TESCO

Dalesman

Featured Posts

When will their assault on our traditional shops (of which there are a few good ones in Ellesmere) end?

When we have no milkmen, bakers, butchers, greengrocers left and they can charge what they like.

You live in the wrong place :lol:

We still have milkmen, bakers, butchers, greengrocers as well as a good selection of all of the major supermarkets.

When will their assault on our traditional shops (of which there are a few good ones in Ellesmere) end?

When we have no milkmen, bakers, butchers, greengrocers left and they can charge what they like.

So instead of being kept awake by the rattling of milk bottles from the dairy filling shed, we will be kept awake by the ratlting of Tesco trollies? :lol:

It is now the same in the ROI, there is a new one in Ballinamore...that has had to cut their prices, because people were still travelling half a hour over the border to Enniskillen to get to the mega 24 hour ASDA and Tesco. During the floods in Enniskillen the local (and not so local) population, was so incensed they could not get into ASDA, because the roundabout was flooded, that the local council dumped a load of shale over the roundabout to act as a causeway, so that people could get into the car park! :lol:

The likes of Tesco only succeed because people use them. If people keep using the traditional shops in Ellesmere they will continue to flourish, but the truth is people will flock to Tesco and abandon the others.

The likes of Tesco only succeed because people use them. If people keep using the traditional shops in Ellesmere they will continue to flourish, but the truth is people will flock to Tesco and abandon the others.

True up to a point, but they also succeed because they are ruthless and don't give a s**t for consumer choice, despite their protestations of "increasing competition" every time they apply for planning permission.

The trouble is that 10% "flock" to Tesco, enough to start undermining the local stores. This 10% can be enough to cause a local trader to close down, leaving the 90% who prefer the local trader with no choice at all.

Tesco also have shown, on occasion, a flagrant disregard for planning laws, which as a chartered town planner doesn't sit well with me. Building their Stockport store 25% bigger than they had planning permission for (this is documented) being an example.

True up to a point, but they also succeed because they are ruthless and don't give a s**t for consumer choice, despite their protestations of "increasing competition" every time they apply for planning permission.

The trouble is that 10% "flock" to Tesco, enough to start undermining the local stores. This 10% can be enough to cause a local trader to close down, leaving the 90% who prefer the local trader with no choice at all.

Tesco also have shown, on occasion, a flagrant disregard for planning laws, which as a chartered town planner doesn't sit well with me. Building their Stockport store 25% bigger than they had planning permission for (this is documented) being an example.

When planning permission is breached so blatantly why are they not made to knock it down?

Some effort has been made to mirror the canal warehouse on the other side of the basin, though it isn't clear from the photo here. I agree that it is a shame for the traditional shops in the town of Ellesmere but most of the grocery trade was already provided by Spar and Co-op supermarkets in the town. The Tesco also has very handy toilets just inside the door and I don't know whether they are prepared for the level of use it will get from boaters. The store has been open since July or August.

Hope they look after it better than they do their Bull’s Bridge store.

We are not ones to complain about much but Paula felt she just had to write to Tesco complaints department about the state of the approach from the canal. Paula attached some photos of the state of the place to her letter. Some of the photos can be seen here: http://www.nb-anon.com/Diaries/0912_Dec/Diary/01_Hayes.php

Their reply arrived back today and is as follows:

I appreciate that you have taken the time to write to us and it is only polite that we reply in a timely manner so I hope that you will accept my apologies for the delay in doing so.

I was surprised to see the photograph of the mess as you approach our Hayes Bull's Bridge store. I can certainly appreciate your concern.

I have discussed this with the stores Duty Manager, xxxxxxx. She went down to the canal to have a look for herself and can completely see where you're coming from. She has arranged for the Cleaning Manager to go down tomorrow and tidy this up. She also understands the importance of maintaining this and has assured me this will be adhered to.

Thanks for letting us know about this. I am very confident that this area will b a lot nicer the next time you visit the store.

However, if you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us at customer.service@tesco.co.uk .

Kind Regards

xxxxxxxxx

Customer Service Manager

Tesco Customer Service

It will be interesting to see what the site looks like next time we pass.

Oh for the good old days! Walking into town (15 minutes), into Sainsbury's - oops, can't, its shut, silly me, half closing day.

