Leeds & Liverpool Canal-Skipton

Dalesman

Featured Posts

From this weeks Craven Herald:

Skipton town centre leaders have sought to reassure the boating community after claims that young criminals were turning the Leeds-Liverpool Canal into a “no go area”.

The town council and Chamber of Trade have joined forces to play down reports that canal boat owners have begun spurning Skipton after being targeted by teenage hooligans.

The rebuttals came after one of the main organisers of the town’s annual Waterways Festival, Pamela Clarke, said boat owners had told her they were fearful of stopping in Skipton because of trouble from local youths.

And she said victims were reluctant to make reports to police for fear of reprisals.

Her comments came in the wake of moves to mount high-visibility police patrols on the canal towpath to combat crimes that have included narrowboats being cast adrift, vandalism and a spate of thefts from decks.

But Dave Parker, chief officer of Skipton Town Council, said negative perceptions of the canal in Skipton were unjustified. “We are very concerned that the impression is being given that every boat stopping off in Skipton will be subjected to attacks from so-called ‘thugs’,” he said.

“Clearly this is most definitely not the case and to brand Skipton as a no-go area is, frankly, ludicrous and blowing the situation out of all proportion.

“There have been a number of isolated incidents and, unfortunately, even a small number of such reports can do serious harm to Skipton’s economy.

“The problem needs to be dealt with and I am sure our colleagues in the police will have this in hand – and the town council will do everything it can to assist.”

Joan Evans, president of Skipton Chamber of Trade and Commerce, echoed Mr Parker’s comments.

“A few isolated incidents should not put off visitors coming to the town,” she said.

Mrs Clarke, a director of Skipton’s Pennine Cruises, had told the Herald last month: “Canal boat owners obviously talk to each other and their message is, ‘Don’t stop in Skipton, you’ll get trouble from local kids’.”

Last week, she said there had been no further trouble for the last couple of weeks. “It’s been really quiet, but we don’t know whether that’s been down to the weather,” she said.

“We’re hoping the message is getting across that the police are taking action and young criminals risk getting caught.”

Boating enthusiasts Sue and Sam Marriott, who have a permanent mooring in the town, have contacted the Herald to say out-of-town revellers arriving by train, as well as local youths, had caused problems for the boating fraternity.

Mr Marriott said: “We totally support the views expressed by Mrs Clarke. Over the past 12 months, the situation on the Leeds and Liverpool canal has become steadily worse.

“We have been cut adrift, had fireworks thrown onto the boat and had youths jumping on and off. We reported these incidents to the police who responded efficiently. However, these ‘purges’ only last a limited time.

“Throughout last year we were approached by boaters from Cheshire and the Midlands, many deciding to shun Skipton and cruise through rather than risk their much-loved craft being vandalised.

“We have cruised the Leeds and Liverpool canal for over 30 years and feel saddened that it has come to this. We only hope a solution can be found and that it is not put down to a ‘sign of the times’.”

A spokeswoman for British Waterways, which owns the canal between Silsden and Gargrave, said it was not aware of any serious problems for boaters in Skipton, compared to other known trouble spots.

I read that before - we moored there on a warm Saturday night in August. Didn't notice anything.

Some drunk ran up and down our roof on a Thursday night when we were in Manchester city centre but that was the only incident in five months of cruising.

<shrugs>

Edited by Lady Muck

This has been discussed recently:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...t=0&start=0 (Post#14 onwards)

Don't let it put you off Skipton, which is a terrific town with a wide and interesting variety of shops and pubs and a huge market most days of the week.

These things come and go. Like any urban area, you'll be alright if avoid mooring in areas away from other boats.

Mac

Never had a problem on any part of the L&L we have cruised.

Last time we were at Skipton (Aug 2009) the kids that were with us and had a great and friendly night out in the town. They loved it.

Time before was in 2003 (Oct) and the worst we had was a guy sat on a bench next to our boat pleading with his girlfriend not to leave him.... something to do with a VD seemingly :lol: . Again the kids were out in the town having a very enjoyable (and safe) night out.

Nothing remotely threatening to us though.

