boat builders

handyspanner

Featured Posts

Hi

Agree with above. It also helps if you can visit regularly so location is a factor.

XR&D make fantastic shells, and are also based at Ollerton Notts. They have supplied Beacon for some time, and compliment each other. Nicer people you could not meet from both companys.

John.

Edited to say. If you visit Ollerton, Paul Widdowson and XR&D are in ajoining units on Boughton Camp.

Preferably, but in our case the boatbuilder was some 85 miles down the M6. We still managed to visit every month, enabling me to collect many photo's of the build process. While visiting, we'd stay at a local small hotel where the owners and staff couldn't have been friendlier! A very pleasant overall experience. :lol:

Mike

I used Heartwood Narrowboats (Staffordshire) for the simple reason that they were not telling me what I could and could not have (which I found when I was looking for a builder was often not the case). Heartwoods have no spec (they don't want to build two boats identical) and relish a challenge! That's their sales pitch and they delivered on that for me. There's nothing in my boat I didn't ask for or agree to and hours were spent researching bits and bobs.

You can chose which hull you want and that can be a benefit if you've got specific thoughts on internal layout. Often they would draw our attention to pitfalls we hadn't considered, and the practicalities, and helped us weigh up the pros and cons. Added benefit was they'd all get hyperexcited about trying something new or different. Oh, and they were great marriage counsellors when my husband and I disagreed on things...walk-though bathroom, utility room, design of stairs, flooring, colour schemes - you name it!

I thoroughly enjoyed the boatfitting out experience with them. Everything is a compromise so you have to enjoy the challenge of trying to find workable, agreeable solutions. Both of us love the boat we've got so proof it was worth the stress/work involved as well as the process - which is a lot more consuming than you realise when you start out. I do miss that creative/idea generating aspect of having a boat built. I don't miss the stage payments and the financial expenditure involved in getting one built though!

The boatbuild process has meant that Paul and Maria have become friends but there's also the Heartwood's Appreciation Society (HAS) who try to meet up at least once a year (usually at Crick) if you need a second opinion :lol: Andythehammer (this forum) has written extensively about his boatbuild and a bit about mine too.

Always pay stage payments by credit card or marine finance - that is the only thing not to compromise on under any circumstances. Also insure your boatbuild if you can.

Always pay stage payments by credit card or marine finance - that is the only thing not to compromise on under any circumstances.

That's advice I have not heard of before in the whole

'how to avoid getting stung if your boat builder goes belly up debate'

I can see how that might offer additional protection - can you elaborate on how it actually does (and how you arrange this through a marine finance company)

Many thanks.

That's advice I have not heard of before in the whole

'how to avoid getting stung if your boat builder goes belly up debate'

I can see how that might offer additional protection - can you elaborate on how it actually does (and how you arrange this through a marine finance company)

Many thanks.

Seconded good sir.

John

I used Heartwood Narrowboats (Staffordshire) for the simple reason that they were not telling me what I could and could not have (which I found when I was looking for a builder was often not the case). Heartwoods have no spec (they don't want to build two boats identical) and relish a challenge! That's their sales pitch and they delivered on that for me. There's nothing in my boat I didn't ask for or agree to and hours were spent researching bits and bobs.

You can chose which hull you want and that can be a benefit if you've got specific thoughts on internal layout. Often they would draw our attention to pitfalls we hadn't considered, and the practicalities, and helped us weigh up the pros and cons. Added benefit was they'd all get hyperexcited about trying something new or different. Oh, and they were great marriage counsellors when my husband and I disagreed on things...walk-though bathroom, utility room, design of stairs, flooring, colour schemes - you name it!

I thoroughly enjoyed the boatfitting out experience with them. Everything is a compromise so you have to enjoy the challenge of trying to find workable, agreeable solutions. Both of us love the boat we've got so proof it was worth the stress/work involved as well as the process - which is a lot more consuming than you realise when you start out. I do miss that creative/idea generating aspect of having a boat built. I don't miss the stage payments and the financial expenditure involved in getting one built though!

The boatbuild process has meant that Paul and Maria have become friends but there's also the Heartwood's Appreciation Society (HAS) who try to meet up at least once a year (usually at Crick) if you need a second opinion :lol: Andythehammer (this forum) has written extensively about his boatbuild and a bit about mine too.

Always pay stage payments by credit card or marine finance - that is the only thing not to compromise on under any circumstances. Also insure your boatbuild if you can.

