To Bath or not to Bath

OffGridManc

Featured Posts

We are considering having a full size bath in our 57 foot narrowboat.

Does anyone have any opinions about fitting a bath in a narrowboat they wish to share?

Naturally its not going to be used every day but to have one would be nice.

Is it possible to have one without having a walk through bathroom?

Another thought that comes up is how do you empty it and could the waste water or at least some of it be stored to be used as flush water?

Thanks.

Does anyone have any opinions about fitting a bath in a narrowboat they wish to share?

Another thought that comes up is how do you empty it and could the waste water or at least some of it be stored to be used as flush water?

Thanks.

Entirely your choice really it depends on your priorities and how much space you wish to devote to each function on the boat.

Even on a 70ft narrowboat there is a need to compromise on space management and how much is used for what purpose.

Of course you can have a full size bath longways on if you don't want a walk-through bathroom but you will pay for that by using up space that could be used in the galley or lounge area.

Personally as I use the boat for holiday use rather than liveaboard I favour a shower only. It might be different if I was a liveaboard but I don't think I would want a full size bath enough to pinch space from what I would see as higher priority areas.

Is it possible to have one without having a walk through bathroom? Yes it just needs to be planned, all the hire boats we hired had baths but of the 'hip' type

Another thought that comes up is how do you empty pump, connect waste to pump and out it goes but you have to be careful with pipe lengths or some of the water could return to the bath, non return valve would helpit and could the waste water or at least some of it be stored to be used as flush water?Yes but not advisable storing 'grey' water can be very smelly

Thanks.

You will need a large water tank and a way of heating a lot of it for a bath.

You will need a large water tank and a way of heating a lot of it for a bath.

Thanks for the reply.

Could a traditional tin bath method of heating the water on the stove not be used?

Am I not also right in thinking a shower room with loo is about 6 foot in length anyway?

So you shower in a bath.

Edited by OffGridManc

Thanks for the reply.

Could a traditional tin bath method of heating the water on the stove not be used?well possibly but do you fancy walking along a boat that moves, with boiling water, I wouldn't and by stove do you mean a gas stove (cooker) or a solid fuel stove used for heating

Am I not also right in thinking a shower room with loo is about 6 foot in length anyway? It can be any size you like but that will impinge on the rest of the boat and as you do not want a walk through the space can be any length but the width will be limited to approximately 4ft

So you shower in a bath.We did when we hired but now, on our own boat, have a shower cubicle

I like having a bath sometimes. Ours is not quite full size, but it is about 4ft so it easily goes across the boat in a conventional bathroom (ie one with a corridor alongside). That is just big enough to relax in quite comfortably.

There is a shower-head over it as well, which I use more often than the bath. If I'm feeling really decadent I'll lie in the bath with the shower running too!

We don't try and store the water, it all gets pumped over the side.

Thanks for the reply.

Could a traditional tin bath method of heating the water on the stove not be used?

Am I not also right in thinking a shower room with loo is about 6 foot in length anyway?

So you shower in a bath.

We have a bath, but we are a widebeam, so space is more flexible. We are also liveaboard, and a bath is a neccessary requirement for us, in fact I just jumped out of it about 10 minutes ago. :lol: Our bath is 5ft long with a shower head over it for the best of both. Our calorifier was cold when we decided we wanted a bath, so we heated the water by running the engine for 45 minutes, which also gave us a battery boost. The water was hot enough for a 50/50 hot & cold mix, about 7" deep ( empty) As we share the bath water, there was also enough hot left in the calorifier for my wife to wash her hair under the shower head. So no problems using one calorifier full. We have a 1000 litre fresh water tank, which lasts for 2 weeks of 24/7 living including baths and regular domestic washing machine use.

Roger

Edited by Roger Gunkel

I like having a bath sometimes. Ours is not quite full size, but it is about 4ft so it easily goes across the boat in a conventional bathroom (ie one with a corridor alongside). That is just big enough to relax in quite comfortably.

There is a shower-head over it as well, which I use more often than the bath. If I'm feeling really decadent I'll lie in the bath with the shower running too!

Now that sounds like a happy compromise as I do like to rest my aching back in a hot bath from time to time.

What is the rest of the bathroom laid out like?

If I do carry water from the wood burner it will be in a kettle so it should be ok for the occasional top up.

Edited by OffGridManc

Funny how tastes vary, When we look round boats (still looking :lol: ) we also say "bath has to go" I dont think I would be happy knowing I had a bath I couldnt fill to a bubbly brim and lie back in and read for an hour.

Why cant you still fill it if its 4 foot on a boat once in a month?

Now that sounds like a happy compromise as I do like to rest my aching back in a hot bath from time to time.

What is the rest of the bathroom laid out like?

If I do carry water from the wood burner it will be in a kettle so it should be ok for the occasional top up.

It's very simple. Enter through the door, you have the loo on the immediate right followed by the washbasin, and the bath on the left.

I sense that some people think a bath onboard is daft why is this?

If IM out in the sticks why would going to a hotel for a bath be a good idea over having one onboard?

Hi

You seem to be determined to have a bath onboard, even though many here have said it's not really practicable.

You have a bath, its your choice and you have to arrive at the best compromise

Personaly I think the loss of other space is to much for the sake of an occasional bath.

I would much rather have a bigger lounge/kitchen to spend my time in.

Alex

Thanks.

We hadn't enough height for a shower over a bath, so it wasn't practical.

Sue

I have a 4 foot bath, it's fine for me and i'm fairly tall. Baths are easier to fit than showers..

We also have a 4 foot bath with a shower over the top but in 8 years we have never had a bath in it only our daily shower. I put it in so we had the option of ether and it doesn't take up much more usable space than a good sized shower cubical.

Brian

We also have this set-up and consider it essential as we both have bad backs. An occasional soak is a treat. However it needs a big calorifier and we only bathe after the engine has been running. The immersion heater (on mains of course) is not really an option as it only heats the top part of the calorifier. We run 1/2 a bath of hot water about 15 mins before we moor, then the calorifier has heated up again by the time we stop. Same applies when showering, SWMBO gets showered before we stop then I get mine once moored. Baths are also useful for hanging wet washing or sodden clothes over so we do not consider it a waste of space.

The hire boats we have hired had baths fitted. We never used them and we saw them as a waste of otherwise useful space. As we rarely use the bath at home, much prefering showers we are highly unlikely to use one on a boat. It certainly wouldnt be on our list of needs.

Thanks.

Well it needs to be big enough for two or are you thinking of more? :lol:

Edited by nb Innisfree