Things flare up from time to time in towns,

Skipton is a beautiful town and as you say things come and go. Its like any town anywhere, when the little ones turn into teens you are bound to get a period of anti social behaviour. They grow up and move on and you get a few years peace until the next batch come of age.

Edited by tillergirl

We moored up in Skipton for a week or so in October - left the boat unattended for a few days while we travelled to Brum to celebrate my birthday. We had no problems at all, in fact I'd recommend it - you can moor right in the centre of a town which has still retained a huge amount of its character. The twice weekly market is definitely worth a visit.

There's young silly people everywhere - lets keep it in proportion!

we moor up in Skipton very regularly and have only had one incident last september when youths were running about shouting and swearing fron 12 midnight to about 3.30 am.

on this occassion an elederly couple on a snaygill hireboat were cast adrift and I had to give the man help to get moored up again.

this event will not stop me from mooring up in Skipton but I will not moor between the bridges opposite the water point because you have a car park on

one side and the bus station on the other where people congregate to catch taxis after nightclubs and pubs close.

Ange of N B Iona, I spoke to you when you moored up behind me last year when moored in Skipton, I was on the blue and white grp cruiser 'Laikin Aht'

Sharky

Never had any trouble at Skipton, or anywhere on L&L other than a couple of minor incidents a few years ago. The Wigan flight had a bad name at one point, but was desrted when we went up last summer, the only kids we saw helped us. We saw some kids shooting up under a bridge at Blackburn, but they were causing no problems.

I moored for the best part of a week in Skipton last August and yes, it was a bit rowdy. Plants chucked off my back deck, very loud drunk girls trying to jump in next to boat to fetch dropped phones, and twice a group of young lads drinking and shouting and mucking with the swing bridge and throwing things off in the night. Overall, Skipton was probably my least relaxing mooring of the whole 3 month summer cruise! BUT it was very beautiful, loads to do, and I'd still stop there again. Just take normal 'urban mooring' precautions.

From this weeks Craven Herald:

Skipton town centre leaders have sought to reassure the boating community after claims that young criminals were turning the Leeds-Liverpool Canal into a “no go area”.

The town council and Chamber of Trade have joined forces to play down reports that canal boat owners have begun spurning Skipton after being targeted by teenage hooligans.

The rebuttals came after one of the main organisers of the town’s annual Waterways Festival, Pamela Clarke, said boat owners had told her they were fearful of stopping in Skipton because of trouble from local youths.

And she said victims were reluctant to make reports to police for fear of reprisals.

Her comments came in the wake of moves to mount high-visibility police patrols on the canal towpath to combat crimes that have included narrowboats being cast adrift, vandalism and a spate of thefts from decks.

But Dave Parker, chief officer of Skipton Town Council, said negative perceptions of the canal in Skipton were unjustified. “We are very concerned that the impression is being given that every boat stopping off in Skipton will be subjected to attacks from so-called ‘thugs’,” he said.

“Clearly this is most definitely not the case and to brand Skipton as a no-go area is, frankly, ludicrous and blowing the situation out of all proportion.

“There have been a number of isolated incidents and, unfortunately, even a small number of such reports can do serious harm to Skipton’s economy.

“The problem needs to be dealt with and I am sure our colleagues in the police will have this in hand – and the town council will do everything it can to assist.”

Joan Evans, president of Skipton Chamber of Trade and Commerce, echoed Mr Parker’s comments.

“A few isolated incidents should not put off visitors coming to the town,” she said.

Mrs Clarke, a director of Skipton’s Pennine Cruises, had told the Herald last month: “Canal boat owners obviously talk to each other and their message is, ‘Don’t stop in Skipton, you’ll get trouble from local kids’.”

Last week, she said there had been no further trouble for the last couple of weeks. “It’s been really quiet, but we don’t know whether that’s been down to the weather,” she said.

“We’re hoping the message is getting across that the police are taking action and young criminals risk getting caught.”

Boating enthusiasts Sue and Sam Marriott, who have a permanent mooring in the town, have contacted the Herald to say out-of-town revellers arriving by train, as well as local youths, had caused problems for the boating fraternity.