We took a serious look at Heartwood, and greatly admire their design flair.

But. Is this the same company of yore?

Website appears to be reformed!

John

Hi,

I have searched the site to no avail, I am looking to have a boat built and I am looking for recomended builders. I know what I want and I would be gratfeul for recomended builders from people who are happy with their build.

I look forward to hearing from you.

HS

Gem Marine Services. Serious boat builders who build narrowboats, barges and off-shore stuff. Rock solid financially, stage payments, superbly built boats at very competitive prices. Have a very flexible attitude and will build what you want. Mine was on budget, on time and properly designed. http://www.gemmarineservices.co.uk

The websites not that good but well worth ringing them for a chat!

Good luck with your search!

Colin

We took a serious look at Heartwood, and greatly admire their design flair.

But. Is this the same company of yore?

Website appears to be reformed!

John

They have had some server problems and have just updated their website with their latest builds, as Nice Narrowboat said they are now close friends after building our boat.

We were out with Paul and Maria the other night and took the opportunity to look at their current build, I can only reflect what Nice NarrowBoat said in their post.

Regards

Andy

• 1 year later...

Handyspanner where abouts do you live, because if you are having a boat made I would recommend regular vists to see it being built. It helps to keep the builder on his toes and should save any unexpected features.

Also be careful with many of the so called boat builders who are only fitters to somebody elses shell, not a problem will a reputable fitter but of late a good number have gone bust.

Following on this point make sure that you have a good contract with the builder / fitter and never make massive upfront payments, all stage payments should be against defined deliverables and you should have ownership of those dileverables in the sad event if the builder ceases trading.

Steve-get yourself a surveyor-try Mike Boulton he's very thorough! Don't feel at all uncomfortable about engaging a surveyor-it can save you heartache and lot's of money trying to rectify problems-it will also focus your builder on employing a skilled individual to peform any work on your boat he can not do himself!

Can I suggest Steve Hudson Boatbuilders - yes I'm biased having a boat in build with him but what builder offers:

1) In house one place build from steel to signwriting

2) Requires just £500 deposit to secure build slot then stage payments in arrears of work completed or materials obtained

3) Offers documentary proof of ownership of boat commensurate with stage payments made

4) Builds up to ten complete boats a year with always seven or eight at various stages of completion

5) Steel work that just looks right with his own beautiful take on Josher style bows

6) Allows visits at any work time

7) Supplies & rebuilds vintage diesels

8) Will adapt to suit your custom spec but not unless it will work

9) Hosts open weekend with generous hospitality every year with customers old & new visiting time & again

10) Has website which includes price calculator & several spec options

11) Offers fully fitted boats complete with paint, signwriting & full set of running gear, even two lock handles!

12) Excellent quality of steel & woodwork plus general fit-out

13) Boat dry-docked & lower hull repainted prior to delivery

14) Provides BSC as well as RCD from independent surveyor

Its been suggested that Steve won't sway too much from his established designs. His recent Crick display boat blows that myth. In any case I would rather have a builder that can see the bigger picture & throw out a custom idea I may have rather than say I will build exactly what you want.

I'm sure there are boats that have been built better in some respect or other but in these difficult financial times with the present spate of builders going under, I feel safer with this well established guy who, offering complete boats, can tailor the build as it progresses knowing the final outcome.

Edited by richardhula

We were recently travelling north on the Staffs & Worcs canal approaching The Bratch set of three locks. Whilst waiting in the queue to enter the first lock, a tall boater chap approached my wife who was at the tiller, enquiring the name of our boatbuilder. When she replied Steve Hudson, the chap began to ridicule the boat saying that Hudson boats had a reputation for being difficult to handle and stated that "he wouldn't have one even if it was free".

Upon being beckoned to enter the lock by the lock keeper, my wife maneuvered the boat against a strong 'by wash' without touching the sides of the lock entrance. My missus is five foot nothing, has limited strength in both arms, yet still manages to drive our 'difficult' sixty footer through flights of locks with minimum contact.

Either she's got hidden depths of strength, or, the man's a fool! :wacko:

Hudson boats tend to have a deep draft that sometimes creates a problem for us on the Shropshire Union canal with its infamous ledge, but they cut through the water with ease in both directions.

Mike

Hudson boats tend to have a deep draft that sometimes creates a problem for us on the Shropshire Union canal with its infamous ledge, but they cut through the water with ease in both directions.

