Eco fan ailing

Featured Posts

I purchased an Eco fan a few months ago and it has worked really well through the winter, but today I noticed it has slowed down and where as when fire was turned up to full it fair whizzed round now it seems to be only going at half speed. When fire is turned down the fan slows from half speed to "oh I think I can just about manage to turn.

Has anybody any thoughts?

Phil

You've probably checked stuff like this already...but just in case...

following from: Ecofan info

What is the recommended surface temperature of the stove?

The optimal running temperature of the Ecofan Original and Ecofan Airplus for woodstoves is the same as the recommended safe operating temperatures of wood stoves between 450°F to 600°F (205°C to 345°C). Relocate your Ecofan to a cooler spot if your stovetop exceeds 650°F (345°C). The Ecofan GS’s optimal running temperature is between 150°F to 300°F (65°C to 150°C) Operating above the recommended temperature may be hazardous due to excessive blade speed. In order to prevent this, Caframo has fabricated an over speed protector that will activate and slow the speed of the blade down. The Ecofan GS should then be relocated to a cooler position where the over speed protector will be reset and protection will be in place.

Also, but far less helpful....

Ecofan FAQs (see nos 14 & 15)

I've only ever looked at one once but I imagine as well as shifting air it shifts dust too so I imagine there will be a bit of gunk stuck in the bearing perhaps?

Try blasting it with a bit of electrical switch cleaner. Other than that it could be the heat-to-electricity thingy is breaking down :lol:

I purchased an Eco fan a few months ago and it has worked really well through the winter, but today I noticed it has slowed down and where as when fire was turned up to full it fair whizzed round now it seems to be only going at half speed. When fire is turned down the fan slows from half speed to "oh I think I can just about manage to turn.

Phil

As you may be aware I think that Eco Fans are a waste of money. Mine certainly is. However I do have a couple of spare motors one of which I could part with if you can isolate the problem to that.

Our used to be useful, but also seemed to be ailing.

Due to the good-will of a forum member, I re-motored it recently at very little cost.

Sadly though, it's spinning slower than ever.

I have noticed the paint has broken up at one point on it's base, and there is now some corrosion there - it's possible that is raising it marginally, so it is not making full contact with the stove, but a scraped at it, and it didn't improve things.

The suggestion in that FixYa article to unmake the sandwich with the module, and refresh the heat conducting compound might be a good one, I suppose. Next think to try, possibly ?

Frustrating because they ain't cheap, and I'd like to keep it going.

Phil

Mine did the same, albeit after five years. Suddenly went into slow motion.

I checked the symptoms on www.ecofan.co.uk - which said overheating can cause motor failure and I took a gamble on ordering a new motor for 10 pounds plus P&P.

It was easy to fit but you have to solder the leads onto the new motor.

Its working perfectly again - total cost under 15 pounds.

Well I bit the bullet and fed my Ecofan some WD40, and guess what? it loved it, so all is well (for the timebeing)

Phil

Hi

I like the look of these

http://gyroscope.com/d.asp?product=VULCANSTOVEFAN

even more complicated and more to go wrong.

Dave

I did in fact look at these, and loved the Sterling engine, but as a bit of kit for the saloon it was a tad industrial for our taste.

Phil

Now, not to those plans, but I have made one of those. The "Cat-Food" engine ran at the Town and Country Festival at Stoneleigh for many years until the displacer came adrift. Excellent fun and it cost me IIRC nothing to make.

Richard

This one is even easier to make: Youtube link

Now, not to those plans, but I have made one of those. The "Cat-Food" engine ran at the Town and Country Festival at Stoneleigh for many years until the displacer came adrift. Excellent fun and it cost me IIRC nothing to make.

Richard

This one is even easier to make: Youtube link

I'm trying to make out from all these plans... is the 'cold' cylinder offset by 90 degrees from the 'hot' cylinder? Or is it more like 120 degrees?

Tony

I'm trying to make out from all these plans... is the 'cold' cylinder offset by 90 degrees from the 'hot' cylinder? Or is it more like 120 degrees?

Tony

Should be 90 degrees. The "hot" cylinder has a piston. The "cold" one has a lump of something inside that displaces the air from the hot to the cold end - the displacer! So when all the air is at the cold end it contracts and pulls the piston in, when all the air is at the hot end it expands and pushes the piston out. That's about it really

Richard

Edited by RLWP