we went to look at a Wilderness Beaver recently, if you read the thread you will see I thought it was overpriced. When I saw another one, newer, in better condition, with a trailer, for 2k less, I KNEW it was overpriced (we didn't buy that one either, a small issue with the house got in the way). But the owner was selling two boats. They'd had the Beaver for ten years, and always longed for a narrow boat. They'd bought the NB, and found that, although it had more room, it "wasn't the same" and had both boats for sale. One would sell first and they would keep the other. Given the prices (22k for a good 38 foot nb) I'm sure they'd loaded the odds in favour of keeping the beaver. You might find yourself taking the money, buying another boat and wishing you hadn't.

Hope that helps

£1.6 million, great rolling waves of specs, and then...

"Bose system in all cabins"

What really impresses me about these guys is that they really know their market - outside the military, this must be the zenith of LOMBARD.

R

If you have the ability to raise the difference I would say trade it for a bigger boat, only squeeze a bit more out of him on the PX or cash deal, if this has really been offered spontaneously, there is a deal to be done.....

If you don't have the ability to comfortably raise the difference... walk away.

I don't get it. Surely the potential £4k profit is just background noise. If you like the boat you have, then keep it. It costs £4k-ish to change boats in brokerage fees and other frictional costs, never mind the disruption and time involved.

Besides, if the marina owner is offering you £42k for it you can bet there is a hefty wedge still in it for him, which means it is a less than great deal for you however tempting it appears at first sight.

In fact I'm surprised at you even considering this Phylis. You seem sharp as needles most of the time. Wake up!

Cheers, Mike

We think for now we are going to stick with Cal. Better the devil you know and all that.

Certainly with the trips we have planned for this year we wouldnt consider them in a new (to us) boat that we didnt know all of its quirks and oddities.

So for now its sorted. Cal is staying a little longer yet.

We think for now we are going to stick with Cal. Better the devil you know and all that.

Good move, imo.

She obviously suits your needs and tastes and, if there's a jump in value, at this time, you may well have a boat that will achieve clssic status, in the GRP world, and she may well be worth even more, when the economy is a bit more stable.

Good move, imo.

She obviously suits your needs and tastes and, if there's a jump in value, at this time, you may well have a boat that will achieve clssic status, in the GRP world, and she may well be worth even more, when the economy is a bit more stable.

Its not all about the money (although it is nice to know you own something that is going up in value).

We pretty much know her mechanically inside out, know her previous history from start to finish and can vouch for her service history. We fell lucky with her in the first instance and to throw that away on an unknown boat would just be the wrong desicion for us at this moment in time.

Still it was a nice thought whilst it lasted :lol: