Oxford Canal

Ray T

Featured Posts

I reckon if you can still see the top of the gunwales then it's not really sunk.

Official opinion needed from Carl, but at least it's being pumped.

It was really sunk, you couldn't see the cabin roof.

Edited to say

Sorry I got the wrong boat,I thought it was the one on the Puddle Bank, Braunston

Edited by ditchcrawler

If it's on the bottom then it's sunk. The boat isn't responsible for the lack of dredging. :lol:

I recognise the pump and the owner knows what he's doing (I gave him my pumps when I moved ashore) so I'm not too worried.

Whereabouts is it, exactly?

3208977915_66790c112d_b.jpg

what she should look like,

when she was stranded below the Watford Flight for the whole of last winter as she had expanded widthways and couldn't go through narrow locks any more.

I was amazed she got out of Appletree. She'd been sat at Ian Staples' for so long, with that cabin weighing down on her gunwales that there are tighter pinches than Watford, I didn't think she'd get through.

• 2 months later...
Is that Gary's boat? I am sure a book has been wriiten about the Lichfield?

Lichfield has now been craned out and is awaiting being broken up.

At least I hope she's still there, I'm hoping to have a look before she's gone for good.

Lichfield has now been craned out and is awaiting being broken up.

At least I hope she's still there, I'm hoping to have a look before she's gone for good.

Cant we save her Carl?? I would like to help?? What do u think? I can travel no problems.

Cant we save her Carl?? I would like to help?? What do u think? I can travel no problems.

From what I'm told she wasn't lifted too gently and is beyond repair.

To be honest, if I was in the position to rescue a narrow boat, Usk would still be afloat.

There are plenty of big Rickies, afloat, out there that are savable projects so, one in pieces, on the hard, is not going to stir many people into action.

To be honest, if I was in the position to rescue a narrow boat, Usk would still be afloat.

There are plenty of big Rickies, afloat, out there that are savable projects so, one in pieces, on the hard, is not going to stir many people into action.

Wheres Gary? Why has he left it? I mean I am fixing up my boat! I would NOT leave her to rot! I know it isn't easy-I am not sure how to even get the engine going at this stage!! But I will not abandon the boat, no way-The trouble is I have no idea how or if I can get the engine started but I wont give up-

Where is the Lichfield? I would love to take a look-Is it near Hillmorton? I thought it was famous as it was a hotel boat, I think? Cant we do something about these lost boats-cant we atleast put her somewhere-is it that bad? When u say its out of the water where is she? cheers Carl.

Wheres Gary? Why has he left it? I mean I am fixing up my boat! I would NOT leave her to rot! I know it isn't easy-I am not sure how to even get the engine going at this stage!! But I will not abandon the boat, no way-The trouble is I have no idea how or if I can get the engine started but I wont give up-

Where is the Lichfield? I would love to take a look-Is it near Hillmorton? I thought it was famous as it was a hotel boat, I think? Cant we do something about these lost boats-cant we atleast put her somewhere-is it that bad? When u say its out of the water where is she? cheers Carl.

I don't know Gary (I don't think) so I can't answer the first question.

There are many reasons why wooden boats get abandoned, perhaps he went to Australia :lol: . A wooden boat that has had no maintenance, for decades, does not stay afloat for long, unattended. You were lucky, having a metal boat, but it still sank, and you had your problems with BW, to.

If you want to save a wooden boat, first find your hardstanding (the owner of the site, where she is, may be up for renting you the space), then find around 200 cubes of oak, planked and ready to go in (Lichfield has sat at Appletree for decades, with the minimum of maintenance, don't expect to save a single plank), build your steam box, get all the tools associated with boat building, buy hundreds of spikes, bolts and oakum (a 6 inch galvanised spike will cost about 50p) another load of oak, cut for shearing, rolls of sheathing felt (if you can find it) loads of tar, pitch and bitumen and you're ready to go.

I reckon the above (rent excluded) should set you back around £12k.

I don't know Gary (I don't think) so I can't answer the first question.

There are many reasons why wooden boats get abandoned, perhaps he went to Australia :lol: . A wooden boat that has had no maintenance, for decades, does not stay afloat for long, unattended. You were lucky, having a metal boat, but it still sank, and you had your problems with BW, to.

If you want to save a wooden boat, first find your hardstanding (the owner of the site, where she is, may be up for renting you the space), then find around 200 cubes of oak, planked and ready to go in (Lichfield has sat at Appletree for decades, with the minimum of maintenance, don't expect to save a single plank), build your steam box, get all the tools associated with boat building, buy hundreds of spikes, bolts and oakum (a 6 inch galvanised spike will cost about 50p) another load of oak, cut for shearing, rolls of sheathing felt (if you can find it) loads of tar, pitch and bitumen and you're ready to go.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!! humm 12k-boy I see-wow thats amazing-I know its quite difficult-is it on hardstanding now? Does it have to be oak? I mean I can see the aesthetics of authenticity but does it NEED to cost this much?-Is there a cheaper modern equivalent? Does it HAVE to be traditional? Is the engine any good?? How bad is it?

I think I last saw the Lichfield towards Braunston?

Rich Americans out there?? Is there any one who could simply store these boats and we could work out a plan of salvage-alright to say I suppose-Just very sad-these are historic and should be rescued!!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!! humm 12k-boy I see-wow thats amazing-I know its quite difficult-is it on hardstanding now? Does it have to be oak? I mean I can see the aesthetics of authenticity but does it NEED to cost this much?-Is there a cheaper modern equivalent? Does it HAVE to be traditional? Is the engine any good?? How bad is it?

I think I last saw the Lichfield towards Braunston?

Rich Americans out there?? Is there any one who could simply store these boats and we could work out a plan of salvage-alright to say I suppose-Just very sad-these are historic and should be rescued!!

Yes it's on hardstanding (if it hasn't already been broken up).

I didn't know whether it had an engine, or not.

You could use boatskin Larch, as a cheaper alternative but, in my experience, it doesn't fare well in fresh water.

Tropical alternatives are not much cheaper than oak and are harder to work.

If authenticity isn't an issue then using 1.5" planks, rather than 2" would be the best way of reducing the bill. You could use tinplate and scaffold planks but I don't think BW would let it back in the water, without a sensible plan.

My estimates are regarded by many as too low, btw.

The best way of storing them is to sink them, but BW don't approve.

Yes it's on hardstanding (if it hasn't already been broken up).

I didn't know whether it had an engine, or not.

You could use boatskin Larch, as a cheaper alternative but, in my experience, it doesn't fare well in fresh water.

Tropical alternatives are not much cheaper than oak and are harder to work.

If authenticity isn't an issue then using 1.5" planks, rather than 2" would be the best way of reducing the bill. You could use tinplate and scaffold planks but I don't think BW would let it back in the water, without a sensible plan.

My estimates are regarded by many as too low, btw.

The best way of storing them is to sink them, but BW don't approve.

When I come up to view the Victoria I could have a look if it is near by-where is it again Carl?

I suspect it was lifted fairly carefully, but is certainly very rotten, behind the galvanised sheet overplate.

We'll be there at the weekend, free cuppa still on offer! :lol:

PC

I am afraid Lichfield has been in a bad way for a while, although it was being worked on these pics were taken last Oct. We have had a really bad winter since then

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0110-1.jpg

IMG_0111-1.jpg

It is always sad to see a boat in this position.

Pictures taken Braunston side of Hillmorton locks Oct 2009

Simplified wooden narrowboat diagram here (PDF)

I found myself in rural northern France with an empty Transit a couple of years ago. So, caving in easily to one of my many weaknesses, made for the nearest timber yard. It seems that oak is plentiful in northern France, and there are also plenty of small, family-run sawmills ready to sell it off at less than half the UK price.

I picked up about half a cubic metre of dry oak in stick for around £250, which I reckon is in the region of £15 per cube. Granted this was mostly 26mm boards, too thin for narrowboat building, but they had meatier stuff lying around. You have to haggle, and they were worryingly open to accidentally forgetting about VAT in return for crumpled notes. Fortunately, customs didn't ask for a receipt - they just wanted to know if I had any stowaways.

So, if you can transport several tons of oak over or under the Channel, you might be able to shave a little off the 12K.