The Bargee to be released on DVD March 2010

Chris J W

Featured Posts

Just going through my Amazon wish-list and discovered that The Bargee is finally being released on DVD next year.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_0_10?u...efix=The+Bargee

Not a bad price, either, at £9.98

Thanks for that, Chris

I have also just placed my order.

What a line up of actors: Harry H. Corbett, Hugh Griffith, Ronnie Barker, and Eric Sykes :lol:

Stewey

I wonder how long it took Cynthia to cycle back to Winkwell from Stoke Hammond Three?

But Hemel Pike was clearly a man of stamina, wasn't he! (A "real" man, despite lacking a boater's beard!).

(As indeed was Ronnie working quite so far on his own).

Unless you boated in the 1960s and 1970s, you might think the Eric Sykes character was a lot further from reality than he actually was. Some of the "noddy boaters" of the day really didn't fall that far short of his performance!

One question I always wonder about, is how many in the crowd, and those around Maffas top, were boaters? There are some actors there, like Hilda Baker: "We've found 'im!" and the other lady in that duo in the 'discovery' whose name escapes me, but played 'Enebriated Edna' in the nineties.

Then there's the boatman getting his receipt at Rose's before Hemel is spoken to - actors?

Derek

One question I always wonder about, is how many in the crowd, and those around Maffas top, were boaters?

It's clear that "Hemel" wasn't - I doubt a real boatman would have struck the side quite so firmly when pulling away from Bull's Bridge.

Obviously those making the film didn't think it worth doing another take. (..... Or perhaps he had tried several times, and the one used was the best of the bunch!).

One question I always wonder about, is how many in the crowd, and those around Maffas top, were boaters? There are some actors there, like Hilda Baker: "We've found 'im!" and the other lady in that duo in the 'discovery' whose name escapes me, but played 'Enebriated Edna' in the nineties.

Derek

Without getting my film out again and checking, I don't think Hilda Baker was in the Bargee, but the one you are thinking of, and I think she also spoke that line, was Patricia Hayes.

George ex nb Alton retired

Without getting my film out again and checking, I don't think Hilda Baker was in the Bargee, but the one you are thinking of, and I think she also spoke that line, was Patricia Hayes.

George ex nb Alton retired

Patricia Hayes was in it, but did not, I believe appear in the final credits.

One of the other aggressive boat women was Rita Webb, (from the Benny Hill Show, possibly ?).

No Hilda Baker, I think.

Lots of other faces in there, though....

Derek Nimmo as the hapless doctor who has to tell Hugh Griffith that his daughter is "preggers, old boy!" or Brian Wilde (Porridge/Last of the Summer Wine/Etc) as the policeman trying to sort out the impasse.

Sadly the big house by "Leg O Mutton Lock", actually Marsworth (or should that be Startop's End! :lol: ) Top, has lain empty for quite a while,and I'm led to believe is yet another bit of property that's in planned BW sell-offs.

Ronnie and Jo Turnbull would certainly have struggled to get to the pub in the direction they set off across those top gates - they only lead to the dry dock, and to some moorings!

It's clear that "Hemel" wasn't - I doubt a real boatman would have struck the side quite so firmly when pulling away from Bull's Bridge.

Obviously those making the film didn't think it worth doing another take. (..... Or perhaps he had tried several times, and the one used was the best of the bunch!).

As is my understanding, Harry Corbet was so bad at handling the boats that someone had to crouch behind him to actually steer. :lol:

Patricia Hayes was in it, but did not, I believe appear in the final credits.

One of the other aggressive boat women was Rita Webb, (from the Benny Hill Show, possibly ?).

No Hilda Baker, I think.

Lots of other faces in there, though....

Derek Nimmo as the hapless doctor who has to tell Hugh Griffith that his daughter is "preggers, old boy!" or Brian Wilde (Porridge/Last of the Summer Wine/Etc) as the policeman trying to sort out the impasse.

Sadly the big house by "Leg O Mutton Lock", actually Marsworth (or should that be Startop's End! :lol: ) Top, has lain empty for quite a while,and I'm led to believe is yet another bit of property that's in planned BW sell-offs.

Ronnie and Jo Turnbull would certainly have struggled to get to the pub in the direction they set off across those top gates - they only lead to the dry dock, and to some moorings!

Patricia Hayes! That's the name I couldn't get, and I think you are right, I'm getting Hilda Baker mixed up with Rita Webb.

The guy playing the Waterways Inspector was one of the criminal gang in the 1960 film starring Jack Hawkins - 'League of Gentlemen' - he was the radio cum bomb expert I think, played by Norman Bird. Not all the cast in Bargee are mentioned in the final credits.

I thought the top house had been in private ownership since the late eighties, but only a presumption.

The White Lion gets gets used too, Jo comes out after his 29 pints and heads off towards the Aylesbury arm.

But where did breakfast get thrown overboard? I thought it was opposite Rose's, but there's a building behind Ronnie in that sequence, and I don't remember a building ever there.

Derek

Ah! There's the full list - Thanks Stewey.

I think another tragedy is the house at the end of Bulbourne Yard - that's been empty a long time.

Edited by Derek R.

I bought my copy on DVD off ebay back in June, bit cheaper as well at £5.00 plus 50p p&p. :lol:

Just checked ebay but currently only available on VHS. :lol:

A slight aside and also a slightly forlorn hope, but does anyone know of a copy of the BBC TV film of Emma Smith's "Maidens' Trip" directed by Verity Lambert back in the late 70s? I tried BBC some time ago, but they don't seem to have kept a copy themselves.

I bought my copy on DVD off ebay back in June, bit cheaper as well at £5.00 plus 50p p&p. :lol:

For those who don't know what's being talked about, around 9 minutes, including lots of boating footage is here on....

You Tube link

That DVD must have been a dodgy copy, mind you, as it's not released until next year.

That DVD must have been a dodgy copy, mind you, as it's not released until next year.

Doesn't seem particularly dodgy, It all seemed above board etc, I had no reason to believe otherwise. :lol:

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2061/dsc02370mp.jpg

Why does it only show as link & not the photo :lol:

Edited by Jamboat

A slight aside and also a slightly forlorn hope, but does anyone know of a copy of the BBC TV film of Emma Smith's "Maidens' Trip" directed by Verity Lambert back in the late 70s? I tried BBC some time ago, but they don't seem to have kept a copy themselves.

I did not know of this but for starters here's a link to the cast etc.

http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/title/724693

Will continue to look for it. was it a good production?

http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/series/27621

some more detail, indication there were 3 x 45 min episodes

Edited by Southdowner

Doesn't seem particularly dodgy, It all seemed above board etc, I had no reason to believe otherwise. :lol:

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2061/dsc02370mp.jpg

Why does it only show as link & not the photo :lol:

You've put URL tags round it and not IMG tags.

dsc02370mp.jpg

The livery on the boat on that looks familiar as a hire company, but I can't think of it for the life of me.