A couple of queries....

CJR

Featured Posts

I have 2 niggling problems that I can't seem to sort -

1. My washing machine works perfectly when on shore power and travel power when the engine is running, but if I want to start it on the Honda 2kw genny into the shorepower socket it just won't start up. We experimented by plugging the genny directly into the washing machine and it started fine.

It seems to be the initial start up that the machine struggles with when on the shorepower circuit with the Honda, as we discovered that if the machine is started on normal shore power or engine, then switch over to the Honda genny it will continue the cycle ok ....any ideas?

Everything else performs fine on the Honda - just the wash machine that struggles.

2. Here we go - the good old calorifier! We have only just tried to start using our 1 kw imersion heater to keep the water warm overnight while the frost is here (never tried to use it before now), and it keeps tripping out with a little black button on top of the element that goes into the calorifier. Ours is a horizontal calorifier and we are trying figure if it might be overheating and that is why it is tripping out?

We are only wanting to use this as we are on shorepower and would like to save a little diesel when the heater is running overnight to stave off the ice.

Any ideas on these niggles would be greatly appreciated!! :lol:

Oh - a third niggle - just bought OH a snug russian stlye hat to keep the cold out, and my 10 year old daughter has nicked it and refuses to take it off! Any ideas?!

Edited by CJR

1. My washing machine works perfectly when on shore power and travel power when the engine is running, but if I want to start it on the Honda 2kw genny into the shorepower socket it just won't start up. We experimented by plugging the genny directly into the washing machine and it started fine.

It seems to be the initial start up that the machine struggles with when on the shorepower circuit with the Honda, as we discovered that if the machine is started on normal shore power or engine, then switch over to the Honda genny it will continue the cycle ok ....any ideas?

Everything else performs fine on the Honda - just the wash machine that struggles.

2. Here we go - the good old calorifier! We have only just tried to start using our 1 kw imersion heater to keep the water warm overnight while the frost is here (never tried to use it before now), and it keeps tripping out with a little black button on top of the element that goes into the calorifier. Ours is a horizontal calorifier and we are trying figure if it might be overheating and that is why it is tripping out?

We are only wanting to use this as we are on shorepower and would like to save a little diesel when the heater is running overnight to stave off the ice.

Any ideas on these niggles would be greatly appreciated!! :lol:

Hi

The trip on the immersion heater usually means the element is getting too hot. Not fully submerged in water?

I assume the calorifier can't be anything else but full of water. Otherwise I can only assume it's faulty.

I dont know any thing about the genny problem

Alex

Is it in the engine bay? We had this problem with ours & on checking found that the plastic covering cap contained droplets of moisture. Dried it out, a good spray with WD40 & has been fine every since :lol:

Can't help with washing machine problem except to say we sold our candy auto & bought a twin tub. :lol:

I think it was blackrose, many moons ago, who had issues running his washing machine off his genny. The solution, so I remember was to NE bond the cable from the genny, ensuring you mark it as such and ensuring it doesn't get used on the mains.

Might be worth a PM...

As to the calorifier, is the immersion heating the top f the tank to the point where the thermal cut out kicks in? I saw a photo of a horizontal cal' recently with the immersion boss at the top. The 12v immersion bosses I've seen, which are convoluted rather than straight may be prone to this. Also it may simply be heating collected air in the top of the tank as steelaway suggests; again horizontal tanks can, apparently collect air if the hot water offtake isn't on top.

Washing machine:-

Just a few long shots. Is it the distance or some other form of resistance that is sapping current or causing voltage drop? Is the washer made with a digital controller, is the genny PSW?

Biggles

I think it was blackrose, many moons ago, who had issues running his washing machine off his genny. The solution, so I remember was to NE bond the cable from the genny, ensuring you mark it as such and ensuring it doesn't get used on the mains.

Might be worth a PM...

As to the calorifier, is the immersion heating the top f the tank to the point where the thermal cut out kicks in? I saw a photo of a horizontal cal' recently with the immersion boss at the top. The 12v immersion bosses I've seen, which are convoluted rather than straight may be prone to this. Also it may simply be heating collected air in the top of the tank as steelaway suggests; again horizontal tanks can, apparently collect air if the hot water offtake isn't on top.

Thanks for all your replies so far. I will check out the position of the offtake in the morning. I would do it now but it's bloody freezing outside and somebody has nicked my nice new russian hat!

Very interesting info about the wash machine and genny - I assume you mean negative earth when you say NE?

Thanks for all your replies so far. I will check out the position of the offtake in the morning. I would do it now but it's bloody freezing outside and somebody has nicked my nice new russian hat!

Very interesting info about the wash machine and genny - I assume you mean negative earth when you say NE?

I took it as "Neutral to Earth"..... (i.e. bonding ) - some aren't and are left "floating" to allow the end user to configure as he needs...

However, let Smelly confirm what his suggestion is.....

Nick

Shore power, probably 16amp = approx 3.5 Kw

Travel power usually = 3.5 Kw

Honda 2 Kw generator = 1.6 Kw continuous 2 kw surge.

Washng machine = approx 2.3 Kw

Conclusion Honda not big enough for 'load' of washing machine.

Yes but w/m runs ok plugged directly into genny.

The only logical explanation is that you have something else that is running on the shorepower circuit - battery charger perhaps? - as it should just be a number of switches and not effect the loading at all.

The other thing, as an aside, is that for a high power load you should run the Honda on the 'hare' setting.

The NE suggestion is a red herring. This will make no difference if the generator starts the washing machine when plugged straight in.

Edited by Chris Pink

No. If it runs straight out of the genny something else is going on.

Biggles

Washing machine:-

Just a few long shots. Is it the distance or some other form of resistance that is sapping current or causing voltage drop? Is the washer made with a digital controller, is the genny PSW?

Biggles

The machine is about 35 foot from the shorepower socket then there is another 15 foot of cable from the socket to the genny. About 50 foot in all, so maybe voltage drop is the issue. I will try to increase the cable diametre to 2.5 and reduce the length and see if this helps. It is one of those digital controller jobbies which I have read can be a bit tempramental, but works fine when the genny is plugged directly into it. The genny is PSW.

I will check out the negative earth idea also.

I will look at the immersion issue again this morning. The problem being I cannot tell if it is drawing current and heating the element when I am on shorepower, the only way I can tell is by plugging the genny in and when I hear it rev I know the elemment is working. Any there any ways of knowing how to check this when on shorepower?

Thanks for all your comment so far, I will let you know how we get on in case anyone else gets these niggles.

Oh - finally got the hat back last night after standing her in front of the stove for an hour. Unfortunately, it is back on her head again this morning! I think I may have to resort to holding her ipod to ransome until it is returned!

The only logical explanation is that you have something else that is running on the shorepower circuit - battery charger perhaps? - as it should just be a number of switches and not effect the loading at all.

The other thing, as an aside, is that for a high power load you should run the Honda on the 'hare' setting.

The NE suggestion is a red herring. This will make no difference if the generator starts the washing machine when plugged straight in.

We tried turning everything off before switching the machine on, but still would not have it. I think we did try the hare setting to start it, but have another go this morning and see what happens.