Mike

I believe over recent years he has reduced draught from 2'6" to 2'3". Downside is biggest prop is now 24" to allow adequate clearance.

Always pay stage payments by credit card or marine finance...

How do you suggest that protects you? Card protection has a maximum limit of £30k. If you are making a stage payment and the total amount payable exceeds £30k then you have no cover.

This is not conjecture, it happened to a member here. He appealed the decision and took it as far as possible and still lost.

So don't think that making payments by card will cover you unless the total transaction is between £100 and £30k.

I suppose that theoretically you could negotiate several different contracts with the builder: hull for £15k, superstructure for £12k, engine for £15k etc, but I wouldn't put it past a CC company to still insist that each of these is worthless without the other and so your total figure exceeds £30k and therefore you're not covered.

Tony

How do you suggest that protects you? Card protection has a maximum limit of £30k. If you are making a stage payment and the total amount payable exceeds £30k then you have no cover.

Would this still be the case if you used several cards?

Our boat was fitted out by Kingfisher Narrowboats at Trent Lock (just through the first lock literally as you turn off the Trent to go up the Erewash Canal). We were highly delighted throughout the build (and at the end!) and Jandai was handed over April 1, 2009 exactly on the date promised. We have been continuously cruising now for 16 months and still very delighted with everything including after sales service which is outstanding. see them at www.kingfishernarrowboats.co.uk

Good luck with your search!

Would this still be the case if you used several cards?

Can't see why not. You are not using the card to make an outright purchase of an item valued at under £30k. The total value exceeds that and therefore card protection is null and void.

Tony

Can't see why not. You are not using the card to make an outright purchase of an item valued at under £30k. The total value exceeds that and therefore card protection is null and void.

Tony

Okay, but if you are paying for work as it is done, and components as they are supplied, then you are, arguably, buying lots of bits and services, not a complete boat.

Each payment is an outright purchase of materials, components and labour, if the contract is worded correctly.

Also, using this method, if the yard goes belly up, you are the outright owner of the partially completed boat, at any stage.

Okay, but if you are paying for work as it is done, and components as they are supplied, then you are, arguably, buying lots of bits and services, not a complete boat.

Each payment is an outright purchase of materials, components and labour, if the contract is worded correctly.

Also, using this method, if the yard goes belly up, you are the outright owner of the partially completed boat, at any stage.

I completely, totally and unequivocally agree with all your points. So did the OP who originally raised the issue. Unfortunately the CC company and the financial ombudsman disagreed.

Tony

I've looked for and failed to find the original post where I got this information.

I think there has been plenty about this on the forum!

Please remember there are good guys out there aswell....don't tar all builders with the same brush!

And don't forget the good guys go bust as well as the bad. They may have every intention of not stitching up any of their customers but on the day their business runs out of cash and they go to the wall, there WILL be unpaid creditors and some of them are almost certian to be customers. If there were no unpaid creditors, the business would not have gone under.

So (assuming this is possible) insure your build if it would hurt to lose the money you've paid on account, even if you get on brilliantly with the builder and have the best possible relationship with them.

I think there has been plenty about this on the forum!

Please remember there are good guys out there aswell....don't tar all builders with the same brush!

I should have made that point! There's many boatbuilders out there I would be happy to trust with a new build. Its the bad guys who make life hard for the rest.

But in the case of Waiouru, the prospective owners look to have taken reasonable steps to ensure that they were dealing with a reputable builder, but they are still thousands out of pocket, and from what has been said it is hard to see what else they could or should have done to protect themselves.

Of course the 'boatbuilder' concerned could come on here and put his side of the story, but it seems he has chosen not to. Waterways World couldn't reach him for comment either!

David

Forgive me for jumping in here,but l can,t get my head around the "contract" between buyer and builder.

If l go to buy a new build house off plan there will usually plans drawn up i.e to get planning permission so l know what l am buying.and l don,t pay the balance until finished.

But from my contact with boat builders l get the impression that l

(1) pay a deposit to reserve a build slot.

(2) l then will get drawings done to suit my requirements and that of the builder.

(3) As build progresses l will then make payments to cover work done.

(4)then a final payment at finish.

But what happens if l don,t like what they are building i.e build is different from plans.

l get the impression that once l start the initial build process l am tied in with that builder.

14skipper

Edited by 14skipper