Moving the boat

Water Woman

Featured Posts

I wonder if I can pick the brains and ideas of others yet again.

I need to move my boat from the K and A to the Shroppie in a few weeks time. I have tried to get time off work to do it myself but this is looking less and less likely. I have looked at pulling her out of the water and moving her by road... very expensive. I have spoken to a couple of professional boat movers who would charge me as much as going by road. I have a friend or two who have said they may be able to do it for me but they are not that experienced and...well, I don't know if that is a plan.

The trip is going to take the best part of three weeks. Has anyone got any thoughts? Feel free to PM me.

thanks

Have you checked on canal planner the best route re tmings that suit you and with suitable stopping / mooring points?

3 weeks seems rather long (without checking) -

Depending in actual timings I might be available to assist for a few days as "crew" -

let me know how yr plans progress

cheers

Having not done the K&A or anything south of Cow Roast before I would suggest that the quickest route would be across to the Thames and then up to Oxford. From there I would then go up the Oxford, onto the GU, across through Birmingham and then onto the Shropshire Union via Wolverhampton.

I reckon 3 weeks is probably too much time to be honest. I would go with two weeks to begin with and get the boat as far north as possible if you can't make it all of the way, it would then be easier to weekend it, or move the boat in your free time to the final destination.

I need to move my boat from the K and A to the Shroppie in a few weeks time. I have tried to get time off work to do it myself but this is looking less and less likely. I have looked at pulling her out of the water and moving her by road... very expensive. I have spoken to a couple of professional boat movers who would charge me as much as going by road. I have a friend or two who have said they may be able to do it for me but they are not that experienced and...well, I don't know if that is a plan.

The trip is going to take the best part of three weeks. Has anyone got any thoughts? Feel free to PM me.

thanks

Sounds like a cracking way for someone (who you trust) to get a couple of weeks free holiday.....

thanks

Where are you on the K&A?

It took me 3 weeks to get from Devizes on the K&A to Birmingham.

thanks

can you move it at weekends? I know Mary P manages to cover a lot of ground by moving in her spare time/days....

Several pro. boat movers advertise in the boatimags, and at least one is a member of this forum. In my experience it's a bit cheaper by water than by road (I have used both modes in the last 12 months).. Boatshop.uk (Loretta Hardie) offer this service too.

Depending where you are on the K&A it would probably be quicker to go via Bristol and Gloucester, assuming you (and the boat) are prepared for the tidal passage.

David

Must admit I was too much of a coward to do this option, though it would be quicker.

:lol:

Weekend it yourself. One advantage of the rail network is that it's generally close to canals, so shuttling is quite feasible (ie back to where you left the car).

We did Langley to Macclesfield a couple of years back in four long weekends. Great trip, especially if you get half decent weather in March/April !

Weekend it yourself. One advantage of the rail network is that it's generally close to canals, so shuttling is quite feasible (ie back to where you left the car).

We did Langley to Macclesfield a couple of years back in four long weekends. Great trip, especially if you get half decent weather in March/April !

Agree with machpoint005. Do it in managable chunks over a series of weekends. The likes of Nicholsons will tell you where the nearest rail stations are, and with a bit of planning and some log days and early mornings you should be able to do it. Sounds a fun challenge! We have done this in the past when the boat has had to be moved over large distances and work/family committments have been in the way.

Thank you everyone. The weekend thing sounds a plan and then see how I go. I am still looking at the option of a couple of friends breaking the back of it once I get a bit far to come back for work. I would love to do it in one hit but I will need some time off before I start my new job up there. I am excited by the prospect of a bit of a mix n match journey with various crew members hopping on and off!!

thanks

hi.

im pip, just wondered if you still need to move your boat ?

ive tried to PM you but the site wont let me at the mo.

cheers

Weekend it yourself, I've done this a couple of times, and its a fantastic experience, you'll be a seasoned boater by the end of it :lol: Probably.

Its fairly easy to organise, and work out where you need to be each time, always someone will help with big lock flights and transport, I found :lol: Also if you start early and finish late, eat on the move, you can get a real fair distance in a weekend. I used to arrive on Friday night, mostly, so I could kick off at 6am ish and keep moving until late, even 10-11pm, but I wouldn't advocate locking in the dark, particularly on your own, although I have done it.

Good luck with it :lol: