Pump out toilets

jelunga

Featured Posts

Now I know we hammer toilets to death here, but I am just interested in them. Yeah, sad git you may say.

But please can I put this question to the audience.

For two people living on board 24/7, 265 days a year etc, how long do you go between pump outs, and what size tank have you got.

What I am trying to deduce is, for a normal pair of people, how many galls / litres of effluent does one produce per day / week / month whatever.

Why am I asking?

Well, the boat we have just bought (well, all except actualy paying for it) has a 50 gallon holding tank fitted, and I have a feeling that is on the small side.

Any (polite) views please?

K

It will depend on the type of toilet (dump-through, macerator, etc) as well as naturally on how you use it (do you flush every time, how much can you use the pub/hedge/etc).

But as a start: we have a conventional dump-through. Our tank is rather smaller than yours (I estimate only 35 gallons, I wish it was a bit bigger) and it normally lasts the two of us for between 2 & 3 weeks. If you reckon one gallon per person per day, that'll probably be abot right for when you're not ill but not using the on-shore facilities a lot.

On that basis, your 50 gallon tank should last the two of you 3-4 weeks.

The worst problem we find is when visitors come to see us, who are not used to boat living. In a weekend they usually manage to put about a week's worth of fresh water into the holding tank.

i have a 50 gall, can last 8-10 weeks on me tod, local waitrose keeps the pumpout time down, ( but i do shop there :lol: ). When my daughter stays over, doesn't reduce it by much, however, if she brings her friends on a couple of weekends, then the the time halves.

Now I know we hammer toilets to death here, but I am just interested in them. Yeah, sad git you may say.

For two people living on board 24/7, 265 days a year etc, how long do you go between pump outs, and what size tank have you got.

What I am trying to deduce is, for a normal pair of people, how many galls / litres of effluent does one produce per day / week / month whatever.

Why am I asking?

Well, the boat we have just bought (well, all except actualy paying for it) has a 50 gallon holding tank fitted, and I have a feeling that is on the small side.

K

We have a Sealand electric flush loo with remote vacuum casette.

The cassette holds 16 litres and has to be emptied daily and sometimes like weekends or if we have visitors about three times in two days.

On this basis with a fifty gallon tank it would be full within 10 - 14 days.

Keith.

I fitted a 57 gallon tank...my wife and I onboard....

Our usage..?...well...as they say in the film ' meet the Fockers'....if its brown flush it down...if its yellow let it mellow...

We don't let it settle too much during the day though...and give it the occasional flush...( yuk...loo talk)

Lasts us about 3 weeks - 4 weeks....with our macerator loo duel flush (eco / normal)

Would easily last 4 people a week.( 4 people being NON- yellow mellow people thus being allowed to flush normally) ..ignoring dodgy Kormas...

We like having several guages on it though...I have the Leesan red warning light that comes on when there is about 10 flushes left..( hidden where I can see it from the bed so I can see it if I've been 'lapse'.

I also fitted an MSC guage which I like a lot...above the loo flush...shows continuous monitoring from zero to full...and so we can work out pump out points about a week ahead...

We like the pump out..others like the cassette....I have no critisisms of that...(discalimer !!)

Horses for courses...

Hope this is informative...

Bob

80 gallon tank and two people using a Sealand Vacuflush lasts 6-8 weeks.

Generally though we empty the tank after about 5 weeks as the boat starts with a slight list to starboard and, as the tank fills, gradually changes to a slightly more pronounced list to port.

The only alternative is to buy more beer and wine and store it in the starboard lockers! :lol:

//Mike

Thanks for all the comments so far. I think maybe I was worrying too much. Interesting comments about visitors - that concerns me too. Maybe we shuld have a mobile portapotti for them to use!

Keep them coming - comments that is. I love toilets.

The toilet involved is a Jabsco manual flush, if that helps.

K

Edited by jelunga

I am fairly sure that most people with a pump out system have and alternative "toilet" equipment, from "bucket & chuck it" to a spare chemical loo. I know I will certainly carry a Porta Potti in the engine area.

I am thinking of using a maceration system.

Biggles

I am fairly sure that most people with a pump out system have and alternative "toilet" equipment, from "bucket & chuck it" to a spare chemical loo. I know I will certainly carry a Porta Potti in the engine area.

Biggles

I just can't stay away from this toilet topic !!

My 57 gallon tank (mentioned in my post above) fits nicely under the bed....the calorifier tank is to one side of it..and that leaves a gap in which I have a portapotti....and chemicals..

I think some kind of standby loo may be useful at some point...

Bob

One of the things we are doing with the Bensham is not throwing toilet paper down the dump through valve but, as the Greeks do - bag it in nappy sacks for disposal later.

This makes pump outs so much easier, the tank empties much quicker and easier.

The Ownerships boats we had shares in had dump through loos on which a 40 gallon tank seemed to last two of us just about a fortnight.

However, we came across a nice man from Leesan at the Southampton Boat Show and asked his advice about a macerator loo. For two people living on board 24/7 he said a 70 gallon tank would last about a fortnight.

Doubtless everybody will have their own different experiences, but hopefully this will help.

Regards,

Bob.

Biggles

You may need it with a macerator. We have a dump through which is more fool proof so don't.

Sue

Sue & everyone else...........

Macerators. I have 3 flats that have macerators in them for the last 7 years.

In these flats we very carefully explain the process of maceration and what they can cope with, we get them to sign an additional understanding as part of the tenancy agreement, and we warn them there is a charge of £150 for a service call (obvious reasons) that is found to be the fault of the tenant or guest by putting something down the loo that the macerator can't "process". We also have big signs in the bathrooms to the same effect.

In 21 (3 x7) service years I have been called out to 3 incidences that were tenants fault, 1 of which was malicious 1 was a toilet wipe that said flushable on the container and 1 tampon. All of which were charged to the tenant.

I have had 1 mechanical failure as well so on balance I think they are very reliable especially in the "tenant" environment.

The brand I use are Saniflo. I have no hesitation in saying this as I am very pleased with their performance. Note: I have no gain from this endorsement.

The reason for carrying a spare is more to do with lack of pump out facilities rather than unreliability issues. I wouldn't want to be caught short! :lol:

Biggles

Edited by Biggles

We have 130 gal tank and a Leesan macerator. When we first moved on board we 'experimented' by using macerator for all our needs, i.e. brown and yellow! :lol: no other facilities were used and it took 3 weeks for the two of us to fill tank to somewhere between two thirds and full. We have Tankwatch level sensors fixed at one third, two thirds and almost full, we have never let it register the highest level. In our case that equates to approx two to three gals per person per day I think.

Edited to add that macerator has operated flawlessly for 4.5 years

Edited by nb Innisfree

We have 130 gal tank and a Leesan macerator. When we first moved on board we 'experimented' by using macerator for all our needs, i.e. brown and yellow! :lol: no other facilities were used and it took 3 weeks for the two of us to fill tank to somewhere between two thirds and full. We have Tankwatch level sensors fixed at one third, two thirds and almost full, we have never let it register the highest level. In our case that equates to approx two to three gals per person per day I think.

Edited to add that macerator has operated flawlessly for 4.5 years

What the heck do you eat...!?

2 people 130 gallons in 3 weeks...?

Didn't quantify this in the initial response....but I had normal 'flushers' on board and the tank lasted over 2 weeks...57 gallons...

Guess its down to the individual users...but 2 people..130 gallons 3 weeks...?

Sorry....guess I'm getting hysterical....but in the nicest way...

Another poster said 80 gallons....6 weeks...

Can't see it myself...130 gallons...3 weeks...( darn.....sweating again.... :lol: )

PS...lay off the Vindaloos :lol: !!!

Bob

x

Edited by Bobbybass

Why am I asking?

K

;) Hi

This greatly depends on how much of your already limited storage space you wish to waste on a pumpout tank. If you get a realy huge one then you could use up all your storage space in one hit !!! oh and u will find nearly everyone with a pumpout system also carries a proper boat toilet anyway for when they cannot get to empty their pumpout tank........ :lol::lol::lol::lol:

;) Hi

This greatly depends on how much of your already limited storage space you wish to waste on a pumpout tank. If you get a realy huge one then you could use up all your storage space in one hit !!! oh and u will find nearly everyone with a pumpout system also carries a proper boat toilet anyway for when they cannot get to empty their pumpout tank........ :lol::lol::lol:;)

Aha...here we go...pumpout versus cassette....in a subtle way...!!

People with cassettes...say 'I wouldn't give you the time of day for a pump out'...but...when I see them carting a cassette along a tow path...and I bid them a cheery 'good day'...they tend to scowl back....

Bring it on...!!

Bob.... :lol:

Edited by Bobbybass

I've got a 100 gal holding tank and a dump through.

Only me on board and it lasts about 8 - 10 weeks between pump-outs.

My tank also goes across the width of the boat (it's the step up in to the engine room) so it doesn't cause any problems with trim.

What the heck do you eat...!?

2 people 130 gallons in 3 weeks...?

Didn't quantify this in the initial response....but I had normal 'flushers' on board and the tank lasted over 2 weeks...57 gallons...

Guess its down to the individual users...but 2 people..130 gallons 3 weeks...?

Sorry....guess I'm getting hysterical....but in the nicest way...

Another poster said 80 gallons....6 weeks...

Can't see it myself...130 gallons...3 weeks...( darn.....sweating again.... :lol: )

PS...lay off the Vindaloos :lol: !!!

Bob

x

I was quoting an extreme scenario as an example, I didn't say we used 130 gall, that's the total capacity, we filled it to somewhere between 2 thirds and full which is in the region of 100 gal. Macerator uses 1.4 litres per short flush and 2.8 litres per full flush, we only use full flush to keep pipes clear to prevent any odours. We do make it last much longer by more careful use. We both eat a normal diet.

Believe it or not, but I was stating the facts for the benefit of the OP.

Just being curious but what are the dimensions of your holding tank?

Edited by nb Innisfree

Very informative thread, lots of useful information that I have been looking for.

So it looks like a two week cycle would be a good starting point for a pump-out service.

A question I like to throw in here, if I may..

How much would you be willing to pay to empty a cassete (I would empty and rinse it etc), taking into account that you would not have to walk down the towpath, don't have to carry a heavy cassette, don't have to clean it,etc.. Think rain, mud, etc... :lol:

I was quoting an extreme scenario as an example, I didn't say we used 130 gall, that's the total capacity, we filled it to somewhere between 2 thirds and full which is in the region of 100 gal. Macerator uses 1.4 litres per short flush and 2.8 litres per full flush, we only use full flush to keep pipes clear to prevent any odours. We do make it last much longer by more careful use. We both eat a normal diet.

Believe it or not, but I was stating the facts for the benefit of the OP.

Just being curious but what are the dimensions of your holding tank?

I'm not on the boat at present....but it was the only one that Leesan had...that would fit under the bed....

Its something like......20 inches high......2 foot wide...and six feet long...but thats a guess...

I know they had several..and this one is specially made to fit under the bed in that kind of space...

It is along the centre line of the boat on the corridor side of the bed....and leaves me a space for my calorifier and a portapotti.

Its capacity is 57 gallons..

Cheers.

Bob