Mr Marriott said: “We totally support the views expressed by Mrs Clarke. Over the past 12 months, the situation on the Leeds and Liverpool canal has become steadily worse.

“We have been cut adrift, had fireworks thrown onto the boat and had youths jumping on and off. We reported these incidents to the police who responded efficiently. However, these ‘purges’ only last a limited time.

“Throughout last year we were approached by boaters from Cheshire and the Midlands, many deciding to shun Skipton and cruise through rather than risk their much-loved craft being vandalised.

“We have cruised the Leeds and Liverpool canal for over 30 years and feel saddened that it has come to this. We only hope a solution can be found and that it is not put down to a ‘sign of the times’.”

A spokeswoman for British Waterways, which owns the canal between Silsden and Gargrave, said it was not aware of any serious problems for boaters in Skipton, compared to other known trouble spots.

IMHO this is a blatant lets spin the story to get more column inches!

It follows an interview Pam gave the Craven Herald a couple of weeks back trying to quash the rumours that Skipton was becoming a NO GO area. I am sure that she will be furious that they have actually managed to reinforce the misconception with this second article!!

We are coming to the end of our second winter in and around Skipton and it has been peaceful and very pleasant!

Like all towns you will always have a few trouble makers, the local police and PCSO's know who they are and mostly know where they hang out (The park near Gore Flats) To a degree they tolerate this for (qoute: The greater good!) In other words they know where to lay hands on them!

Friends are moored at the back of Herriots Hotel and as far as we know they have had no problems!

Skipton is a great place it is NOT a No Go area.

IMHO this is a blatant lets spin the story to get more column inches!

It follows an interview Pam gave the Craven Herald a couple of weeks back trying to quash the rumours that Skipton was becoming a NO GO area. I am sure that she will be furious that they have actually managed to reinforce the misconception with this second article!!

We are coming to the end of our second winter in and around Skipton and it has been peaceful and very pleasant!

Like all towns you will always have a few trouble makers, the local police and PCSO's know who they are and mostly know where they hang out (The park near Gore Flats) To a degree they tolerate this for (qoute: The greater good!) In other words they know where to lay hands on them!

Friends are moored at the back of Herriots Hotel and as far as we know they have had no problems!

Skipton is a great place it is NOT a No Go area.

I really don't know what Craven Herald you've been reading where you say Pam Clarke (who I know by the way) was 'trying to quash rumours' and is likely to be 'furious that they have actually managed to reinforce the misconception with this second article'. If you take a look at these two links below showing the actual articles you can see that she is saying that there are problems. You cannot imply that she has been mis-quoted when she is actually in the photo connected to the first article.

http://www.cravenherald.co.uk/news/ocalnew...a__no_go__area/

http://www.cravenherald.co.uk/news/ocalnew...pair_speak_out/

Take a look at the comments attached to the articles also.

Skipton does have its problems, although whether they are any worse than any other urban area is difficult to say. Friday and Saturday nights are 'lively' and there can be some problems from that. Under-age youths do congregate in the park, as you say, drinking themselves into a state and littering the place with empty cans and smashed bottles.

What we also have a problem with is over-staying boats, staying in the 3 day moorings area for months on end or bridge hopping either side of Belmont Bridge to make it look as if they are moving. These people are reducing the opportunity for true visiting boats to get a mooring and thus they will be encouraged to move straight through. There is no BW enforcement of the local 3 and 14 day moorings whatsoever I'm afraid to say. I love Skipton but there is no point in trying to create an impression that there are never any problems whatsoever. That will only lull those vistors who can find a mooring into a false sense of security. I live overlooking the canal and use the towpath daily. What we do see with moderate frequency is poles and such-like from the top of boats thrown into the water. I would certainly, if nothing else, remove anything loose from the top of my boat if I were mooring in Skipton overnight. Then enjoy the town because it is a great place with real character.

The market is 4 days per week by the way Ange, Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays. :lol:

Roger

What we also have a problem with is over-staying boats, staying in the 3 day moorings area for months on end or bridge hopping either side of Belmont Bridge to make it look as if they are moving.

Roger

Which surely means it can't be that bad...