Next day, repeat journey, open this time. Join the first queue (counter service and separate queue for every product type) - 20 minutes, ah the delights of personal service. He's having a bad day and off-loads some of it on me. Never mind, we're all human. On to the next counter, only 10 minute wait here but the queue builds up behind me so the assistant is only prepared to serve me what I specifically ask for. This limits me to what I can see (half of the selection is in the back and not visible) and what I already know about. I make my choice. The assistant measures it off and asks for my bag. Bag? I've brought no bag. This was an impulse buy. Some delay while he finds something that will do provided it doesn't rain. And off I go. And so it goes on.

It must be understood that the people who work in supermarkets are not normal people, they are fiends in human disguise. They are pirates who are just waiting for the moment when they achieve true monopoly and then they are going to pillage the entire country for what its worth (about minus £175,000,000,000) and hold us to ransom. (When they die they are reincarnated as investment bankers.)

PS I worked for a supermarket group for 30 years and was amazed at the number of people in it who worked harder than they needed to earn their pay solely because they enjoyed the feeling of providing the best possible service to their customers. The service you get from supermarkets today is just staggeringly good. If you want the personal service from so-called traditional shops then you must be prepared to pay for the operational inefficiencies of this type of business - and mostly you just aren't!

I would shop at the local small businesses but they are more expensive, don't have the range of goods, don't have the quality of goods, the service generally isn't as good and don't have the same level of accessibility.

This Tescos is certainly handy for boaters, I cant imagine many will walk past it to shop elsewhere.

You cant take the trollies off site, the wheels lock up if you try and leave with them..

Usually only one wheel has the locking mechanism and if it works all you do is twist the trolley so lifting that wheel off the ground.

The trolley has left the theatre Tesco's or any other supermarket you wish to name.

Surely this is called progress??? We get a great choice/ service in our local Tesco. Surely putting a Tesco on the cut this must be good for boaters???

errr, are you sure?

if progress is tasteless crap sold at not very cheap prices then i am all for being stuck in the past. 

tesco has its uses. cheap beer at the moment, cheap clothes, and a reasonable range of homeware. the tinned and frozen stuff is what you expect from any supermarket.

the vast majority of their fresh produce is diabolical though. especially fruit and veg. i cant stand their milk neither.

co-op or waitrose is a better bet if you give a toss about yer food  :lol:

edited to remove errant a from beer.....

Edited by gazza

I would shop at the local small businesses but they are more expensive, don't have the range of goods, don't have the quality of goods, the service generally isn't as good and don't have the same level of accessibility.

This Tescos is certainly handy for boaters, I cant imagine many will walk past it to shop elsewhere.

I may live in a particularly good area but our local butchers is better AND cheaper than most supermarkets, collectively our high street can compete and now we have a sainsbury's local they have shown their teeth. In fairness Sainsbury have made a pact not to compete on fresh veg and pastry goods, they try and compete on meat but aren't in the hunt with Banables (try Banables Pork and Leek sausages, or their lamb and minty burgers... mmmmmmmmmmmm)

There is a very simplistic economic theory which holds a lot of truth. If there is a beach, 100 yards long, and two ice cream vendors in competition, where will they end up? Consumer logic says at opposite ends, or one third and two thirds along, but as each can relocate they end up next to each other at the half way mark, because in that position their opponent can't move and gain an advantage.

Tesco are not going to win in Ellesmere on quality, but by being in pole position

And despoiling a fine basin

"Handy" is the operative word here. Handy for odds 'n sods like J cloths or a new toothbrush, but for food they are pretty poor, and certainly not cheap or good quality. I rarely buy meat or veg from Tescos or any other major supermarket becuase it is both expensive and poor quality. I buy meat from local farms or butchers (there are good and bad in the latter case) and veg from either a box scheme or independent suppliers who offer a range that includes a good array of local produce. They tend to be cheaper than the supers, and even if they were not, the quality is umpteen times better. If you are happy eating low grade food and cannot be bothered to source decent ingredients, so be it.

Surely this is called progress??? We get a great choice/ service in our local Tesco. Surely putting a Tesco on the cut this must be good for boaters???

No. They are very poor as providers of food of any decent quality. I think this is called regress.

Edited by Dominic M

I'm afraid like it or not the big supermarkets are taking over the world.

Tesco do supermarkets and hypermarkets really well, as do Sainsbury's.

They also do the small local shop in the form of Tesco Express & Sainsbury Local.

It's market forces and we either need to understand it and shop with them or and get over it or fight it.

The last bastions of competition will be between the supermarkets, they've possibly trampled over all small shops, it's now for the Goliath's to fight it out.