Edited by MJG

Ange of N B Iona, I spoke to you when you moored up behind me last year when moored in Skipton, I was on the blue and white grp cruiser 'Laikin Aht'

Sharky

Hi Sharky - yes I remember meeting you at Skipton. We also had Suzie Joy (Lonewolf's boat) moored up next to us for a while.

The market is 4 days per week by the way Ange, Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays. :lol:

Roger

Dave & I had a debate about how many days the market is (he thought 4). I said don't worry, someone'll soon put me right if I get it wrong :lol:

We were clearly very lucky while we were there - we moored up opposite the water point and had no bother at all.

Which surely means it can't be that bad...

Theres a certain unavoidable logic to that Martin.... :lol:

It would seem that way from the written word but many of the types of boat that tend to really overstay (ie months) aren't the type of boat that (1) attracts the yobs and (2) has an owner that cares very much :lol:

Roger

We were clearly very lucky while we were there - we moored up opposite the water point and had no bother at all.

Yep, as I said in my previous post you can be OK or get aggro, it purely depends on chance. A friend of mine, staying roughly where you were, had a deep scratch put into the paint on his bow (towpath side, so not another boat) one night and he was only there for about three days. Others have no problem at all. Sad but true.

Roger

If we have to remove anything loose on the roof to stay overnight then it's more hassle than it's worth.

Think we will give it a miss.

When I moored Albion in the centre I just used to put all the chuckable things over on the far side (water side) of the boat which wasn't such a lot of hassle. I still think Skipton is a great place to visit but there is a chance that you may be unlucky. You could win £56 million on the lottery or you could get some aggro...........luck swings both ways I guess. :lol:

Roger

Edited by Albion

It would seem that way from the written word but many of the types of boat that tend to really overstay (ie months) aren't the type of boat that (1) attracts the yobs and (2) has an owner that cares very much :lol:

Roger

Yep, as I said in my previous post you can be OK or get aggro, it purely depends on chance. A friend of mine, staying roughly where you were, had a deep scratch put into the paint on his bow (towpath side, so not another boat) one night and he was only there for about three days. Others have no problem at all. Sad but true.

Roger

When I moored Albion in the centre I just used to put all the chuckable things over on the far side (water side) of the boat which wasn't such a lot of hassle. I still think Skipton is a great place to visit but there is a chance that you may be unlucky. You could win £56 million on the lottery or you could get some aggro...........luck swings both ways I guess. :lol:

Roger

We have had the pleasure of overstaying in Skipton this winter as a result of the closures between Bradley and Gargrave plus the rather thick ice over the New Year. :lol:

I saw the article in the Craven Herald whilst in a local supermarket but having had a quick glance decided not to invest in purchasing the paper as in my view it was the typically alarmist dramatised reporting that passses for journalism these days. I didn't even mention the article to my wife even though we were moored nearby.

A view which I think was supported, when chatting to Pam Clark a few days later about the article, I was told that the interview had taken place two weeks earlier. Had it been a major issue surely it would have been headline news at the time. Perhaps if it hadn't been a slow news week or Pam being part of a prominent Skipton business it would never have graced the front page.

Having reread the articles thanks to the link provided I fail to see how having your photograph published alongside an article prevents you being misquoted.

If the photgraph had had the caption "Local Businesswoman questioned by Police about Vandalised Boats" would that be a misquote, I'm sorry but the chinese whispers that eminate from the Towpath feed on isolated incidents such as these and if taken seriously can have an effect on a local economy.

Whilst it makes sense to minimise the risk to your possessions unfortunately being a boater means having to have bits and pieces on the roof, you sometimes have to moor alongside towpaths where some idiot may think it funny to cast you adrift.

However we do what we do for pleasure, perhaps we've been fortunate, I don't know, but in two years of continuous cruising if we've had two nights when our sleep has been disturbed by noisy youths, then thats it.

Oh but when we were moored in Skipton somebody realigned my satellite dish once just enough to lose the picture. :lol:

Perhaps Travis's view about the Leeds Liverpool in this area is right don't tell people how great it is they will all want to come. ;)

Having a lovely time in Skipton

Wish you were Here

John

Surely it would be far easier to identify the "Go areas" rather than the "No-go areas" as there can't be a single stretch of canal, rural or urban, that hasn't had some sort of incident.

If you want to only visit crime free areas build yourself a panic room and lock yourself in.

We have had the pleasure of overstaying in Skipton this winter as a result of the closures between Bradley and Gargrave plus the rather thick ice over the New Year. :lol:

Of course the ice meant that some people have had to remain longer than the posted time limit. No-one disputes that this is a valid reason. One of the main culprits that I'm talking about has been bridge hopping for a year now on the three day moorings. That is a bit more than a slight overstay. It is the boat behind Pam and the PCSOs in the photo that accompanies the first article.

I saw the article in the Craven Herald whilst in a local supermarket but having had a quick glance decided not to invest in purchasing the paper as in my view it was the typically alarmist dramatised reporting that passses for journalism these days. I didn't even mention the article to my wife even though we were moored nearby.

Ignoring potential risk is another reaction to the news that is equally valid and if it suits you then that's OK :lol:

A view which I think was supported, when chatting to Pam Clark a few days later about the article, I was told that the interview had taken place two weeks earlier. Had it been a major issue surely it would have been headline news at the time. Perhaps if it hadn't been a slow news week or Pam being part of a prominent Skipton business it would never have graced the front page.

I can't comment on the timing except to say that it was still during the snow as could be seen from the photo. I did wonder if it was an attempt to get the police and community interested in the issue before the Waterway Festival to be held in Skipton on the first three days of May when there will be lots of visiting boats.

Having reread the articles thanks to the link provided I fail to see how having your photograph published alongside an article prevents you being misquoted.

Had she been as badly misquoted as was implied by the other poster then I'm sure she would have asked for a retraction as it was supposed to be diametrically opposite to what she actually said

snipped

Whilst it makes sense to minimise the risk to your possessions unfortunately being a boater means having to have bits and pieces on the roof, you sometimes have to moor alongside towpaths where some idiot may think it funny to cast you adrift.

However we do what we do for pleasure, perhaps we've been fortunate, I don't know, but in two years of continuous cruising if we've had two nights when our sleep has been disturbed by noisy youths, then thats it.

Long may your luck hold. In over twenty years of boating I've had several more incidents than that including a bricking that could have resulted in the death or serious injury of my wife. It didn't stop us boating though, it just made us a bit more savvy and aware of risky scenarios

snipped

Having a lovely time in Skipton

Wish you were Here

I am, I live here permanently, unlike those who just pass through :lol:

Roger

Edited by Albion

Never had a problem on any part of the L&L we have cruised.

Last time we were at Skipton (Aug 2009) the kids that were with us and had a great and friendly night out in the town. They loved it.

Time before was in 2003 (Oct) and the worst we had was a guy sat on a bench next to our boat pleading with his girlfriend not to leave him.... something to do with a VD seemingly :lol: . Again the kids were out in the town having a very enjoyable (and safe) night out.

Nothing remotely threatening to us though.

Things flare up from time to time in towns,

I moored at that bench once and got a young lass, at midnight, having a repetitive and very drunken half hour conversation by phone with her boyfriend who had gone off without her while out drinking. We just sat there listening to the one-sided conversation. Avoid that spot when I can, but its just urban areas, no biggie. Never had any problems in Skipton muself.

I moored at that bench once and got a young lass, at midnight, having a repetitive and very drunken half hour conversation by phone with her boyfriend who had gone off without her while out drinking. We just sat there listening to the one-sided conversation. Avoid that spot when I can, but its just urban areas, no biggie. Never had any problems in Skipton muself.

Oh that must make it a no go zone then. A young girl talking on a phone at midnight. Shocking behaviour :lol:

Why should anybody, boater or not 'expect trouble' anywhere? why can't people leave others and their property alone. It might be understandable if they were stealing it as a means of getting money but it is the mindlessness and inanity of it all that somehow makes it more annoying - still I suppose it is all our fault for allowing the halfwits to get away with it in the first place - we have made their world so they can destroy it.

Edited by PaddingtonBear